For those of you who have read Cruise Confidential

Jeafl

Will you think twice before asking for anything "special" or out of the ordinary from the crew members? I guess most of us never gave much thought to how much extra work we could be unknowingly causing the crew members. I always knew they put in long hours, but the fact that most of them work up to 15 hours a day is just crazy! I think most people think that being 15-30 minutes late for dinner is not a big deal, but if they knew what a hassle it is for the servers, maybe they might make a more concerted effort to be there on time. I personally will think twice before I ask for anything out of the ordinary again.

I thought it was a fascinating book, and I believe it gave a fair and balanced view of life on a cruise ship. I had half-expected it to be one long bash of Carnival, but I think the author did a great job of presenting things from both sides. I also found the view of Americans and their behavior from the workers' perspectives to be quite interesting, and dead on in a lot of cases!

All in all, I really enjoyed the book. :)

I enjoyed the book also. It made me really evaluate how I tip also. I always prepay my tips, and after reading the book I will now make sure to take some extra to really tip for good service. I have never been late for dinner, and after reading this book, will make SURE I'm never later for dinner. I have cruised on the Legend and its amazing all the things that go on behind the scenes.

I have travelled all over the world, and while I wasn't surprised by the worker's view of Americans I still find it embarassing. I know that most Americans don't treat cruise line employees like that - the ones that do make for a better story, but still its embarrassing that anyone would at all.

It would be interesting to read a second book from the author about his life on a cruise ship as an art dealer.

Read the book and it definitely gives you new perspective on things. We're not typically high maintenance and ask for special things, but I do know we've been guilty of taking our wine glasses to go after dinner. After reading how much they go through to keep their stations fully stocked, I feel like I've been causing trouble after all. :( Need to think about how to not inconvenience them when we haven't finished our drinks yet but it's time to go.

As for showing up late, we very rarely have done that, but when we're in Cozumel we've got a 2 hour tour booked at 6:30 p.m. We have late seating and were thinking of coming late (but of course telling our servers in advance that we'd be doing that), but instead we've decided to switch to Your Time dining on that trip. That way we won't be "late" since Your Time goes until 9:30. Although we will really miss having the same servers each night.

I haven't read it nor have I read "Hotel Confidential" or "Airline Confidential" or "Hospital Confidential" or "Daycare Confidential". I can only think of two kinds of requests - reasonable and unreasonable. I will continue to make reasonable ones.

It did make me feel bad for our waiters after one of our tablemates ordered multiples of everything each night. His record was 5 appetizers, 3 entrees and 4 desserts. Just coming for him took the time it would have to serve an entire table of 4.

It did make me feel bad for our waiters after one of our tablemates ordered multiples of everything each night. His record was 5 appetizers, 3 entrees and 4 desserts. Just coming for him took the time it would have to serve an entire table of 4.

So sorry for your servers! I put that in the unreasonable catagory!

I agree it was unreasonable. It was embarrassing.

I was glad my husband wouldn't have tried anything like that, even he thought it was embarrassing.

Now there was one time I didn't want any entrees, so I ordered two appetizers. The server tried to convince me to get an entree, and I said no thanks, I was fine! But he showed up with my appetizers, and a polenta, because he thought I should eat more! And when we travelled with my dad, the server brought him a main course of pasta every night, no matter what he ordered as an entree... but he never actually ordered the pasta. (he was happy to get it though!)

I felt bad for our waiters when the people at the tables on either side of us kept showing up 20-40 minutes late for each meal and we were at the early seating. It made me think of that book and what the waiters would have to go through to get everything ready for the next seating.

I read the book, but it didn't change my opinion of what to request and what not to since we've never requested anything extreme or out of the ordinary. If you treat the crew with respect and a friendly smile, they will go out of their way for you anyway.

When I ask for anything out of the ordinary, which is very rare, I tip them extra up front. I know what it's like to miss your lunch or not get a break because so and so's family needs iced tea all around, or dad wants you to take his bp since your in the room and the bp machine is right here.

Servicing family members in the hospital is now sort of the norm in our days of "give the best customer service you can"

So I totally appreciate our cabin steward keeping my cooler iced, so I can enjoy my icy cold beverages. I let him know by tipping him extra ahead of time, I do not take away from his original tip. He is a professional and I expect to pay him for services rendered and anything over and above.

I think that 90% of the people on a cruise do think of the staff and do not make outragous requests. Those that do obviously have issues and will do these things anywhere. Needing the extra attention to stroke an obviously broken ego. JMO

Carole

I think that 90% of the people on a cruise do think of the staff and do not make outragous requests. Those that do obviously have issues and will do these things anywhere. Needing the extra attention to stroke an obviously broken ego. JMO

Carole

I completely agree with this.

