Southern Caribbean and Snakes!!

bozza

Does anyone know of any islands in the southern Caribbean where men offer them to you to have your photo taken with snakes?

I have a real phobia of these and would die if approached, so if I know before hand I can avoid them.

Any help much appreciated.

Does anyone know of any islands in the southern Caribbean where men offer them to you to have your photo taken with snakes?

I have a real phobia of these and would die if approached, so if I know before hand I can avoid them.

Any help much appreciated.

I can honestly say that as many times as I have cruised the Caribbean, Eastern, Western, Southern and all Islands in between, I have never had anyone ask me to take a picture with a snake.

Monkeys, yes. Iguanas, yes. Donkeys/Burros, yes. Birds, yes.

A dog, with a cat sitting on it's back, with a mouse sitting on the cat's back, in Key West, yes. :D

Snakes, never. I also dislike them a lot. :eek:

If they are there, I have never seen them?

Thanks Alexis, the island I have heard most about this happening is St.Lucia, so maybe that will be a taxi straight to a beach or on board day!!!!

I have also been to St. Lucia many times and again, I have never seen that? But I will be sure to look again on Dec 9 of this year.. That is my next cruise there on the Adventure. I can usually spot one of them a mile away.

They are a step down from a tarantula to me. I won't even go in a pet store if they have a tarantula there. I have to leave. :eek:

Was in St Lucia this past June and on tour with Spencer, and there was a guy with a snake on one of the stops. Spencer drove past but asked if we wanted to go back and get a picture, we said keep driving.:)

On Cosol's tour you drive by a man on the side of the road with a snake. You have the option of getting off to have your pic taken if you want - nobody in our van did but the van did stop so people could get pictures. Our driver gave us fair warning that it was coming up so those who were scared of snakes (like myself) could just look the other direction or close their eyes.

I have also been to St. Lucia many times and again, I have never seen that? But I will be sure to look again on Dec 9 of this year.. That is my next cruise there on the Adventure. I can usually spot one of them a mile away.

They are a step down from a tarantula to me. I won't even go in a pet store if they have a tarantula there. I have to leave. :eek:

Omg this is so me, I make my hubby go in the store and let me know if there are any tarantulas in it or I wont go in.

We did the Cosol tour in St. Lucia and there was a guy on the side of the road with a huge snake and we stopped and several people got out and had their picture taken with it. I was glad I was in the bus.

I know, ewwww! But we took the Cosol Tour and I had the opportunity to have a picture taken with the snake around my neck! I don't like the critters when they are on the ground, but I know how to handle them. It was a great moment! My in-laws couldn't believe I did it. Neither can I, in retrospect!!

Well I can't even say the word,,,I call them MOE,,,,,long story but everyone who knows me, knows what I am talking about.

When we were in Key West this year walking around, there was a man who a huge Boa or Python. He had it laying across a bunch of news stands. I saw it first walking down the street and immediatley grabbed my DH's arm to drag him across the other side of the street as I was not walking past this thing. Well looking on the opposite side of the street now, I see this man just notice the "thing" and just about jump out of his skin,,,he was in the middle of the road real quick. I had to laugh but new exactly how he felt.

I can honestly say that as many times as I have cruised the Caribbean, Eastern, Western, Southern and all Islands in between, I have never had anyone ask me to take a picture with a snake.

Monkeys, yes. Iguanas, yes. Donkeys/Burros, yes. Birds, yes.

A dog, with a cat sitting on it's back, with a mouse sitting on the cat's back, in Key West, yes. :D

Snakes, never. I also dislike them a lot. :eek:

If they are there, I have never seen them?

There's a fellow in Santa Barbara who has this unlikely trio, also, except it's a white rat....maybe he vacations in Key West?;):D

Have never seen any sea snakes in the Caribbean area, but there are land snakes on several islands. When we were in Dominica, our guide said there were boa constrictors in the Rain Forest.

On our February 2009 cruise on NoS we stopped in Ocho Rois, Jamaica and there was a guy with a snake around his neck. He offered to place the boa constrictor round a tourist's neck for a photo op. I did it after plucking up some courage. I have the photo to prove it but I don't want to freak posters out by attaching it to this reply!

A few years back, there was a post on CC from a lady that had an unfortunate encounter with a pier side snake vendor. She had just left the ship, when a man came up and patted her on the shoulder. When she turned around, she was face to face with a snake. Of course she jumped back, but in doing so, she tripped over herself and fell.:eek: I cannot remember her exact injuries, but they were pretty extensive. I believe she broke some bones and maybe had some facial damages (not from the snake, but from the fall). :(

When we were in Dominica, our guide said there were boa constrictors in the Rain Forest.

I just booked a tour to walk through a rain forrest area to the falls. :eek:

Archived