Do you take your passport with you?

CRUISING71

Hi,

After we dock at port...do we have to take our passport along with us? Or the card is good enough?

Thanks,

Tibbie

No you don't have to......all they ask is for you to bring picture id(drivers license) and your sail and sign card.........

Some people are afraid they might miss the ship so they take their passports......but it is not mandatory.......we don't...

Some people don't even have passports because the cruiselines don't mandate it..........

I never carry my Passport off the ship. I do carry a color copy of the inside info pages. I was told many years ago by an embasy official that carrying a copy "may" speed up processing of getting a new one if needed. Not really sure if that will help if a problem comes up, never had to test it.

We take our passports with us because that's what they are for. A copy won't do anything for you. Would you take a copy of your driver's license and lock up the original? There isn't any more chance that your passport will be stolen than your cash, credit cards, license, S&S card. Just be vigilant and everything will be fine.

We take our passports with us because that's what they are for. A copy won't do anything for you. Would you take a copy of your driver's license and lock up the original? There isn't any more chance that your passport will be stolen than your cash, credit cards, license, S&S card. Just be vigilant and everything will be fine.

Personally for us it would.....our cash, s&s cards, cc cards and licenses all fit in my dh's board shorts pocket and all are waterproof:D Passports are too big and not waterproof:D

On a closed loop cruise, the only real reason to have a Passport Book is so that if something bad happens, you will be able to fly back to the US quickly. If you leave your PPbook in the ship's room safe, and you get into trouble (like the ship sails without you), you're screwed.

You darn well better be carrying your passport book with you when on foreign soil. To not do so, in my opinion, is acting irresponsibly.

Cargo shorts .... man, when are you going to learn? it's all about the cargo shorts!

Don't wear cargo shorts in port........didn't ya read the other thread about people wearing their bathing suits in port:confused: Come on catch up:p:D

We are the disgusting ones that just wear our suits in port and don't bring extra clothing LMAO!!!

I would never go to a foreign country without my passport with me. What if something happens while you're there (like an accident or something similar) where you could not return to the ship to finish your cruise? I would rather be bothered with carrying it around than have the trouble you will have if something happens and you don't have it.

Don't wear cargo shorts in port........didn't ya read the other thread about people wearing their bathing suits in port:confused: Come on catch up:p:D

We are the disgusting ones that just wear our suits in port and don't bring extra clothing LMAO!!!

Musta missed that one ... And I think I'm rather glad I did.

Hi,

After we dock at port...do we have to take our passport along with us? Or the card is good enough?

Thanks,

Tibbie

PLEASE take the passport with you, that's the reason you got it... as for the "card", it is only good for land crossing into Mexico or Canada... does no good in any other country.

Again TAKE it with, leave a copy in your safe and with someone at home. If for some extremely small chance of losing it a copy will help with getting a new one BUT a copy will not help much if you need the actual passport.

I never ever take the passport off the ship - you obviously have a greater chance of losing it or having it stolen when it is not locked up in your cabin safe!!!

I do keep a laminated copy of passport info with me in my beach safe - most of my excursions end up in the 'water' and I would hesitate to leave my passport in beach bag while I was out snorkelling or swimming. All my valuables are on my person so if anything happens to my 'stuff' I can still get on the ship!

I have and I haven't. Sometimes depends on what I'm doing, but I agree with others that I'd rather have it with me when in a foreign country. If you were to miss the ship, there are some places you would definitely need the passport to get to the next port, or even back into your home country.

If I'm going to the beach, I'm more leery of taking it. If I'll have a backpack with me all day (including excursions where we take a snorkeling boat or something) then I'll definitely carry it. I've never had trouble finding a locker at a beach or water park. Then I can be sure everything is safe. I'd hate to have my sandals walk away without me and have to make my way back to the ship barefoot.

Has anyone ever had their passport stolen while in a port? If so, how is that handled? Just curious.:confused:

Unfortunatly yes, maybe I dropped it or it was lifted, I don't know for sure. I was in San Juan PR so a picture ID was all I needed to fly home. I was glad I had a photocopy though, so I could give them the number to flag it against use. There is some extra paperwork and then you pay full price for a new one.

I still carry it with me off ship in foriegn ports but I'm more careful now:D.

Archived