Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

For low rates look at Holiday Inn Express Convention Center, Extended Stay America on 17th St., Hyatt Place north on Valuetrips.com, and Bahia Mar. Best places for the girls to see on the water taxi are Las Olas Blvd, beachfront, and Galleria Mall.

Hi Royalcruz and all,

I am interested in your positive comment about the Bahia Mar; I have read a lot of negative commments about this hotel on a popular travel review site. Of course I recognize that an unhappy traveler is much more likely to write a review, but some of the comments were very strong and indicated that it was not very clean. I was considering it because of location and because it's on my Wyndham rewards list. Do you have a positive feeling about this location? Thanks, Laurie

Hi Royalcruz and all,

I am interested in your positive comment about the Bahia Mar; I have read a lot of negative commments about this hotel on a popular travel review site. Of course I recognize that an unhappy traveler is much more likely to write a review, but some of the comments were very strong and indicated that it was not very clean. I was considering it because of location and because it's on my Wyndham rewards list. Do you have a positive feeling about this location? Thanks, Laurie

I have only been to Bahia Mar for events, so I can only tell you about the location, which is favorable. It is a little further walk to places than some other hotels but certainly is within reasonable walking distance if you are ambulatory. I have seen mostly positive reviews on trip advisor, so I feel comfortable recommending it and it offers good rates. But then I am not a clean freak...if I find a hair I pick it up with tissue and throw it away, while some people will ask to switch rooms or ask that housekeeping recleans the room. The Waldorf Astoria company is building a condo-hotel on the same property, and it is currently managed by LXR resorts.

Staying at the Hyatt North in a couple of days and wondering about restaurant reccomendations that would be walkable. Looking for a nice meal and a couple of good wines. Thank you!

I like Coco Asian Bistro in the Harbor Shops, very close. Bistro Mezzaluna is supposed to be very good but I haven't eaten there. I also like Bimini Boatyard a lot...it's about 6-8 blocks east in the Quay shops...their bread is to die for and they have waterfront outdoor and indoor seating. There is a good Medditeranean restaurant (Persian, I think) called Taza a few blocks east on 17th St.

anyone know how much cost by taxi from port miami to port everglades? i and my daughter will need it on 16 jan?

thanks

diane

We have to get from Port Everglades to Port of Miami next week. We have reserved Larry's Limos for $102. I'll try to post a review when we get back if you're interested.

I am cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale in late April and am looking for a place to stay the night before the cruise. I have cruised once before from there and stayed at the Summerland Suites. It was great, just off of Las Olas Blvd. We could walk to the beach and we had dinner at a great restaurant called Casablanca. There was another restaurant just around the corner where we had breakfast called The Deck. I was really hoping to stay there again but they are sold out due to a medical convention. Do you have any suggestions of other hotels in that area?

I am cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale in late April and am looking for a place to stay the night before the cruise. I have cruised once before from there and stayed at the Summerland Suites. It was great, just off of Las Olas Blvd. We could walk to the beach and we had dinner at a great restaurant called Casablanca. There was another restaurant just around the corner where we had breakfast called The Deck. I was really hoping to stay there again but they are sold out due to a medical convention. Do you have any suggestions of other hotels in that area?

Summerland Suites is actually almost a mile north of Las Olas Blvd. The restaurants that you mentioned are in the area of the W, Westin, Atlantic, and Ritz Carlton Hotels. Some smaller hotels that have been favorites of CC members in the area are Tropirock, Cocobelle, and Pillars. Bahia Mar is about 1.5 miles south and has low rates considering it is right across the street from the beach.

Edited by royalcruz

Summerland Suites is actually almost a mile north of Las Olas Blvd. The restaurants that you mentioned are in the area of the W, Westin, Atlantic, and Ritz Carlton Hotels. Some smaller hotels that have been favorites of CC members in the area are Tropirock, Cocobelle, and Pillars. Bahia Mar is about 1.5 miles south and has low rates considering it is right across the street from the beach.

