Carnival- western caribbean... Liberty or Triumph?

lisabug08

We're trying to decide between 2 cruises for next July, 2010.... the Liberty out of Miami to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel or the Triumph out of New Orleans to Isla Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. Has anyone been on either of these? What do you think? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated:D

Personally, I would rather go to Grand Caymen and Cozumel then Belize and Roatan. Plus the Liberty is a 7 day cruise. While I love the Triumph, it only does 4/5 day cruises. I would go with the liberty cruise. I noticed you can get a Liberty cruise balcony room for $909 for certain dates. Thats the better value.

edit..I stand corrected!! There is one 7-day Triumph cruise on 7/31.

Im just the opposite, Roatan is my favorite port by far, and many others here who have been there are fans. Limoguy have you actually been to Roatan?? I cant imagine not loving it. Im so so about Belize. Next time I wouldnt do a tour of town. I hear getting out in the country everyone loved it.

PS Iv been to Roatan 3 times and pick the alternating week that Voyager goes there on purpose. Its that much fun.

Depends if you're main priority are the ports or the ship. If it's the ship, the Liberty wins hands down (I was not real impressed with the Triumph). If it's the ports, the only one I'd hesitate on would be Jamaica...but even then, you can still hang out in the gated area at Margaritaville (assuming it's Ocho Rios) or on the ship. There are fun things to do in all of the ports.

Depends if you're main priority are the ports or the ship. If it's the ship, the Liberty wins hands down (I was not real impressed with the Triumph). If it's the ports, the only one I'd hesitate on would be Jamaica...but even then, you can still hang out in the gated area at Margaritaville (assuming it's Ocho Rios) or on the ship. There are fun things to do in all of the ports.

My opinion:

Jamica:

We throughly enjoyed the trip to Dunns Falls and the afternoon at the Bamboo Beach club. You sit on the beach in lounge chairs while they bring you jerk chicken and other foods, acohol and non-alcoholic drinks right to your lounge chair on the beach. They have dancers on the beach for you to watch if you get tired of the beautiful beach and ocean. Very decadent. And highly recommended.

Grand Caymans:

You have to do the Stingray tour. It's one of the best experiences you will ever have kissing a stingray, holding a in the wild stingray. Very cool.

I couldn't find a private or through Carnival a tour to Hell and the stingrays that you didn't have to go to the turtle farm. You can get a trip to hell. You can get a trip for the Stingray's but if you want to do both you have to go to the turtle farm.

Cozmel:

We did the mayan ruins tour so we didn't stay in Cozmel.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at the ships without looking at the itinerary, I would pick the Liberty. I have been on this ship twice and I absolutely love it. It's newer and a bit larger than the Triumph. Cabins are the same size, but they are more updated with a mini-fridge and more modern decor.

About the itinerary. It depends on what you're looking for:

Cozumel and Grand Cayman are more "touristy" (in other words, run over with thousands of tourists, multiple ships in port at once, and tons of tacky souvenir shops, etc, etc, etc). Choose these if you want destinations that are more tourist friendly and you don't want to leave your comfort zone too much.

Belize and Roatan are not as "touristy" (in other words, your ship might be the only ship in port. Facilities for tourists are not as well developed so expect to have a more real experience.) Choose these if you want destinations that are more off the beaten path, and you like exploring new things and cultures.

I personally don't care too much for Cozumel. Too comercialized for my taste. If I'm going on a cruise, the last thing I want to see is McDonald's or Starbucks (like in Cozumel).

If I were picking ships it would be the Liberty hands down. Thanks to the Triumph I have not been on a cruise for 2 yrs and I was a three cruise a year gal. Such a bad experience --crew and ship-- my husband won't go again. The itinery you are stating for the triumph if the one I did on the valor and loved it. I have also done the Jamaica route three times and it is ok. I guess I would pick the Liberty just because I get queasy thinking about the smell we encountered on the Triumph for 7 days.

Thanks everyone! Think we may choose the Liberty, just because we have been on the Triumph before (although to different ports) and it might be nice to go on a different ship, plus, looks like we may be able to get a good deal on airfare to Miami :)

Archived