Kelley's Mountain Lookout

SF

If we are driving from Sydney, NS to Baddeck do we pass Kelley's Mountain Lookout and if so where exactly is it?

If you are travelling on the main highway to Baddeck (Highway 104) you will cross over Kellys Mountain about 45 minutes from Sydney. There are several lookout spots to stop and take in the scenery. I hope your not expecting the Rockies as the "mountain" is only about 900 feet high but it has great views.

Are there signs along the highway letting you know that you are coming up to a lookout area? Can you just pull off to the side of the road and take some pictures?

Can you suggest an itinerary for some places as a "must see"? We will be renting a car as we've been to Sydney before and have toured the sights in town. We also took a tour last time of the Graham Bell Museum near Baddeck so we are looking for new ideas. Any suggestions? We will be in port from 8am -5pm and I figure we'll have about 6 hours to tour around since I'd like to return the car by 3pm.

Thanks for your help on my other post also.....the one for Halifax:)

If you are coming before Oct. 15, then going to Louisbourg is a must.

Otherwise you would just have enough time to drive around the entire Cabot Trail. It is a famous drive for a reason.

A third option is the beautiful drive down the centre of Cape Breton, to Iona and the Highland village. We were there last October, the last day it was open (19th or so). It is in a picture perfect setting. From Iona you could cross to Grand Narrows and go towards Marion Bridge on the famous Myra River. These are all very scenic spots.

Problem is we won't be there until October 27th so a lot of places have closed by that date. We were going to tour Louisbourg but found out it wouldn't be open. Sounds like some of the places you mentioned won't be open either.

How long does it take to drive the Cabot Trail and where exactly does it take you?

Are we better off driving to Baddeck or to Cheticamp, Inverness? I know Baddeck is about 1 hour each way and to Cheticamp about 2 hours 15 mins. each way?

Is there anything to see in either town?

Check this out:

http://seniortravel.about.com/od/canadatravel/a/CabotTrailTips.htm

They say about five hours of driving not counting stops. I think that is a generous allowance. So it is doable for you. There will not be much traffic when you are coming. The scenic lookoffs are just widenings in the road with room to park. You can't miss them.

Check out http://novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Look on the left to find maps and travel quides.

Thanks for the websites. Interesting reading and lots of information. Glad to know if we are driving clockwise we won't be right by the side of the drops!

I don't think we'll want to take the five hour driving tour.... too long in the car. I would have liked to see the Highland Village but unfortunately it's not open when we arrive. One of the disappointing points of traveling so late in the season.

Wondering if it's worth driving the extra time to Cheticamp as it takes an extra hour vs. going to Baddeck? Overall, if we counted the time there and back and the hour or so to tour it would take us the full time of six hours but at least it wouldn't be a straight five or six hours in a car.

Are there signs along the highway letting you know that you are coming up to a lookout area? Can you just pull off to the side of the road and take some pictures?

Can you suggest an itinerary for some places as a "must see"? We will be renting a car as we've been to Sydney before and have toured the sights in town. We also took a tour last time of the Graham Bell Museum near Baddeck so we are looking for new ideas. Any suggestions? We will be in port from 8am -5pm and I figure we'll have about 6 hours to tour around since I'd like to return the car by 3pm.

Thanks for your help on my other post also.....the one for Halifax:)

There are places to pull over and part at the lookout area. I don't recall if there is a sign but I remember one one the way up and 2 on the way down.

Someone else made some good suggestions but if you are heading towards Baddeck I would suggest turning off near the bottom of Kelly's Mountain and head towards Englishtown and take the ferry and head to Ingonish. That way you can see part of the Cabot Trail.

Ok, here is what we have narrowed it down to. We need suggestions on which would be better.

Itinerary choice #1

Drive from Sydney to Englishtown and take ferry across. Then head towards River Bennett and just a little afterwards turn left onto Cabot Trail heading back towards South Haven. From there go spend some time and walk around Baddeck, have lunch and head back to Sydney. Overall, I figure this would take about five to five and a half hours.

