Calling all PAST norwegian Majesty Guests!! Looking for info.......

Matt&Delta

Hi all!! Just returned a little over a week ago from our second cruise on the Carnival Triumph. Would just likje to say we had a fab time. Everyone was wonderful no complaints ship wise, however DH did get sick, very sick for two days and ended up in infirmary getting shots..they were pretty sure it was due to smoke salmon also not sea sickness!!! Just to keep in mind...lol

Now we are planning our first trip on Norwegian Cruise Lines. Planning to sail in February on the Majesty from Charleston. Anyone who has taken this trip and can begin giving us ideas on what to expect with Norwegian, we would appreciate your advice!!! Everything from cabins to food and ports of call. Thanks in advance for your info!!

:D :confused: :cool: :)

Hi - we were on the cruise that left on the 11th. Greg from Charlotte has three posts on this site - a very thorough review. I see you're from S.C. so I'm imagining that you'll be driving down: the directions when you get near the port are very clear as is getting on board - they'll direct you at every step of the way from the time you que up at the gates until you're on board.

As I said, Greg gave a very thorough report but, in a nutshell, I think everyone agrees the food varies from good to above average, most people seem to find the service very attentive, the ship clean, the entertainment entertaining (we don't gamble and I don't care for musicals so we didn't do this first hand but everyone I overheard seemed very pleased with both as did the people who went ashore)

From our perspective, it was a pleasant, relaxing seven days - some inclimate weather but nothing disruptive - we found the room to be far beyond what we had been led to expect and were very, very pleased with both the room and and view from the room was one of the best arranged I've ever seen - even in a hotel. Our only problem (which we easily overcame) was that there was nothing served for tea in the afternoon but we fixed this by ordering a pot of tea from room service and then sort of scavanging the buffets upstairs for coldcuts, bread and cheese and small deserts which we took back to the room and it served very, very well (there is a telephone # for the steward and they clear this away within minutes of calling)

The only thing I read on Greg's posts that did not correspond with our experience was disembarking: he seemed to have had to haul his luggage to the car - if you speak to one of the hostesses who are at the entrance to the luggage hall, they will secure a porter for you to get the luggage to the van that will transport you to the garage/warehouse, then there will be other porters posted about who will locate the car and take the luggage forward. Even though I am not sure the porters are directly connected with the shipping company, they were just as courteous as the people on board the ship and our porter offered to bring the car around for us but we declined as it seemed silly - a short walk from where the van deposited us.

The only people who seem to have had bad experiences were those who apparently had unrealistic expectations - those who read as though they are happy by nature seemed to have had pleasant trips. I hope you have a very pleasant trip.

I've done the Trui and NCL Sea which is similar to Majesty. I'd say your biggest shock will be the size of the ship. You can pick up the Majesty and put it inside the Trui. and still party around it. It's that much difference.

With Carnival you have that "Hot,hot,hot" funship thing going on with lots of activities for the younger beer drinking crowd with kids. NCL is more laid back conservative type of cruise generally with less kids. Activities are good just not the same. More bingo if you know what I mean. The food I would think is better but then Carnival has gotten much better in recent years so they might be on equal terms in regards to quality and varitity. A lot of what one thinks about a cruise and a cruise ship has as much to do with who you are.

If you are that half is always half empty type personallity you will find fault in both lines. If you have the opposite you will feel NCL does as good as Carnvial and possibly better in certain areas. You won't go away hungry or lack of things to do. We like the big ships but give me a small ship I can drive to in a few hours any day of the week!

The only people who seem to have had bad experiences were those who apparently had unrealistic expectations - those who read as though they are happy by nature seemed to have had pleasant trips. I hope you have a very pleasant trip.

This is the kind of comment that is totally unnecessary in my opinion and treats people who have had real problems on this ship as if they had imagined them.

I consider myself "happy by nature" and I don't think it was "unrealistic" to expect to have an air conditioned room for seven days, not four. I don't think it was "unrealistic" to expect to have a functioning toilet and shower and running water 24 hours a day. I don't think it was "unrealistic" to have a clean room without food wrappers and some women's underwear under my bed. These problems were very real and were experienced by many on our cruise and SEVERAL CRUISES PREVIOUS TO OURS. I'm not even going to get into the stench of smoke throughout the ship. There are several threads on this board about this.

I do not dispute your assessment of the ship during the week you were on it one bit. That was your experience. However, you have no right to make judgments about any other sailing or dismiss others' experiences as somehow being imaginary.

Hi F5,

I was also on the Triumph as well as the Majesty, and the size difference is shocking.

The Majesty was my first cruise aboard a smaller ship, but I loved it.. The Majesty exudes a charming homey atmosphere, far lost on the mega-liners.

This might not be the ship for you if you are looking for rock-climbing walls, basketball, and golf, but there is a small gym, spa, hot tub, as well as two pools.

The food aboard the Majesty is above average. The buffet is adequate. The crew is friendly, attentive, and very helpful.

I will sail the Majesty again in a heartbeat.

