Good beach in Mykonos

guccibaby

There are a couple of popular beaches in Mykonos.

Supposedly, we were told that if you get off the ship, and head in the opposite direction of where Mykonos Town (Hora) is located, you walk uphill then downhill about 20 minutes there a beach there. I only say supposedly because I never saw it, so I'm just passing along directions given when we were on the ship.

However, I can tell you that the most popular and well-known beaches on the island are Paradise/Super Paradise and Plati Yialos. You will need either a taxi or the bus to get to either of them. Also, the bus to Paradise Beach will stop first a Palaga beach.

Paradise and Super Paradise are the party beaches. They are also beaches where nudity is ok.

Plati Yialos is supposed to be a family beach.

The bus station is located just past where the windmills in Mykonos Town are located. You need to purchase tickets before you get on the bus. You can get it at any newsstand. Just tell them where you want to go. The cost of the tickets depends on where you're going. I'll include a picture of the signage at the bus station in Hora.

Since I only went to Paradise (Super Paradise is right next to it), I'll only talk about that one. In the morning, the beach is pretty, quiet and desserted. We were told by someone that works there that it's a super party beach (think people dancing on table tops) from about 5 pm until early in the morning hours. And then during the day, all the partiers are sleeping. So if you're there on a cruise, you'll probably miss the party. When you get to the beach, there's all sorts of chairs and umbrellas laid out. After talking to a bunch of the workers who were cleaning up, you're free to sit on a beach chair and hang out for free in the morning. They don't start collecting rental fees on the beach chairs until about noon.

Here's a few pictures from the beach the day I was there.

Oh, there's also a small little beach right near Mykonos Town. It's closer to the end of town where the shuttle from the ship will drop you off. It's not that large and there are no chairs or umbrellas. But there is sand and water and there were people using it.

121473361_Alisa2(242).jpg.967a871f6cf9ece209bf081f296dcc21.jpg

1124075189_Alisa2(243).jpg.468e2e9d2a347b33999cb0a899189b65.jpg

908862158_Alisa2(244).jpg.b2f9340f11febbaff699f3f51146c84e.jpg

439785511_Alisa2(246).jpg.e8cc118fa77caf51e2e752c8b0e07602.jpg

1600361794_Alisa2(250).jpg.fd82a374e951ea569017209d1d9da715.jpg

Can't speak about any other beach other than Super Paradise. We rented a scooter and an ATV to get there. Got lost, but loved getting lost as we saw other great places. Just simply asked the locals where the beach was and they directed us there. Super Paradise was wonderful. The water was clear and the sand awesome. There were a smattering of topless and nude bathers and if that bothers you, then don't go there. If it doesn't then you will enjoy. We were only there from about 10:30 to 12:00 in the morning as our ship was only in for a short period of time. Wished we had another couple of hours to enjoy the beach and exploring the more on our bikes. The ATV was really very safe and the cars respected all of us. The scooter, if you have never ridden one, and I hadn't for about 30 years, was a lot of fun, but it did take a few minutes to get used to it. Just don't do anything stupid and you will be okay. I also understand the bus as well as boat buses from the dock in downtown will get you to the beaches as well.

We waited 90 minutes in line for a taxi to get there, which we shared with one couple. Cost was 7.50 euros per car. Not many taxis available with 2 ships in port.

On the way back we took the bus for only 1.40 euros pp. We were first in line, but when the bus pulled up, it was every man for himself. We were pushed around and our friends standing near us didn't even make it on the bus- had to wait 20-30 minutes for the next one.

It was not a pleasant experience and wasted a lot of time. The beach was pretty but the sand not as soft as what we see on the Caribbean beaches.

Unfortunately, there is no train system on Mykonos.

your options for transportation are 1) bus, 2) taxi, or 3) beg and plead for a local with a car to take you.

taxis are very very limited on the island.

i guess it all depends on the timing. when i was in Mykonos, I took the 9:30 bus out to Paradise beach. on the bus was my family of 3, and 2 other people.

i returned to Mykonos from Paradise beach on a bus around noon. there was probably about 15 people on the bus.

remember, the "bus" is actually a motorcoach that can probably seat about 40-50 passengers

Unfortunately, there is no train system on Mykonos.

your options for transportation are 1) bus, 2) taxi, or 3) beg and plead for a local with a car to take you.

taxis are very very limited on the island.

i guess it all depends on the timing. when i was in Mykonos, I took the 9:30 bus out to Paradise beach. on the bus was my family of 3, and 2 other people.

i returned to Mykonos from Paradise beach on a bus around noon. there was probably about 15 people on the bus.

remember, the "bus" is actually a motorcoach that can probably seat about 40-50 passengers

We are planning on renting a car there next month and see the whole island. We were there two years ago and loved the downtown area, windmills and we took the public ferry over to the island of Delos.

There is good reliable public bus transportation from Mykonos Town to Paradise Beach. You catch that bus at the bus station that is near the windmills (the far side of town from the cruise ship pier).

Hank

Archived