THANK-YOU very much for the info. I guess I got confused about Las Olas Blvd. because all along the beach it says Las Olas so I assumed that was Las Olas Blvd.

The Tropi Rock and Cocobelle look interesting. Kind of along the same line as the Summerland Suites. I am going to give them a call. I checked out the Bahia Mar and they want over $200 for that one night, and that was more than I wanted spend.

THANK-YOU very much for the info. I guess I got confused about Las Olas Blvd. because all along the beach it says Las Olas so I assumed that was Las Olas Blvd.

The Tropi Rock and Cocobelle look interesting. Kind of along the same line as the Summerland Suites. I am going to give them a call. I checked out the Bahia Mar and they want over $200 for that one night, and that was more than I wanted spend.

Your travel date is during high season, so the rates are highest at that time. I'm sure that you can get a room at these small hotels for around $120. There are lots of little motels in the area but they look gross IMO. These places get good reviews so as long as you aren't looking for recently remodeled rooms they should be fine, like Cocobelle.

Ok, here is my dilemma, We fly into Fll on Dec 31st at 11:35 pm. We sail out of POM on January 2nd. Should we stay at a hotel in Fll or Miami? I was contemplating staying in Downtown Miami so that we are close to POM, but not sure if SAS runs that late. Do they run on Jan 1st? I don't know the area and need some recommendations. Thank you in advance.

The Hampton area doesn't give you a feel for Fort Lauderdale at all. Across the street is Oakwood Plaza...it has discount chain stores, inexpensive chain restaurants, an arcade, and a multiplex cinema. The best restaurant IMO is Hollywood Ale House, a very casual sports bar/grill. The water taxi is a great way to see a bunch of areas. You can get to it easily from most Fort Laud beach hotels, from the hotels on 17th St (Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites are a bit of a walk though), from Riverside Hotel on Las Olas, Il Lugano, and GalleryOne Doubletree. For low rates look at Holiday Inn Express Convention Center, Extended Stay America on 17th St., Hyatt Place north on Valuetrips.com, and Bahia Mar. Best places for the girls to see on the water taxi are Las Olas Blvd, beachfront, and Galleria Mall.

Hi, how far is the Holiday Inn Convention Center from the beach? I am a Wyndham rewards member; this is Wyndham/Wyndham Garden, Days Inn, Ramada, HoJo's, and Super 8. I am not wedded to staying in one of these places, but if I could find one that was a clean bed and close to the beach, I would stay there because the prices are great. The problem I'm having is that I can't tell from the addresses that I get from a Wyndham search where they are located in relation to the beach and to the port. The top 4 on the search are a Ramada on Marina Mile Blvd., Days Inn on West Broward Blvd., Days Inn on Oakland Park Blvd., and the Bahia that we already discussed. I really appreciate your willingness to give me your opinions on these locations. Thank you, Laurie

Hi, how far is the Holiday Inn Convention Center from the beach? I am a Wyndham rewards member; this is Wyndham/Wyndham Garden, Days Inn, Ramada, HoJo's, and Super 8. I am not wedded to staying in one of these places, but if I could find one that was a clean bed and close to the beach, I would stay there because the prices are great. The problem I'm having is that I can't tell from the addresses that I get from a Wyndham search where they are located in relation to the beach and to the port. The top 4 on the search are a Ramada on Marina Mile Blvd., Days Inn on West Broward Blvd., Days Inn on Oakland Park Blvd., and the Bahia that we already discussed. I really appreciate your willingness to give me your opinions on these locations. Thank you, Laurie

IMO The only decent location on that list is the HIE Convention Center. It is about 2 miles from the public beach, which you can easily get to by suntrolley or public bus 40 if you don't want to take a cab. It is 1-2 blocks from the port entrance. Personally, I would not stay in the other motels on the list.

