Royal Caribbean Takes Care of the Chair Hogs

MrPete

I have no desire to sit right by the pool, and I usually prefer the aft adult pool (or Serenity area) ...have not had problem

Same here... we do not try and sit near the pool. Too crowded, and too many waiters pestering you ever 10 minutes if you want a drink.

Chair hogs are not a problem anywhere else but the pool area, because there is so much deck space and chairs, that no one is inconvenienced by them.

Same subject, but at our local pool here at home. I absolutely HATE it when a group takes over a table with umbrella (about 5 seats) with all of their junk, and then, proceed to lay out on loungers. They are not using the table at all and then someone (like me) who desires shade is denied! Ohhhhh....it burns me up! Depending on my mood and if I feel like having to deal with nasty people, I might say something. But then once you do, no matter how it ends, there is tension to deal with and it ruins your whole stay.

Can't people be more considerate????? It would make the world a much happier place!!!!

Ok....I'm done....and I feel better :)

Ave

I don't consider myself a nasty person, or a pool monitor, but...if I find a chair is vacated and someone has purposely left their items behind to "reserve" the chair and they haven't returned for sometime (over 20 minutes), I will indeed remove said items, place them under the chair and sit to enjoy my vacation. If you don't intend to use the seat for 30 minutes, please be kind to remove said items and allow the chair to be used by someone else.

I remember someone posted here about a woman that had signs made with the words: Reserved for the XXXXX Family. The woman had made several signs and put them all in chairs. They were even laminated. Someone came upon them and put the signs all in the trash :D. The woman was furious.

If the staff will not take care of "them", then someone needs to step up.

ROFLMBOOO!!! - This has me cracking up.

We were on the Caribbean Princess on the aft of the ship lounging on the upper deck around the pool. This man, his wife and daughter had loungers in front of us facing the ocean.

The man every half an hour or so would leave and come back, leave and come back. I said to my husband "wonder what's going on with him" because he had to pass us every time.

My husband said "Look, he has 3 loungers up here on this deck and 3 loungers around the edge of the pool. So he keeps going back and forth so no one will take the loungers at the pool. LOL

SMH

In the pool is occupying the chair, leaving the pool area is abandoning the chair. quote]

BINGO!!!! Leaving for 45 min to eat is LEAVING - your chair is no longer your chair. Going into the pool is participating in the local activity for which the chair exists...you sit, you read, you enjoy the pool..all the basic activity for which the pool and said chair are inteneded. Run off to the rest room..that is a 10 min break or less and no big deal...heading down to lunch is not.

Grab a chair for 'family' at 7 am and they don't show up until 11am..sorry, they lose upon my arrival.

I personally love chair hogs or reservers as they wish to be known..it insures I get a pool chair. I wait, I watch..no wetness, no sign of use after 15 min, I'll go over to the chair and shout out--"anyone using this chair"..folks will look around and snicker and if no owner appears out of the pool I claim it...thank you chair hog!

Helpful hint-- bring a small supply of plastic grocery bags with you on the cruise. Take one up to the pool. When claiming a 'hog' chair I pack the stuff up neatly into the bag and tie the top...if the hog shows I point to the bag...no muss, no fuss.

Is this something new at RCCL? I can tell you it was not their practice on my last two RCCL Cruises 10 months ago. We had a ton of chair hogs staking out their claim in the early morning on Monarch and Sovereign with no yellow-jacketed staffers anywhere to be found.

I hope its a new policy. It would be a welcome change.

On our cruise in Feb. there was a Carnival staffer walking around moving belongings that we just left to save chairs. She came up to me and asked if I had seen anyone using the chair in the last 30 mins and I said no. She removed their stuff and a couple of mins later people sat down. About 30 mins later the people returned and started to freak out on the people sitting in "their chairs", I looked at them and said that a Carnival staff member came by and removed their stuff and took it to the towel rental hut and that the people who were in the chairs now had nothing to do with it. They stormed off and the people who were sitting in the chairs were just shocked at what happened because they had no idea that anyone had their belongings on the chairs. I was very impressed on that cruise because I actually saw them out removing belongings a lot on that cruise.

That sounds as if it would be pretty entertaining just to sit around and watch. It would be nice if Carnival would start doing something like this.

I agree. I'd pay a decent price to watch it as an on board excursion. :D

• 1 year later...

Just back from the Inspiration and chair hogging/reserving was a HUGE problem. I complained to pool staff but they didn't do anything about it. At 9:30 on a sea day I would say about 90% of the chairs on the ship were taken. 30% of these were actually occupied with bodies. I didn't have it in me to move peoples belongings myself. Felt this was a Carnival employee's job...but they obviously didn't think so. Was disappointed. Have never seen it that bad on our RC cruises.

I agree. I'd pay a decent price to watch it as an on board excursion. :D

:D Love it. As the author of the Meet the Allure Chair hogs thread in the Allure section of the RCI forum, its is how I chose to entertain myself while my wife sunbathed near the pool. I'm just starting to read this thead, which was started way before my recent cruise, which was the first one on RC that I saw active work by the deck patrol to combat chair hogs.

Is this something new at RCCL? I can tell you it was not their practice on my last two RCCL Cruises 10 months ago. We had a ton of chair hogs staking out their claim in the early morning on Monarch and Sovereign with no yellow-jacketed staffers anywhere to be found.

We were on the Freedom of the Seas about 2 years ago. They had the deck patrol in full force. It was wonderful. They gave everyone 30 minutes. If you didn't return to your chair, the deck patrol neatly put your belongings into a plastic bag and put it behind their counter. It worked great!

It was not a problem to go to the pool, the deck patrol watched. It was very nice to be able to get a chair when you needed one!

I've been really lucky. I've seen them on every RCI cruise. If they are not actively clearing chairs, all you have to do is ask them. They'll do it.

Archived