Alaskan Golden Princess versus Diamond Princess itinerary

Sailkeywest

So, basically hubby and I have the Diamond princess which includes cruising of College Fjord booked for September 2010 in cabin C753 (aft corner), but am considering doing the Golden Princess cruise for that time (in the same cabin) which includes cruising of Glacier Bay, but omits College Fjord.

The benefits from this from what I consider are that:

1) The Golden Princess cruise embarks from Seattle, which will cut airline time down by about 3 hours, and there will be no need to take a shuttle from Whittier to Anchorage (another hour and 45 mins tacked on to travel time, when we disembark). --big point with hubby

2) I see that the Golden Princess went into drydock for remodeling in 2009, and cannot find any information on when the last time the Diamond Princess was updated.

3) Leaving from Seattle would be approximately $500 cheaper, from my estimates. We could use that cash on the spa or excursions or whatever.

4) We could eliminate additional hotel fees and save time because we would probably leave the day before the cruise to arrive in Seattle, but could just leave right from the ship to go home when we come back rather than spending an additional night in a hotel in Anchorage.

My question is, does anyone have any opinions on which ship or itinerary is preferred? I would think ofc that college fjord would be a highlight, but don't really know if it would be missed if we chose the Golden Princess cruise. Being on a nicely new remodeled ship might be worth it?

As always, any input is appreciated! Thank you :)

I think that Glacier Bay is a highlight, but College Fiord is less so. I also think that spending time in Vancouver and/or the interior of Alaska (Talkeetna or Denali) is fabulous. However, if you would be not be spending much time pre or post cruise, I'd probably go with Seattle. I don't think that you'll go wrong with either ship.

I have been on both routes and both ships and I would do the Golden due to stopping in glacier Bay. it is a National park and it is fabulous. Also it is round trip Seattle which saves time and costs to fly in: also I was on the Golden just after dry-dock and they did a marvelous job. The Diamond I think does not go into dry-dock until next year.

Marilyn

Well we took the golden last month,and were really pleased with the crew,and the new amenities on the golden,and we thought the narrator did a really good job too,so i guess if it were me i would pick the golden,after all you do want to get your monies worth right?:p;)

The Diamond Princess goes to College Fjord or Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay in 2010. The Golden Princess goes to either Tracy Arm Fjord or Glacier Bay in 2010. You can do a small boat cruise out of Whittier to see College Fjord without doing so on a cruise ship. However, it's much harder to see Hubbard Glacier on your own. As an FYI - the Coral Princess (Sat. departures) and the Island Princess (Monday departures) have the same itinerary as the Diamond, and they are slightly smaller ships.

I was also on the Golden Princess in May, and the ship is just beautiful. I would be interested in another Golden Alaska cruise, especially if it went to Glacier Bay. On the other hand - I enjoyed spending time in the interior of Alaska as much as the cruise portion, so will probably do a one-way next time.

Ok, I did it and made the jump to the Glacier Bay Golden Princess Cruise for September 2010! (cabin C753 too!) Thanks so much for all the input, and special thanks to georoc for tipping me off about this cruise! *so excited* :)

Ok, I did it and made the jump to the Glacier Bay Golden Princess Cruise for September 2010! (cabin C753 too!) Thanks so much for all the input, and special thanks to georoc for tipping me off about this cruise! *so excited* :)

If your plan is to exclusively cruise and not do a cruise tour, this is probably the best way to go.

College Fjord was nice, we got much closer to the Harvard Glacier than the others and watched it calving, something we didn't see on the other glaciers we visited on that cruise. But it also started at 5:30am and was over by 8am.

Archived