Old San Juan Restaurant

jo1168

My husband and I will be in San Juan from 2pm until 7pm. We are looking for a restaurant that will be open at that time that serves Puerto Rican food. We want to eat at a place that locals would eat. We need to be able to walk from the pier. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You didn't say which pier you were going to be at. If it is Pan American, you will need a short cab ride to OSJ. If you are on the Destiny, the pier is right across the street from the Wyndham (oops Sheraton). There is a little plaza next door that has shops and a restaurant called Mofongo(I think). It (Mofongo) is a traditional Puerto Rican dish and was recommended to us by the valets at the hotel. It was different and very tasty.

ENjoy your cruise and time in OSJ.

Judy

Hmmm...I'm not sure. I've always only docked at the pier that is right by the Sheraton. I am sailing on the Explorer of the Sea. I sure hope I dock in the same place. It's what I'm familiar with. Regardless, thanks for the suggestions. We'll take a taxi if necessary.

We like RESTAURANT BARRACHIN in Old SJ. It is about as authentic as you can get -- plus we'd been in Majorca earlier in this restaurant was originally founded by folks from Majorca.

An updated version of PR food is at Amadeus, also in Old SJ --- won't go wrong there either.

What a great article. I have a questions for anyone though- does anyone know a great breakfast restaurant in the Condado area? We are staying overnight at the Wyndham but certainly don't want to eat there- we want to get out and enjoy local food for breakfast. We will probably eat breakfast, walk around, get on the ship and eat lunch on the ship and get off and perhaps have an afternoon snack somewhere to get another taste of the food!

Julie

Our favorite is the El Jabarito at Calle Sol 280. It was recommended to us some years ago by a waiter at the El Convento when we inquired about a good, moderate priced place in Old Town where the locals go. We go there every time we're in San Juan. The whole fried red snapper mentioned in the MSN article posted below is wonderful! It's an informal cafe like athmosphere.

Guest KateKathy

We loved the Parrot Club in OSJ. Great food and mojitos and we ate outside.

Just keep asking for directions. It is an easy walk.

Archived