Island Princess Love/Hate/Tips/Secrets

milan84

We did the partial 10 day transit of the Canal on the Coral and loved it. We had a port balcony cabin and the transit started about 6:30 AM. Naturally we were out on it watching and it got very hot. The sun was rising right in our faces! And this was in February. I ended up going around the ship watching our progress just to be in the shade.

Be warned that if you want an early breakfast in your cabin, Princess doesn't start delivering those until 7:30. I felt sorry for all those poor waiters and waitresses humping all those trays to us lazy passengers sitting on our balconies.

I don't know if they did it on starboard side, but on the port side there were the ship's photographers and videographers taking still and movies of all the people on their balconies. Of course we were in our robes and w/o makeup or our hair even combed! Needless to say, we did not purchase those photos.

The Coral was my first Princess ship and we liked it a lot more than our next which was the Grand. Not as crowded and very comfortable all around.

We will be on the Island Princess Christmas week and appreciate all the hints and secrets. My big dilemma is whether to stay on board (and risk being bored after a few hours of transit) or to go to the Embera Village and not have the Full Transit Experience.

--My_AZ

Not our favorite Princess ship but nice. The big negative for us was our cabin location. We had B503 - a hump mini suite. Centrally located but it was directly across from a service door that was used 24x7 by every branch of the staff. We always heard housekeeping in the morning and at night and then the last night with the offloading of luggage was the worst experience we have ever had on a cruise.

Would I cruise the Island again - maybe...it would depend on the itin and I would for sure do more research on our cabin location. I would probably book a cabin that had another room directly across rather than risk it.

That's odd. We were in B503 on the Coral (same layout as the Island) and did not notice an issue with noise at all from the service area. :confused: We loved the cabin and the location.

I love the indoor (covered) pool area. Never any problem finding a lounger. I enjoy the thermal suite with the hot stone loungers, gym is a nice size . Loved the wrap around promenade deck, some of the newer ships you have to go up to the next deck to complete the entire lap around. My only complaint with Island ( we did the 19 Panama Canal 4/08) was it seemed very disorganized as far as getting passengers off of the ship at tender ports. The directions by the staff were poor, and there were many unhappy cruisers. Other than that I LOVE Island and can't wait to cruise on her sister Coral 4/10.

We will be on the Island Princess Christmas week and appreciate all the hints and secrets. My big dilemma is whether to stay on board (and risk being bored after a few hours of transit) or to go to the Embera Village and not have the Full Transit Experience.

--My_AZ

I'd stay on board if it was my first transit. You can always go to the Embera village on your next cruise to the Canal. ;)

We loved the smaller size of the Island...and less passengers. Loved the brewed coffee at the Patisserie and the cookies in the afternoon. Our cabin was near the secret doors on Baja Deck, so we were able to catch the views from two additional angles. The new "Pub Lunch" is not served in the Wheelhouse Bar, like on the larger ships, but in the Bayou Cafe. Check the Patters for days and times. If you are "foodies" and can get on it, do the Chef's Table. The meal is outstanding and the accompanying wines are a perfect compliment. Just don't eat much, if anything, during the day. It makes Sabatini's look like a snack.

Get involved and enjoy your cruise!

The new "Pub Lunch" is not served in the Wheelhouse Bar' date=' like on the larger ships, but in the Bayou Cafe. Check the Patters for days and times. [/color'][/b]

Is there a charge for this "pub lunch" ?

Also, is the Bayou only open on sea days?

I know most people love the Island/Coral ships, but we are not among the fans. DH is really into photography, and the large deck areas are obstructed by blue plexi-glass windscreens that interfere with his shots. If you are in a balcony cabin, you can take pictures off your private balcony, but if not, you will be competing with too many other passengers scrambling for the great photo areas.:( Other than this, they are lovely ships.

Is there a charge for this "pub lunch" ?

Also, is the Bayou only open on sea days?

The pub lunch is free..

The Bayou is normally not open for lunch.

The Bayou is not normally open for lunch, but they are now serving the "Pub Lunch" menu on select days. I was surprised that it was served there and not in the Wheelhouse, where you can normally expect to see it on the larger ships.

The Pub Lunch menu includes Fish and Chips, Sheppard's Pie, etc., traditional items you'd find on the menu at a pub.

No one has mentioned the balcony cabin bump-outs, which are the reason for the jogs in the hallways. Take a look at a cabin layout of Coral and Island - you will notice that some cabins are bumped out near the elevators and some are inset. Those inset cabins have a somewhat obstructed view forward and aft, and if you have a cabin adjacent to a bump-out you will lose a lot of your view. It also interferes with your GPS.

Moral - get a cabin in the bumped-out area if you can. If not, get a cabin in them middle of the inset area.

How many rooms down from the bump out section should you be to avoid obstructed views ?

No one has mentioned the balcony cabin bump-outs, which are the reason for the jogs in the hallways. Take a look at a cabin layout of Coral and Island - you will notice that some cabins are bumped out near the elevators and some are inset. Those inset cabins have a somewhat obstructed view forward and aft, and if you have a cabin adjacent to a bump-out you will lose a lot of your view. It also interferes with your GPS.

Moral - get a cabin in the bumped-out area if you can. If not, get a cabin in them middle of the inset area.

OP here...

Thanks EVERYONE for all the great tips...keep them coming, I love reading about your exeriences and suggestions!!!

So far I've noted - milk and cookies, free soft serve, hidden viewing areas, great food... am I missing anything???

The Bayou is not normally open for lunch, but they are now serving the "Pub Lunch" menu on select days. I was surprised that it was served there and not in the Wheelhouse, where you can normally expect to see it on the larger ships.

The Pub Lunch menu includes Fish and Chips, Sheppard's Pie, etc., traditional items you'd find on the menu at a pub.

Thankfully they're moving the "Pub Lunch" out of the Wheelhouse Bar. I'd think you'd have to balance your plate on your lap since most of the tables are cocktail tables. On our last voyage on the Caribbean Princess, the Pub Lunch was held in the Crown Grill. Perfect venue for it...

Archived