But on the flip side on one of our cruises I asked our head waiter how big the lobster tail was? He replied it's kind of small you should order two. He didn't mind the extra work to make sure my meal was great, he got a big extra tip at the end of the cruise! :D

But on the flip side on one of our cruises I asked our head waiter how big the lobster tail was? He replied it's kind of small you should order two. He didn't mind the extra work to make sure my meal was great, he got a big extra tip at the end of the cruise! :D

I'm pretty sure that this instance is not a problem at all for the waiter. From what the book said, it is the people who order 5 or 6 entrees at once who make it more difficult because they are only allowed to carry so many entrees at a time. Multiple trips back and forth to the kitchen throws off the timing of the waiter and also the other tables full of people waiting for their meals.

Will you think twice before asking for anything "special" or out of the ordinary from the crew members? I guess most of us never gave much thought to how much extra work we could be unknowingly causing the crew members. I always knew they put in long hours, but the fact that most of them work up to 15 hours a day is just crazy! I think most people think that being 15-30 minutes late for dinner is not a big deal, but if they knew what a hassle it is for the servers, maybe they might make a more concerted effort to be there on time. I personally will think twice before I ask for anything out of the ordinary again.

I thought it was a fascinating book, and I believe it gave a fair and balanced view of life on a cruise ship. I had half-expected it to be one long bash of Carnival, but I think the author did a great job of presenting things from both sides. I also found the view of Americans and their behavior from the workers' perspectives to be quite interesting, and dead on in a lot of cases!

All in all, I really enjoyed the book. :)

I also thought it was an interesting book, but I'm not sure I could say it was fair or balanced. You would have to be in a servers shoes to say that.

I would love to see the same type of book written by a cabin steward. Maybe someone from NCL since they have an all American staff, in Hawaii.

I bought the book last week and read it in two days. Very difficult to put down, as this will be our first cruise.

As part-time missionaries to the third world, we're pretty accustomed to the "having not" (food, electricity, clean water, etc.), so we're definitely not the high-maintenance variety on any trip. However, knowing how certain things run was good info to have, and I'll keep some of the things mentioned in the back of my head while cruising. Such as not arriving late or not ordering an appetizer during dinner.

Of course, as cruise newbies, it won't change the way we cruise, since we have nothing to compare it to........lol.

I also thought it was an interesting book, but I'm not sure I could say it was fair or balanced. You would have to be in a servers shoes to say that.

I would love to see the same type of book written by a cabin steward. Maybe someone from NCL since they have an all American staff, in Hawaii.

I work as a server in a somewhat prominent restaurant in Florida, and I can say that I do not mind "needy" guests, but fulfilling their requests sometimes does leave me with less time to attend my other tables. Many times it does not "occur" to these "needy" guests to tip extra when they are receiving extra service. I believe that they are truly ignorant of the fact that their extra or special or excessive needs are taking me away from my other tables. Yet, conversely, they would be the first customers to complain if it seemed to them that I was "ignoring" them while I was giving another "needy" guest extra or special service. People just aren't aware of the logistics of serving. They think that 'they' are your only customer. In reality, when I am serving them, I, temporarily, am turning my attention away from someone else; but when I am serving someone else, I must, by the very nature that I am one person, turn my attention away from them......temporarily. Wish people would understand that.

Back in the good old days, they used to shut the dining room doors 15 minutes after the assigned time began. I sure wish they would do it again. I will never understand why people feel they are so special that they can show up 30 minutes or more late.

I enjoyed the book and I have enjoyed discussing the things I know with my dining room staff. They seem appreciative of my understanding of what they go through.

What is the name of the author of that book?

The author is Brian David Bruns. I thought it was a good read and made me wonder how the staff can function after working 15 hours a day and doing all the drinking described in the book.

I bought the book last week and read it in two days. Very difficult to put down, as this will be our first cruise.

As part-time missionaries to the third world, we're pretty accustomed to the "having not" (food, electricity, clean water, etc.), so we're definitely not the high-maintenance variety on any trip. However, knowing how certain things run was good info to have, and I'll keep some of the things mentioned in the back of my head while cruising. Such as not arriving late or not ordering an appetizer during dinner.

Of course, as cruise newbies, it won't change the way we cruise, since we have nothing to compare it to........lol.

Likewise!!! I bought the book last week and finished it within days.

Excellent read. I did expect a bit more on the interaction with the cruising customers and less of the hanky-panky. But a great read nevertheless.

As we are going on our first cruise (granted from Australia not from an American port) it will be interesting to see how the dinner arrangements go. Would recommend this book to anyone who cruises...

Archived