Ok, here is my dilemma, We fly into Fll on Dec 31st at 11:35 pm. We sail out of POM on January 2nd. Should we stay at a hotel in Fll or Miami? I was contemplating staying in Downtown Miami so that we are close to POM, but not sure if SAS runs that late. Do they run on Jan 1st? I don't know the area and need some recommendations. Thank you in advance.

I think you should address these questions directly with SAS, as policies change. If they will transport you from Fort Lauderdale to POM on January 1st, then find a clean and inexpensive hotel by the airport, like Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, or Sleep Inn.

Royalcruz

We are staying at the Sleep Inn (Dania) and arriving by noon. Since we have the afternoon and evening before our cruise we wanted to get take a tour of Ft. Lauderdale.

Are there any tours that would pick us up at hotel??

What is the best method to getting to the closest stop on water taxi (rent a car, cab, etc) If cab what woould the approximate cab fare be??

If we take water taxi what suggestions for stops??

Is there a water tour available or is it best just to take the water taxi??

Thanks

Royalcruz

We are staying at the Sleep Inn (Dania) and arriving by noon. Since we have the afternoon and evening before our cruise we wanted to get take a tour of Ft. Lauderdale.

Are there any tours that would pick us up at hotel??

What is the best method to getting to the closest stop on water taxi (rent a car, cab, etc) If cab what woould the approximate cab fare be??

If we take water taxi what suggestions for stops??

Is there a water tour available or is it best just to take the water taxi??

Thanks

Some water tours are Jungle Queen and Carrie B.

Here is the water taxi route map.

http://www.watertaxi.com/FLLMap.Asp.htm

The nearest stops would be at the convention center or at Las Olas Riverfront. Stop at Bahia Mar or Beach Place for the beach area. Get off on the river for downtown.

We are driving from the west coast in March and will be cruising out of Port Everglades for 14 days.

Has anyone used stay123.com to book a room? On their site they list, and you can book six different hotel/motels where you can leave your car free for up to 14 days for booking a room.

The three cheapest are Hampton Inn & Suites, 2500 Stirling Rd @ $119.00

Rodeway Inn & Suites, 2440 West State Road 84 @ $129.00

Days Inn Cruiseport, 1700 West Broward Blvd. 1-95 @ $144.00

We're looking at $180.00 plus to park our car at the lots, so staying overnight seems better.

royalcruz: Any problems with location of any of them?

Thank you

Snowbird

We are driving from the west coast in March and will be cruising out of Port Everglades for 14 days.

Has anyone used stay123.com to book a room? On their site they list, and you can book six different hotel/motels where you can leave your car free for up to 14 days for booking a room.

The three cheapest are Hampton Inn & Suites, 2500 Stirling Rd @ $119.00

Rodeway Inn & Suites, 2440 West State Road 84 @ $129.00

Days Inn Cruiseport, 1700 West Broward Blvd. 1-95 @ $144.00

We're looking at $180.00 plus to park our car at the lots, so staying overnight seems better.

royalcruz: Any problems with location of any of them?

Thank you

Snowbird

I booked through them. I booked Cambria Suites in Dania Beach for 12/3/10. Prior to booking I called the hotel directly and asked if they were legit. I was told they are. The hotel was unable to match the price offered on the website. I've spoken with the manager of the hotel a couple of times and we are definately booked and leaving our car there for free for our 8 day cruise.

I booked through them. I booked Cambria Suites in Dania Beach for 12/3/10. Prior to booking I called the hotel directly and asked if they were legit. I was told they are. The hotel was unable to match the price offered on the website. I've spoken with the manager of the hotel a couple of times and we are definately booked and leaving our car there for free for our 8 day cruise.

Sounds good to me!!!!

Snowbird

Sounds good to me!!!!

Snowbird

Oh I forgot to mention, it's a brand new all suite hotel. It opened either the end of '09 or early '10. If you google it you'll come up with the website.

I'll try to rememberr to post about it when we arrive.