Dear bpear: I am sorry you had a bad cruise, I truely am. But I don't plan on going on another cruise and I will probably be visiting these boards less and less so I am going to tell you the truth: you haven't mentioned a thing that I haven't had happen in my own homes over the years: there have been air-conditioning problems, plumbing problems, bad maids (and smokey guests) and you know what? You deal with it because life is largely a punchbowl of messes and pleasures and on any one of those days something equally interesting was going on simultaneously. The weekend the airconditioning went out it was over 95 degrees outside and I had six houseguests for the weekend. We went and bought cases of cokes in the bottles and filled a washtub with ice and chilled them down and sat on the terrace and held the bottles on our necks and commented that you couldn't really enjoy a coca-cola unless you knew how truely hot it was. The time the plumbing went out and crashed the plaster in the dining room, I had eight people coming for dinner including a history professor who had just published a book and a magazine was coming to shoot pictures - the table had been laid and it was a scramble to get flowers back in and tables set up elsewhere but in the end it was funny and the photographer had us sit in the damaged dining room among the mess for the picture (a copy of which I have framed and hanging in the pantry) I've had a dog walk into the front room and crap in the floor in the middle of a wedding, I've had a guest come, catch the flu and stay in bed for three days while we played hospital but this really is just the way life is. Now, regarding the ship: I would have much preferred not be jarred out of bed at 11:00 at night by the Calypso band directly above my head as I enjoy my sleep and I don't care for that type of music anyway but the view was absolutely charming, the service was as good as I am used to; and I would have liked for Le Bistro to have changed the menu everyday but I wasn't poisoned; and I would have rather the dance music had been the Palast Orchester but the music on the radio in the room was very pleasant so, again, I insist that at fifty years old, things are largely what people make of them in practically every circumstance. Furthermore, I think it is highly unrealistic to expect to be able to control things when one ventures out in public when it is not possible to fully control them in ones own domains. Best regards, TR

Dear bpear: I am sorry you had a bad cruise, I truely am. TR

I didn't say we had a bad cruise, TR. I said we had major problems we should not have had. These were ongoing problems for a period of weeks if not months. In over 20 cruises on NCL and other lines the only other problem was the Norway breaking down in St Thomas many years ago and like everything else we took it in stride. We had the best time we could under the circumstances on the Majesty. We just don't feel the ship was up to par and NCL certainly was aware of this.

I would not even have brought this stuff up again had you omitted the last paragraph of your post yesterday at 9:18 PM. My best to you and I mean it. May the New Year be good to you!

Happy New Year to you too. By the by: I had friends in for lunch (today is my birthday) and mentioned this board to them by way of conversation at lunch and two points arose: One, everyone may not be content with the slapdash establishments we run as homes (she commented on this as my pitiful, new maid poured the soup all over the dining table) and many people may actually strive for perfection, achieve well-run homes and be very uncomfortable when they are out and about and rightfully so as they actually do have higher standards. I had never considered this and you may well have such an establishment. If you do, God bless you: I've never been able to pull it off. Two: the general concensus at lunch was that airconditioning, plumbing and dog doo all pale by comparison to the time we had a house full of company, a thunderstorm arose and lightening struck the well, and there was no water with which to flush the toilets. We sent someone to town to buy pails and we had buckets of water taken from the pool and placed in each bathroom with which to flush the toilet and one old, old friend (now deceased) called down the hall and asked "are we using these as chamber pots?" So, you can see, I probably am not a good person to comment on what is acceptible and what is not since, as a rule, I tend to bandage everything and go on. I will stick to things I know in future.

Guest cruzr44
Hi all!! Just returned a little over a week ago from our second cruise on the Carnival Triumph. Would just likje to say we had a fab time. Everyone was wonderful no complaints ship wise, however DH did get sick, very sick for two days and ended up in infirmary getting shots..they were pretty sure it was due to smoke salmon also not sea sickness!!! Just to keep in mind...lol

Now we are planning our first trip on Norwegian Cruise Lines. Planning to sail in February on the Majesty from Charleston. Anyone who has taken this trip and can begin giving us ideas on what to expect with Norwegian, we would appreciate your advice!!! Everything from cabins to food and ports of call. Thanks in advance for your info!!

:D :confused: :cool: :)

We have been on the Victory (sister to Triumph) and the Majesty. We had category C on the Majesty, and I was, to say the least, in shock at the size of the cabin on the Majesty. Very tiny. Bring a toiletry bag or one of those "over the door shoe bags" as there is no where to put your "stuff" in the bathroom. There is a small desk at the foot of one bed (left the beds as twins), and a small night stand/table at the foot of the other bed that the TV was on. The show lounge is only one level as compared to huge one on the Victory, but the shows were just as good. I was a little disappointed with the small buffet line and what they had to offer (Majesty). The food in the dining room was very good. I did like the Freestyle dining. This was my sister's first cruise and she had nothing to compare it to so she was in heaven. As you can see in my signature I am going on the Majesty again, but not by choice. My parents are going, my mom is in a wheelchair and my dad needs help with her so my sister and I will be going along for that. Our only port of call was Bermuda so I can't help there. The crew was wonderful. I personally like the larger ships (and a little more room in my cabin), so I would not pick the Majesty again. I can't imagine what she looked like before they stretched her. One more thing I just remembered was the Atlantic Ocean and a smaller ship did not mix well on our trip. Lots of movement, but then again, you could have calm seas too. Enjoy the Majesty if you decide to sail on her. I have pictures I can send, don't know how to post them here. So drop me a line if you would like to see the ship. mx55mom@yahoo.com

Archived