Southern Caribbean

beegsmom

We have recently retired and have booked our very first cruise! We are going to the Bahamas on the Sky in late October. If all goes well, we would like to go down to the Southern Caribbean islands. We would appreciate it if you guys would share your thoughts on the best time of the year to go down there(weather wise, etc.). We want to avoid Spring Break, Summer Vacations, and Holiday Trips where there might be a large number of teens and children on board(no offense to those who travel with kids). It looks like January-February before Spring Break; Early May after Spring break but before kids are out for summer vacation; or maybe late October early November toward the end of hurricane season. Can you help us? Thanks for your help in advance!

We went on our 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise the week ending Easter Sunday (March 23) in 2008. Don't know how we got SO LUCKY, but we JUST missed the bulk of Spring Breakers!! The staff of the Jewel said that the cruise before ours had 800 Spring Breakers onboard!!! :eek: I would say early May would be the best. Cruises we have taken during that time have fewer children and college students.

October will give you the best chance at fewer kids and you are at the end of hurricane season. We did the 9 day Southern on the Pearl , wonderful cruise . Have fun.

Get your self an AE on the stern , you'll love it ;)

October will give you the best chance at fewer kids and you are at the end of hurricane season.

Hurricane season is not over until December 1! I am a Native Floridian and have seen MANY storms in October in my life!!:eek: But that being said, the ships seem to almost always find a way around the storms. The seas will most likely be a bit rougher that time of year, however. Some find that a PLUS, others not so much!!

I wouldn't worry about hurricanes so much... the cruise line will make sure, as much as possible, passengers don't have an unpleasant experience. The southern islands, Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire are usually considered outside the typical hurricane track (please note... I am not saying they don't get them... it's just much more infrequent).

Not that we're seasoned cruisers but my wife and have done 4 Caribbean cruises, all in late October or early November... never had an issue with rough seas, missed ports or anything. Not that it couldn't happen but the cruise line can reroute the ship, and there are plenty of port options in the Caribbean. I'd rather that than to take a chance on a land-based resort vacation... they have a more difficult time packing up their property and buildings and moving them to another area. :D

Two years ago my wife and I did the 14 day Circle the Caribbean cruise on the Dawn out of NYC and ending in Miami. We departed the end of October and had no issues with weather whatsoever. There was one system brewing up the east coast on the two at seas days we travelled south from NYC... but the captain took the ship further out to avoid rough seas.

We absolutely loved the southern islands, especially Aruba, and wish there were more cruise options to get to them.

Plus, as has been mentioned... that time of year reduces the amount of kids and teens on board. We have never experienced a cruise with more then a handful of teens or kids.

Howdy Beegsmom!..

I noticed with interest that you sail on the Norwegian Sky in late October,and wonder whether you will be sailing on Sky on the 30th.October?

We had the opportunity of spending a two-week vacation there, and we experienced excellent weather at all times, and never a dull day.

The ocassional refreshing shower may be expected, however it clears quickly.

We found the weather to be sunny and mild, with low humidity at sea-level and not windy at all.

The Balmy Bahamas had no sultry heat in October, and we spent the best part of every day on the beach under Tiki Huts and cooled off in the temperate Atlantic ocean.

Living in the Southern Hemisphere, we share the Atlantic Ocean, and together with the cold Benguela Current we find much cooler sea-temperatures than in the Bahamas.

You will be entranced by the Beautiful Bahamas with their pristine white beaches and clear warm turquoise seas.

Here's hoping that you have a wonderful Cruise!

Regards,

Boardtalker.

We did an 11-day southern caribbean out of NYC on October 20th in 2007 and there were no weather issues at all. There were maybe 5 kids on the entire ship (I'm joking...but there were hardly any). We had a great intinerary and Dominica & Barbados were my favorite ports on that crusie. Enjoy your Bahamas cruise also, you'll be hooked like many of us...:D... & welcome to CC.

The longer the cruise, the less you will see of families. Our best cruises have been the long ones, not just because of families, but more time to truly relax and enjoy. Sometimes with sort ones, you are too busy doing this and going there.

Since you are both retired, and free to travel "whenever", I would take the Dec 4th Dawn cruise. This is the cheapest NCL southern cruise of the year, the weather is great, and there are almost no kids aboard.

Al

We sailed eastern carribean on the dawn in 2007 in the first week of December and hit a tropical Storm (our first cruise ever). The captain sailed us out of the way under Puerto Rico. We missed a port (Samana, DR). So we missed a port - and had one day of rough seas... it did nothing to make our cruise any less fun! I wouldn't worry so much about the storms (comming from someone whos been there). However I am only 27 and wouldn't want to be on a ship during Spring Break - So i don't blame you for avoiding THAT!

Archived