Southern Caribbean and Snakes!!

bozza

Swam with several off Barbados years ago, totally unaware that they were poisonous. Found out after the fact....Next time, we will not chase them!!!!

Just for information:

Facts are that poisonous sea snakes are not found in the caribbean. They are exclusive to the Barrier Reef locations of Australia. No need to worry about snakes in the Caribbean waters even though I do not like any snake.

There are MANY posionous snakes in Costa Rica! I don't know that any fall from trees but when we were hiking through the jungle on a tour we came across a small bright yellow one lying on a big leaf. It was maybe two feet long. Our guide told us the brighter the color the more dangerous. I let the others take pictures while I got outta there. Our guide also told us as we drove by the hospital that most injuries in the area were related to snake bites. It is a beautiful place and I would go again but be alert. Don't miss ziplining there for fear of snakes.

Wonder about the sea krait aquatic snakes- there is a debate about whether they have been seen in the Caribbean (or whether people have seen snake eels????) Hopefully they are only in the Pacific- but as with so many species, they could have been imported. Ick.

• 1 month later...

Archived