Cruisinmama 06, Michelle - I need your help please

Florida_cruisers

Since you are one of the experts on this board on cruising with children I need your help PLEASE.

We are going on the Freedom in October on a Western Caribbean cruise to Cozumel, Labadee, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman. What excursions would you recommend we can do with a 3.5 year old boy who cannot swim yet. He is very adventurous and we have traveled with him extensively all over the world, but most of the excursions have an age restriction or/and for children that can swim (we have tried to teach him with an instructor who came to our house every other day for the entire Summer and he refuses to learn).

Thank you in advance, I am desperate on what to do at these ports aside from just going to the beach and shop.

Since you are one of the experts on this board on cruising with children I need your help PLEASE.

We are going on the Freedom in October on a Western Caribbean cruise to Cozumel, Labadee, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman. What excursions would you recommend we can do with a 3.5 year old boy who cannot swim yet. He is very adventurous and we have traveled with him extensively all over the world, but most of the excursions have an age restriction or/and for children that can swim (we have tried to teach him with an instructor who came to our house every other day for the entire Summer and he refuses to learn).

Thank you in advance, I am desperate on what to do at these ports aside from just going to the beach and shop.

We are doing this same itin in Sept and will have a 3 year old with us. DS cannot swim either.

I know you didn't ask me but since crusinmamma is awol for the moment, I will add my 2 cents!

We are doing a land tour thru Marva Shaw in Jamaica http://www.knowjamaica.com . She provides car seats. We are doing Hidden Falls instead of dunns river falls because hidden falls is a falls that our children can enjoy as well.

We are doing a land tour in Grand Cayman thru http://www.captainmarvins.com . We were going to do a land tour thru http://www.nativeway.com but it sold out.

In Coz we are going to do paradise beach.

In Labadee we are going to hang on the ship and let DS run in the water areas.

Hope that helps!

My advice is to show your son all the things he CAN'T do because he doesn't want to swim!! It may not make any difference, but who knows, it might be just the incentive he needs. My husband absolutely did NOT want to go in the water when he was a toddler - and they lived at a beach! His mom painted a little iodine duckie on his thigh and instructed him to 'get the duckie wet', and he dutifully returned to show her that he had done so... all was well until the neighbor boy ran up and squealed that he had gone in up to his ankles and splashed the duckie. ha ha ha Things changed shortly thereafter when one of the cute girls his age was in the water... :rolleyes: It's all about incentive. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you about excursions, since I've never had to look for anything for a child that young or a non-swimmer. I just wanted to (hopefully) give you a couple of ideas for the swimming because I think it's so important to know how; not only does it keep you safer around water, but it opens up a world of possible adventures. My daughter and I are getting scuba certified this December! :)

AWOL! HAHAHAHAHAAHA! I was missing for 7 hours...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

A 3.5 year old generally doesn't know "how to swim". Yes, yes, I know there are the exception. My youngest could swim at 3, but her older sister couldn't. And we go to the public pool every day and hang with other families - the majority of the 3-5 year olds cant swim. They rely on vests. And they stay close to the stairs.

So I just wanted to start by saying, its not unusual at all that your 3.5 year old isn't swimming yet. :)

So for excursions -

Cozumel - I always liked two beaches for families in Cozumel - Paradise or Passion Island. Both very nice.

Grand Caymen - we did the butterfly express tour and we really didn't like it. If I had to do it again, I would make it a beach day. Some really like the turtle farm there. I haven't personally been to the turtle farm so I dont know for sure.

Labadee - of course, an easy beach day. No need to do anything. Bring sand toys.

Ocho - lots of people like the tour operator that Sas posted about - Marva Shaw. I think the hidden falls sounds like a wonderful idea.

In Cozumel... the Dolphin Encounter at Chankunaab Park is something that the adults can enjoy, and kids under 6 go free (if you book directly through them)

It's also $20-$30 cheaper than doing the cruise excursion per adult... minus the $6 cab ride.

We did the Dolphin Encounter this past November most recently... Our friends' 4 year old didn't want to get into the water, and instead watched everyone with the dolphin from the dock with his life vest on.

We didn't mind... he was FREE! (woohoo!)

dolphins.jpg

Archived