San Diego disembarkation

DrmnOfMaui

My parents are sailing on a Serenade of the Seas repo in September. They disembark here at our home in San Diego. I am going to pick them up, but I'm wondering about how to actually get the! I've driven past the port and see where there will be lines for cabs. Does anyone know if it will be easy enough for me to have them call me by cell when they are ready and then I can just "swing by" and pick them up? My only concern is that my mother is recently having some severe knee issues and is not able to walk far or fast. I have never actually been downtown when the ship was disembarking, so I'm just not sure how it all will work. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Kim

we usually take a taxi home but I have disembarked with friends who had their son pick them up..and the son was allowed to enter the area where the taxi's pick up passengers...if you mention to the gate guard that you have a disabled passenger to pick up you should be allowed to enter. If not then it is not that far for them to walk from where they leave with their baggage to the street...there are also porters available if they need help...let me know if you need any further information. Also..the ship would probably provide your Mom a wheel chair for disembarkation if she asked and one of the crew would take her down. Let me know if I can help with any other information...oh..and since they will have their own private transportation they will probably be one of the last ones off the ship...FYI..LuAnn

Thanks LuAnn! Lots of good info, that is exactly what I needed! I forwarded your response to my dad. I think it will all work. Didn't know about the wheel chair. We are hoping that she is "fixed" up before she goes. :) She has had a flurry of appointments, doctors from chiropractors, to surgeons, to the general GP. Whew... it's been a long few weeks, but it looks like we are making progress. They are both almost 80, and this is their 1st cruise. I can't tell you how excited they are!

I may be back with more questions, but you have answered lots. Thanks LuAnn!

That's wonderful that they are travelling and will experience their first cruise!

My Mom and Dad loved cruising and when my Dad didn't want to go anymore we took my Mom..she was 85 on her last cruise and it was hard for me to keep up with her!

Let me know if I can help further...LuAnn

My parents are sailing on a Serenade of the Seas repo in September. They disembark here at our home in San Diego. I am going to pick them up, but I'm wondering about how to actually get the! I've driven past the port and see where there will be lines for cabs. Does anyone know if it will be easy enough for me to have them call me by cell when they are ready and then I can just "swing by" and pick them up? My only concern is that my mother is recently having some severe knee issues and is not able to walk far or fast. I have never actually been downtown when the ship was disembarking, so I'm just not sure how it all will work. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Kim

How nice that you are doing the "homework" for your parents! Anyone can pull into the pick up area a taxi, a limo or a private vehicle. I am going to be on the same cruise. Did you or your parents check the meet and mingle board? Lots of great info and very friendly people!!!:)

There are metered spaces right outside the terminal area, if you want to come down a few minutes before you think they may be ready to disembark. I think a quarter or two got us 45 minutes on the meter, I wasn't paying real close attention last week. There is plenty to walk around and see right at the dock, you would enjoy your wait time.

Just speaking for myself, I think I'd like to get there ahead of time so will be there as soon as they call. Depending on traffic, Carslbad can be quite a drive to downtown San Diego :o We drove down 2 Saturdays ago and what usually would take us an hour to an hour 15 minutes took us 2 and a half hours.

Archived