Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We are coming from Oregon & have never been to Florida. We arrive at 7am on the 18th in miami so we have the whole day to explore. Were should we stay? I'm complete overwhelmed with choices. Fort Lauderdale or Miami?? Would prefer a port transfer put would like to experience a little of what Miami/FLL has to offer. Would love a couple suggestions for places to check out. thanks

We are coming from Oregon & have never been to Florida. We arrive at 7am on the 18th in miami so we have the whole day to explore. Were should we stay? I'm complete overwhelmed with choices. Fort Lauderdale or Miami?? Would prefer a port transfer put would like to experience a little of what Miami/FLL has to offer. Would love a couple suggestions for places to check out. thanks

I much prefer Ft. Lauderdale over Miami. Our cruise next month leaves out of Miami but I'm staying in Lauderdale and spending the extra cost to transfer to the port of Miami.

Stayed at Sleep Inn last year and staying again next week. Very nice. Shuttle from airport and also to cruise port. Hot breakfast in morning. Drug store right next to hotel and also across the street mall with grocery store, Ital. mexican, Chinese Rest. hotel was clean and very nice. Shuttle service was prompt. Really enjoyed my stay.

Thank you for your quick reply! It's a relief to hear that this is a nice place....was really dreading starting over hunting for a hotel. It sounds like this will be perfect for what we need.

Can anyone recommend a hotel near Port Everglades that offers free or cheap shuttle to the port and also free parking for the week while we are cruising?

A nice swimming pool to relax in pre-cruise would be great!

Thanks,

Darlene

I just got a room at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 using Priceline. Does anyone know anything about this hotel and if there's a place close by to buy wine and soft drinks? Thanks!

It's an older hotel but it is still very nice. I think there is a convenience store across the street. If not, there is a Walgreens just across the bridge (a few blocks walk). The restaurants at the hotel are good (Pelican's Landing and Grill 66), and Bimini Boatyard across the bridge is very good also. There is a water taxi stop right at the hotel. Priceline classifies this as a beach area hotel, yet there is no public beach access within walking distance. It is the closest hotel in that zone to the port, though.

We are driving down to Florida and then taking a cruise so we will have our SUV. How safe are the hotels to leave a car parked for the week. It doesn't appear that any of the hotels have a gated lot. We are looking at the Hyatt Place South and the Springhill Suites. Our other option is to get a room with points at the Sheraton in Plantation and either park the car there for free or drive the car to the port and park there. How difficult is getting to the port? Are there always parking spots? Do you need to reserve a parking spot?

Thanks for all the help.

It is easy to get from Plantation to the port, but a taxi would cost about $30+ each way, so leaving your car there wouldn't make much sense. Auto theft and breakins are not uncommon in south FL, although I haven't read about it on these boards, so it's probably fine. The port has 24 hr security at least and they don't have reservations.

Do you know anything about Hampton Inn City-Center? We have been considering booking there but couldn't seem to find anyone on these boards with reviews..Just want to have a clean, safe place to stay. thanks.

The hotel seems safe but do not walk outside around it after dark as it is in a high crime area. If you want to go out to dinner just take a taxi 4 blocks to Las Olas Blvd east of US1 or 2 blocks to SE 2nd St. west of Andrews Ave.

Stay at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd in Fort Lauderdale or on A1A (beachfront) in Fort Lauderdale. You'll be able to walk around and explore the area from there.

On other threads I have told others about a problem I encountered in a taxi ride from the Riverside Hotel to the port.

Instead of heading north a block or two and then south on Rt 1 he went east on Las Olas over the bridge, then south on A1A to the 17th Street Bridge where, of course, it was open.

I figured he knew there would be a chance of one bridge being open and then the meter would just tick away. Also, on our last cruise we stayed at the Renaissance and watched the traffic backup when the 17th St Bridge became stuck for over an hour. I can only imagine what the passenger on the other side were thinking.

Any thoughts on this. Have you ever heard of cab drivers doing this?

On other threads I have told others about a problem I encountered in a taxi ride from the Riverside Hotel to the port.

Instead of heading north a block or two and then south on Rt 1 he went east on Las Olas over the bridge, then south on A1A to the 17th Street Bridge where, of course, it was open.

I figured he knew there would be a chance of one bridge being open and then the meter would just tick away. Also, on our last cruise we stayed at the Renaissance and watched the traffic backup when the 17th St Bridge became stuck for over an hour. I can only imagine what the passenger on the other side were thinking.

Any thoughts on this. Have you ever heard of cab drivers doing this?

Yuck. There are 2 drawbridges that way, while there are none the other way. Also, traffic around Las Olas and A1A gets thick at times. All of the port entrances are west of the bridges, as is the hotel. My prefered route is US1 south to SE 17th St east, then enter through Eisenhower Blvd. It's about a 10 minute ride. The lines at the other port entrances tend to be longer and the meter is ticking.

No brainer...Ft Lauderdale.

Stay wherever is the least expensive.

Rent a car at MIA and drop at FLL. Most likely Alamo will have the best rates and no drop fee.

We are arriving in Miami on Feb 24th. Our cruise leaves out of Fort Lauderdale on Feb 27th.

Any recommendations on a nice beach side hotel in Fort Lauderdale? Something close to shops, resturants?

Thanks!!

Are your prepared to drop big $$$ for peak season?

Westin Diplomat or something in Lauderdale By the Sea.

Edited by Salty The Sea Dog

Are your prepared to drop big $$$ for peak season?

Westin Diplomat or something in Lauderdale By the Sea.

We went through Priceline and got the Westin for $89 a night for Jan 13th. I just wish we were coming in even earlier to enjoy the Westin even more. There are tips and help on identifying the hotels of Hotwire and Priceline at betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com

We went through Priceline and got the Westin for $89 a night for Jan 13th. I just wish we were coming in even earlier to enjoy the Westin even more. There are tips and help on identifying the hotels of Hotwire and Priceline at betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com

Which Westin?

January 14th is fairly slow compared to late February.

Hello,

my husband and I will be disembarking from our cruise early morning in Fort Lauderdale next March. Our flight back home is at 8pm so I was wondering if anyone would have the name of a hotel-motel-resort (preferably with a pool and not too far from airport) that would rent us a room from 10am-5pm. I can't believe, I would miss an extra day in the sun waiting in the airport...

Thank you in advance,

The hotel seems safe but do not walk outside around it after dark as it is in a high crime area. If you want to go out to dinner just take a taxi 4 blocks to Las Olas Blvd east of US1 or 2 blocks to SE 2nd St. west of Andrews Ave.

Thanks for the info. Would there be any place to shop in and around the Hampton Inn City? Happy New Year!

We will be staying at the Sheraton FLL Beach Hotel for one night before cruise. Any good places to eat with in walking distance?

3030 in the Marriott Harbor Beach for fine dining.

Coconuts for nice casual dining.

Bahia Cabana for extremely casual dining.

We are arriving in Miami on Feb 24th. Our cruise leaves out of Fort Lauderdale on Feb 27th.

Any recommendations on a nice beach side hotel in Fort Lauderdale? Something close to shops, resturants?

Thanks!!

Marriott Beach Place

Ritz Carlton

Courtyard Marriott

a little further to walk but not too far:

Bahia Mar (well priced, decent but not luxurious)

Sheraton

Westin

W

Hilton