What to expect at border with Quick SHuttle

Hi one and all. I have this question that has popped up. Does anyone know what the rules are about taking some small amount of alcohol over the border when traveling northbound on the quick shuttle? DH and I will have a very long first-day travel, and then the long Quick S j ourney.

I was thinking of either buying some spirits/adult liquor at SEA-TAC (is that possible?) or putting some spirits in those 3 ounce bottles instead of shampoo/conditioner/etc. Since neither of us would be driving, and just sitting there, we'd like to have Happy Hour on the shuttle, discretely, of course. We both have aches and pains/arthritis, and after that long day of travel, sheeze, it would be nice to chill and relax.

So, what actually happens to passengers on QS at the border. Like would we have to take out our luggage, en masse as a bus, and go thru Customs or what. Being the spirits would not be in a sealed bottle, would we have to "declare" it... I ask this question because I have seen another post where someone was asking about bring a carton of cigerettes with them to avoid the high cost of cigs in Canada. We don't smoke. That is not an issue.

I just want to know what to expect at the border if this plan of mine... Not trying to cause controversy. Just thought someone might know of some friends that have done this. If this is a bad idea, I'll just take some extra Strength Tylenol and wing it. LOL. It would be more fun, though, with a quiet Happy Hour on the Shuttle... Any thoughts?? suggestions? Thanks my cruise critic buddies. Only 16 days to go before sailing.

Hi - I also answered you on the RCI board as I saw that one posted before this one. I will repeat what I said there.

I have no direct experience with Quick Shuttle, but DD has crossed the border on a Greyhound bus before, and they made everyone get off the bus with their bags and go inside the building for clearance. The border officials questioned everyone on the bus. They didn't wave everyone through because it was a bus and they're on a tight schedule; every passenger is subject to the same inspection.

My main concern, though, is your consumption of alcohol on the bus. In British Columbia, it is illegal to transport open liquor in a motor vehicle. You'll be riding in a chartered bus where you are in view of families, children, and others who may not want to see you drinking alcohol on the bus. I'm not judging, just suggesting that you may want to re-think this. I also suggest you e-mail Quick Shuttle directly and ask if they would allow you to consume alcohol onboard. If not, and you do drink your booze, it's probably reason enough for expulsion.

DH and I will have a long travel day and by the time we are sitting on the QS' date=' at the end of our jouney, we'd like to sip a bit and have Happy Hour on the bus.[/quote']

I was thinking of either buying some spirits/adult liquor at SEA-TAC (is that possible?) or putting some spirits in those 3 ounce bottles instead of shampoo/conditioner/etc.

Do not try to sneak alcohol into Canada via those bottles. You already are allowed to legally bring in certain amounts duty free.

i.e. You are allowed to import
one
of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:

* 1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;

* 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor;

* a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of wine and liquor; or

* 24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounces) cans or bottles (maximum of 8.5 litres) of beer or ale.

If you're caught trying to sneak alcohol into the country without declaring at the border, you will be fined, the liquor dumped and your passport flagged. Not worth it. Just bring in the allowed amount and declare upon arrival.

So glad I asked. Thanks to those who replied. This is why I asked because I don't know being this will be my first Canadian crossing. I tried research on google on this subject but was unable to find the answer. I do appreciate knowing what others know... We are sooo psyched about this Alaskan via YVR trip. It will be a trial getting there being that we occupy these old bones of bodies... Thanks again. Love cruise critics...

I have ridden Quick Shuttle many times and sometines at the Canadian border we have been waved thru wihtout having to take out luggage off the bus or having to go inside and at other times we have all had to disembark the bus and go inside habing all our bags scanned. Totally at the choice of the customs officer...

However southbound at the US customs we always have to get off the bus go inside and have all our luggage scanned passports inspected etc.

Enjoy your cruise and time in Vancouver

Archived