Help with temp info/clothing??

David and I are trying to get ready for our cruise from Venice through the Greek Islands, home from Rome in October but his mom is very ill and the doctors have advised us that her days are numbered. It has certainly taken some of the joy of planning this trip, but nevertheless, we know that she may linger months and we are moving forward with our trip plans with the blessings of his siblings. We have trip insurance...

With that in mind, I hope you cc'ers will forgive my plea for help with temps and clothing...I'm just not thinking very clearly these days...

Are we looking at temps mid-day in the 80s? 70s? Evenings in the 50s? 60s? Our cruise is from October 1-13...

You guys are the best to offer up help...I need some!!

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Very sorry to hear about the difficult situation you are dealing with. I can relate ... and know how much it means to have the understanding of other family members.

We were in the Med at that time last year and for the most part, temps were in the mid-70's during the day, and cooler (60's) at night. Further north (Venice) may be in the 60's/50's). Capri's, lightweight pants, short sleeves, a light jacket (I take a lightweight rain jacket), will work well for daytime. You should still be able to wear shorts in some of the more southern areas, outside of the cities. Locals will be in fall clothing (darker colors) ... tourists will be in both summer and fall attire, depending on where you are.

If you have time to check weatherunderground.com, you can get a good idea of what temps are like (I usually check it close to our trip date for various places that we'll be visiting, to see if I need to make adjustments to my packing.)

Jennifer I have been in these ports of call this time of the year as well. You can really have some swings in weather. For example in Venice on morning it was fairly cool and then the next day warm.

In general ports in Greece likely to be in 80's and Venice could be around 50. So bring clothing that you can layer particularly as you begin the day.

Very sorry to hear about the illness.

Keith

Susan & Keith, thanks so much for the advice. I already feel like I can get my head back into this trip, one we've looked forward to for so long.

The layering advice is just what I needed to hear! I can do that!

Temps sound lovely, can't wait to escape the heat and humidity of the Gulf Coast...even in October, it can be like summertime here.

Also, thanks for the words of encouragement. I know my MIL would want us to go and enjoy the trip, she's traveled abroad many times and always loved to regale us with stories of long ago.

Jennifer

Archived