Itinerary choice #2

Drive to Iona to see scenery even though the Highland Village will be closed. Head towards Little Narrows and take the Ferry across then turn towards Bras d'or Lakes Drive and continue to Baddeck. Walk around, have lunch and drive back to Sydney. This also I think should be no more than 5 and a half hours.

The question is which one is better!!!!

Also where do I get information in regards to the two different ferries (Englishtown, and Little Narrows)? How much does it cost to cross? What are the operating hours of the ferry? I would hate to drive there and then find out they weren't operating.

Do you think there would be a long line of cars waiting at the end of October to cross?

I've tried to find out information in regards to the ferry from Englishtown you mentioned but can't seem to pull anything up on the internet. Would you have a site for them?

I couldn't find anything either but have been acroos it many times. It is a very short ride taking about 5 minutes and it operates on a load and go. i.e. there is no schedule. If I recall it only costs around $1.50 each way.

As an alternative, you could pass the exit for the ferry and contine on for about 5 minutes and turn right at St. Ann's on Route 19. This route will take you around the bay that the ferry goes across but it takes 30-40 minutes. I see from your next post that you are considering heading back this way and so you seem to be familier with this route.

Ok, here is what we have narrowed it down to. We need suggestions on which would be better.

Itinerary choice #1

Drive from Sydney to Englishtown and take ferry across. Then head towards River Bennett and just a little afterwards turn left onto Cabot Trail heading back towards South Haven. From there go spend some time and walk around Baddeck, have lunch and head back to Sydney. Overall, I figure this would take about five to five and a half hours.

Itinerary choice #2

Drive to Iona to see scenery even though the Highland Village will be closed. Head towards Little Narrows and take the Ferry across then turn towards Bras d'or Lakes Drive and continue to Baddeck. Walk around, have lunch and drive back to Sydney. This also I think should be no more than 5 and a half hours.

The question is which one is better!!!!

Also where do I get information in regards to the two different ferries (Englishtown, and Little Narrows)? How much does it cost to cross? What are the operating hours of the ferry? I would hate to drive there and then find out they weren't operating.

Do you think there would be a long line of cars waiting at the end of October to cross?

Both would be a nice drive. The first one will give you a tease of the more rugged coast because if you keep driving past River Bennett for about 30 minutes you will reach the first mountain that is part of the Cabot Trail. It's a beautiful drive. The two itineraries you mention are closer to the interior of the island and contain more rolling hills around the Bras d'or Lakes. They are actually salt water "lakes" as the ocean flows through the middle of the island. I think you'll have plenty of time for eaither but that depends how often you stop. Which one is better? Hard to say as they are both nice areas.

As I mentioned in my other post I couldn't seem to find any official info for the ferries but I know they operate year round (other than scheduled shutdowns for maintence) and the cost is minimal at somewhere around $1-$3. There shouldn't be much of a line that time of year. Any cars in line should be able to get on the next load.

While looking for some the ferry info I came across some pictures that you may be interested in. The Englishtown Ferry:

http://marinas.com/view/ferry/210_Englishtown_Ferry_NS

This one is of the Little Narrows Ferry:

http://marinas.com/view/ferry/404_Little_Narrows_Ferry_NS

I hope this helps. :D

They are both beautiful drives as others have said. Do you want a tiny taste of rugged coastline, or the beautiful Bras D'or Lakes?

You choose. If it is bad weather some of the beauty of Bras D'or lakes will be gone so I would take the coast. However you will not be on the best parts of the Cabot Trail. You'll just have to come back!

The ferries are load and go and you never wait more than a few minutes.

Still throwing around which itinerary. Half the family says drive the coastline (first itinerary) and the other half says do the Bras d'or Lakes (2nd itinerary). Figures that would happen with four voting.:D

Guess at this point we'll just take both itinerary routes and decide that day based on weather and what time we actually get to leave the rental car place.

From what I've seen picture wise we can't go wrong with either.

Any other suggestions or ideas are still welcomed.

Archived