Solstice or Noordam So. Caribbean mid-Dec?

V and S

We are about to book a cruise for mid-December RT Florida (so we don't have to fly out to an island). We've narrowed it down to Celebrity Solstice 12/13 7 day FLL-San Juan-St. Kitts-St. Maarten-FLL, Aquaclass balcony or Holland Noordam 12/11 10 day FLL-Half Moon Cay-Tortola-Martinique-Barbados-St. Lucia-St. Maarten-FLL, balcony. We just cancelled a reservation on Seabourn because, even with the discounts, it was just a little too much of a stretch for us this year, but we hope to sail with them someday in the Med.

About us: we are 49 and 40, take ballroom dance classes, we both teach at universities, V loves (adores) high tea, S is a martial artist, V is a fine artist, neither of us are big drinkers/partiers. We've been on Princess, Disney, and RCCL and were very disappointed with the food, but loved kayaking in Cabo and relaxing at the beach on Castaway Cay, and we loved most port days, in general.

We'd so much appreciate the opinions of those who've sailed on either or both of these lines/ships! They both look lovely. (We are cross-posting here and on the HAL board.) Cruise Critic posters have been so helpful in the past. Thank you!! :)

Wish I could help you with the difference, but the 12/13 Solstice cruise is going to be our first on Celebrity. I haven't heard much about dancing on Celebrity, and it seems that for ballroom the best sounds like Cunard. Haven't been on HAL either but hope that some folks can give you some sage advice. But if you do choose Solstice, there is a good roll call going for that cruise and we already have a connections party planned <G>...

regards

Scott

I am not sure I can be helpful about comparisons because I have never sailed Holland. But I did sail on Solstice last dec. on your itinerary. First, Solstice is a beautiful ship with big "WOW" factor -- impressive without being over the top with skating rinks etc. (not that there's anything wrong withthat -- just not Celebrity) My overall impression is that it is a classy ship. Great service and good food. We really loved being on the ship. Public spaces were elegant and the ship feels spacious. We stayed in a Celebrity Suite and absolutely loved it. Felt pampered to death! The demographics skewed a bit older than what we had expected but we liked that. We are both in our 50's and worried we would be old fogies on the ship, but there were many couples the same age group as ours and older. And younger as well. Though the ship is not "party central" if you know what I mean, for people like us who don't party to the wee hours, we were quite happy. We are sailing again in Jan we liked it so much.

We thought the ports were just fine but not WOW ports. We actually liked San Juan more than we thought we would (very "old world feel" to Old San Juan), we had been to St.Maarten before so we just rented a taxi and rode around the island to see our old favorite spots. The port itself is tourist central. At this port, you have to work to find an excursion that will let you experience the natural beauty of the place. St Kitts -- we took a snorkling trip through the ship. I am a big snorkler and was umimpressed with the snorkling there. But it was nice being out on on the water.

In short, if the ship is the most important part of your cruise, then you cannot go wrong with Solstice. If the ports you visit are paramount then go with the itinerary that looks the most enticing.

Regardless, Happy sailing..

Archived