Looking for Scooter rental in Grand Cayman

Hollyday

We will be in Grand Cayman next Tuesday the 25th and we're thinking of renting scooters. What we would like to know is:

Where can you rent scooters that are in good shape?

What is the approximate cost to rent scooters?

Are the roads safe for scooters?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

While I haven't rented scooters there, I remember seeing a couple of scooter places right downtown, just to the left of the terminals. One was on the main road that heads towards Seven Mile Beach, the other was off on a side street...across from Senor Frog maybe? Both could be seen from the road along the water, though, and had scooters out front. If no one else posts in time, my recommendation is to read to the left when you get off the tender, and walk a few blocks. They were both very close, maybe five or ten minutes walk, maximum, depending on which terminal you arrive at. Sorry I can't be more help...

There is a shop that rents them on Shedden Road near the waterfront. The shop is a retail store tha sells souvenirs. I don;t recall any signs at all about scooters for rent.

They only bring four or five around front at any given time but they have lots of them in their parking lot around back. The shop is next to the KFC restaurant. I rented from them one day while my vehicle was in the shop. I think it was US$40 for a full 24 hour day. Rate may be a bit less for only part day rentals. Rate included helmet.

Generally roads are in good to fair condition. There are very, very few unpaved roads or driveways.

The more remote eastern end of the island has roads with speeds up to 50mph - much faster than these rental scooters are capable of going.

Note: The fuel tank capacity of the scooter I rented was only about a gallon - perhaps less. That would be fine for getting around on the west side but was not enough for a round trip to the far tip of the east end of the island and back to town. When the tank gets down to half a tank, pull into the next gas station you see to top up if you are out exploring the East End.

drew sailbum and bookbabe,

Thank you both, very much for your help... As we're avid motorcycle riders we've decided to check out the places you've both mentioned and pack our helmets. We don't like wearing other's helmets (one incident with lice was enough) and check out the places you've both mentioned.

Thanks again.

Just a word of caution... I always wondered why I would see so many warnings about not renting scooters on the islands... I seem to remember it a lot in cruise literature.. On my last cruise, on Dominican Republic I understood why or at least party why... We took a cab to the beach area and as the van was full I sat up front with the driver. We came up behind two scooter riders who were riding on the shoulder and this driver GLEEFULLY came awful close, knew exactly what he was doing and did it purposfully and it occured to me that a lot of them must do this for amusements sake... I didn't say anything but made a mental note to never rent one because of this... I think he would have been happy to see them dump...

Just a word of caution... I always wondered why I would see so many warnings about not renting scooters on the islands... I seem to remember it a lot in cruise literature.. On my last cruise, on Dominican Republic I understood why or at least party why... We took a cab to the beach area and as the van was full I sat up front with the driver. We came up behind two scooter riders who were riding on the shoulder and this driver GLEEFULLY came awful close, knew exactly what he was doing and did it purposfully and it occured to me that a lot of them must do this for amusements sake... I didn't say anything but made a mental note to never rent one because of this... I think he would have been happy to see them dump...

Thanks so much NanCan, we will use much caution. We have rented scooters before and are motorcyclists...it's amazing how often this happens. We saw it in Roatan too. But it's also amazing how often it happens here in the US. YOu would be surprised. Some people get their kicks in really mean-spirited ways.

As a point of clarification, in my experience, Cayman is nothing like the Dominican. Most drivers I've encountered in Cayman have been courteous and friendly, and I never feel nervous on the roads there. The only erratic drivers I've ever seen have almost always been in a rental car... :D

the organization with which I served made it a general order to prohibit anyone from renting a two wheeled motorized vehicle in the islands. This was after sending TOO many home busted up.

among the experiences I've had to deal with:

A scooter is not a bike - don't be surprised if the brakes are questionable

Are you used to frequently experiencing SAND on your ride?

Do you routinely drive on the 'other side'?

Cayman is better right? Higher 'class' island?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=101123

I'm a hypocryt - I rented scooters b4. After sending home a few busted up folks I became a champion . . .

• 3 weeks later...

I love renting a moped and getting away from the action on an island and finding a remote beach,a nice opposite to the heavy action of the ship for me and whoever I am with, been to some pretty remote places by moped that there is a not another person for miles, and certainly not anyone from the ship!

That said had some wild stories, moped breaking down 15 miles from the town where rented (and ship) with not much time to make it. Towed the busted moped with a bunch of tee-shirts rolled up and tied together across the island (with my brother on it of course) at 40mph, that was interesting. Nobody answered the 1 phone number we were given.

Buddy wiped his out on a curve, banged up big time, blood all over the place and on the moped, lights dangling off the thing. Looks like he just returned from an off road rally and we bring it back and the shop owner says what the heck happened and my buddy says "What do you mean?" ha, that ended up being I think $500 or so , maybe $700 to make the ship.

I could go on, but not meaning to scare anyone, I have rented dozens of times, maybe more on islands and still do, it's my thing, just be carefull!

Archived