Can we check our bags an hour or so before we board? We want to surprise the kids.

scrapulous

What an awesome and cool idea!!

I wanted to do this for my wife for her 30th birthday. We would drive from Florida up to KY to "VISIT" my parents, wink wink..... and then after a few days, we would drive up to Louisville to the Mall or something without he KIDS for alone time; end up at the airport.... fly to Seattle and do the 7 day on the Spirit to ALASKA!!

My only problems are the following: It is July and HOT in Florida and Kentucky. How do I accidentally pack clothes that will be warm/comfortable in Alaska. And get her to pack the same?

This would be an absolute amazing surprise. The clothing issue is a challenge though.

Could you gather the clothes together sometime when your wife is out of the house and ship them to your parents house? Then your parents could pack them in some of their suitcases and you can discreetly put the bags in the car before heading out for your "time away from the kids"? Complicated. And don't forget the necessary documents.

Also, for the OP, PLEASE come back and let us know how the surprise went and also how you enjoyed the cruise!

Your idea for your wife's 30th birthday is fantastic!!!!! I have an idea for your "cold weather" clothing issue. Forget about trying to sneak her clothes, just let her pack on her own for warm weather and then when you get there, just buy her new clothes for the cruise! It would be a nice little add on to her birthday. And what woman DOESN'T like new clothes! I'm sure there are many shops on board for her to pick from. Cost would be a factor though, keep that in mind, depending on how much there is to get. Just an idea!

What an awesome and cool idea!!

I wanted to do this for my wife for her 30th birthday. We would drive from Florida up to KY to "VISIT" my parents, wink wink..... and then after a few days, we would drive up to Louisville to the Mall or something without he KIDS for alone time; end up at the airport.... fly to Seattle and do the 7 day on the Spirit to ALASKA!!

My only problems are the following: It is July and HOT in Florida and Kentucky. How do I accidentally pack clothes that will be warm/comfortable in Alaska. And get her to pack the same?

Hmmmmmmm....have extra suitcases??? make a list, and when she's in the shower, at work, at the grocery store, whatever quick pack as much stuff as you can into the other suitcase???

that's a tough one....Hmmm

Yeah; the cost thing would be bad. But, I don't want to steal her thread... I was just thinking out loud again. Thanks for the idea.

Pack her winter clothes and mail them to your parents the week prior. Just pack jeans, light long sleeves a winter jacket and the like.

Hi Guys!!!! Yes, it worked! They were TOTALLY surprised.

I would have posted sooner, but I got the FLU. Ugh. I'm feeling somewhat better today, and no fever, so I'm back online. The kids are in school, and no one is sick but me.

Okay, so, the story:

We packed their suitcases and got them in the car while they were visiting my mom for the evening. On Monday morning, my kids didn't seem to think anything of the fact that dad was home from work. :confused: We were sure they'd wonder, but they may have lost track of days, since we went to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels over the weekend. So, hubby finally asked if they wondered why he was home. They said no, lol. So he said he took the day off to go to Galveston one last time before school starts. They were super excited.

When we got to Galveston, hubby dropped us off on the Strand and said he was going to park the car. He then checked the bags. I had put a luggage tag on a flat of water bottles, but they told him at the pier that they changed their rules a month ago, and now the water has to be in a bag or carried on. So he called me to ask what to do so as not to ruin the surprise. The kids would definitely think it was odd that he shows up to the Strand with all that water! I said I could buy a beach bag at a shop and we could pack it that way. Just then a police officer at the pier heard him on the phone and offered to keep the water for him while he went to get us. Nice, huh? So hubby then drove to Lighthouse and parked the car, and walked over to get us. Then he suggested we all go look at the ship, which they love to do. After a few minutes, he asked if they wanted to go see the terminal building. They said no, lol. :p But he said he wanted to check it out, so we went. When the officer saw us, he called hubby over to get the water. My kids and I kept walking. When he saw dad with the water, my son asked where that came from. Hubby said someone asked him to carry it for them, lol. Amazingly, he believed him! As we walked into the building, my son kept saying "They're going to think we're getting on a cruise!" I just said, "well, we'll see how it goes." The kids didn't even notice that I gave someone our passports, lol. They were too busy looking around. Then we get in the "boarding" line and my son said "they're really going to think we're going on a cruise now!" And my husband said, "Yeah, they probably will." So after a minute or so in line, with us not saying anything still, my daughter asked what we were doing in line. FINALLY my son, the 10 year old, figured it out. I got out his camera which takes little video clips, and asked what he just figured out. He told my daughter we were going on a cruise. She started jumping up and down. They were both SO excited, it was really cute! I can't believe how long it took them to figure it out!

I asked my son how it's possible he didn't figure it out sooner, and he said he kept thinking as we walked into the building that maybe were going on a cruise, but he was scared he was wrong, so he didn't want to ask, lol.

Anyway, they loved the whole trip. The loved the Mayan ruins, the snorkeling in Cozumel, eating in the MDR, everything. It really was a great week!

Except that I got the flu once I got home, but I'm on the mend, so all is well.

Thanks for sharing my excitement!

Archived