Reversing Falls- worth the trip?

judeg

Will be in St.John in early September and whilst I have the reversing falls down as a 'must see', my better half (?!) wants to know what all the fuss is about?! Is there something to see at all times of the day or is it just when the tides are right? And if I persuade him to walk there is it scenic along the way?

Would appreciate any help in convincing a cynic!!!!:rolleyes:

Will be in St.John in early September and whilst I have the reversing falls down as a 'must see', my better half (?!) wants to know what all the fuss is about?! Is there something to see at all times of the day or is it just when the tides are right? And if I persuade him to walk there is it scenic along the way?

If it's part of your tour it's a nice stop. If not on a tour I don't think it's a must see and would not recommend going out of your way for it. It's more rapids than falls.

We were just there last week and did the Reversing Falls Thrilling Jetboat ride. I don't know if I would have gone there otherwise. It really is just rapids and whirlpools. I believe you do have to time your visit with the tide coming in or going out. Our taxi driver said it was better with a high tide. Not sure how much walking you want to do, but it's a long walk from the ship. The walk would be just along city streets.

If it's part of your tour it's a nice stop. If not on a tour I don't think it's a must see and would not recommend going out of your way for it. It's more rapids than falls.

We saw it as part of a tour and we were there at the right time (to see the reversing tides).

It is one of those things I can check off of my list of seeing but it definitely is not a must see. I personally would not go out of my way to see it.

I could be wrong here but I think they they know the approx times in which the tides will be reversed based on the day.

Thank you all for your thoughts and info- think we'll go if the tides are right at the time, but not worry if we don't get there! My 'better half' might wish he'd just agreed to go once I've hit the shops instead!!;)

Unless you are there during high tide and low tide, you wouldn't know the difference. We were on the tour to Bay of Fundy. We got to reversing fall around 10 am in the beginning of the tour and then aroung 2 pm at the end of the tour.

I walked to Reversing Falls. Most of the trip was along the harbor, but a little bit was on busy streets. There is a sidewalk for most of the way. My friend and I enjoyed the walk, but mainly because there was little else to do in the town. The falls were fine, but nothing exciting. You can't actually see a waterfall, just rapids. We were not there at the magic time; I'm sure it is much more interesting if you are there then.

To appreciate the full force of the falls, you should view them both at high tide and then again at low tide---or vice versa. If you have seen them at one of the high or low tides, it is interesting to visit at slack tide, which is mid cycle, when the harbour and the river are at the same level. At that time, for a fifteen to twenty minute period, four times a day, it is possible for a sailboat under motor power to go through the falls safely. I have done so myself and it is fun.

I prefer to visit the falls from the park off Douglas Avenue where the jetboat rides depart. It is fun to watch the riders get soaked.

I also like to have dinner or lunch at the Falls Restaurant just at the end of the bridge. If you ask for a window seat in the back room you can see the changes in the river/harbour as you eat. You can often see seals feeding just under the bridge.

A new lookout has just opened right at the end of the bridge across from the restaurant.

The walk to the falls is scenic for the part that takes you along the Harbour Passage. There will be volunteers greeting your ship who will answer your questions and give you directions. This group has been meeting all the ships for many years and they are a very dedicated bunch. They give a rose to each lady and a pin to each gentlemen.

As for the pulp mill that is located at the falls----it was built back in the days when there used to be a log drive each year and the logs were floated down the river to the mill. That was long before the falls became the tourist attraction they seem to be now. There has been some talk locally about renaming the falls, as, since they have become such an attraction, people are disappointed to find out that they are rapids, not falls. I don't think there is much local support for such a move.

Archived