Anyone get certified on PG recently ?

vegasbb

I posted something similar in the Pacific thread, but I'll probably get better information here!

I'm do a 7 day trip on the PG in November. I'm not Scuba certified and was wondering what my options will be once on board:

*Do they still offer scuba certifications on the cruise itself?

*If I'm not certified do they offer beginner/intro dives in any of the lagoons?

*If I do everything but the 4 open water dives here locally before I leave, how hard is it to get those done while on the PG?

I realize my best option is to complete everything before I go, HOWEVER, my wedding is looming, and I just moved into a new house, I have a full time job, etc, so time is very limited right now.

It has been over a year since I was on the PG, but I assume they still do full certification. However, my advice is do as much of the certification work (including pool) as you can at home. This will enable you to concentrate on enjoying your vacation. They can do a referral from your local dive shop and do the open water dives in fantastic conditions.

There is a reason why people tell you to do the classwork and pool work at home. No one wants to read, sit in a classroom, or freeze in a pool on vacation. If you do your stuff at a local dive shop most likely they will have a nice heated pool that they use. The pool on the PG is straight out of the ocean and is a little chilly when you are sitting in it for awhile.

If you cant do the referral program, I would just do the discovery dive program. On my recent PG cruise only one kid got certified but there were many non certified divers diving in the discovery program. Dominique and Martin are awesome instructors.

...BUT nothing beats getting certified!!!!!!! Better dives and you surround yourself with other certified divers instead of beginners who often have buoyancy issues. All a referral certification would require is two nights in a pool and two classroom sessions. Then you would do four more dives on vacation. :D

I was certified when I was 19, and hadn't been diving since I was 21. Dominique and co. did a refresher for a few like minded souls and one new certification student in the pool back in 2007. I assume everything is the same. I don't remember freezing in the pool but they made it otherwise painless. I also urge you to do the classwork and pool work at home again, only to minimize the interference with the best vacation experience I have ever had(done it four times). Dominique and his team do a great job with everyone and the dives are not to demanding because you can see so much without going too deep. You will also know that you can handle the SCUBA experience and be that much more comfortable.

One more thing they required of me, I had to go to the ship's doctor and get clearance which cost about $100. If you go and have that done at home you can avoid that.

Ok as a followup question.. if I do the "Padi Scuba Diver" course as opposed to the "Open Water Diver" what does this certify me to do? Anything? Would I be allowed to go on the beginner dives with just the basic Padi one?

Archived