Questions on booking shore excursions

chicagogal

Two questions:

If a shore excursion says "it has reached the maximum on line bookings", is it your experience that you can usually still book it on the ship, or are these truly "sold out"?

If you do book on line, can you later change your mind and cancel on the ship without being charged?

We are going to Alaska if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Two questions: If a shore excursion says "it has reached the maximum on line bookings", is it your experience that you can usually still book it on the ship, or are these truly "sold out"? If you do book on line, can you later change your mind and cancel on the ship without being charged? We are going to Alaska if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Excellent questions! Look forward to learning more. We are planning a July 1-16, 2010, cruise from Copenhagen along the Norway Coast, doing the fjords to up above the Arctic Circle and North Cape. Interested in the sizing, quality, pricing and styles of tours that Silversea sets up and does. Many cruise lines use the same local tour guides and companies, but what's the Silversea philosophy/approach on the value and types of tours conducted, etc.? Is Silversea just looking on these efforts as just another profit-center to push or are they more focused on the quality and making customers happy?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In my experience with excursions on SS, you can always add to a waiting list. Even if a particular excursion is pre-booked, often people change their minds and there is a good chance you can book. Excursions are NEVER paid in advance, only added to your bill to pay at the end of the cruise. There is, however, usually a time limit for cancellation, which may be a day or two before the excursion takes place. So there is almost no risk either way - pre-booking if you think you may be interested, or cancelling within the time limit when aboard ship.

I think SS goes out of its way to provide a good experience. If the excursion involves a bus or boat/train ride, the accommodations will be as good as is available, and it will NOT be crowded. Often there will be snacks, and always water, whereas I have heard the mass market excursions can be very crowded. Remember, you are travelling with a relatively small group or pax compared to the larger lines, and with several choices of things to do in a particular port day, there is no need to worry about crowding. Often, if there is a demand for an excursion that is at capacity, SS will add another bus/boat or whatever is appropriate.

They want you to be happy! Remember, these top of the line excursions are part of wht you are paying for in a luxury line.

You will have a wonderful time, I guarantee!

:D

Excellent questions! Look forward to learning more. We are planning a July 1-16, 2010, cruise from Copenhagen along the Norway Coast, doing the fjords to up above the Arctic Circle and North Cape. Interested in the sizing, quality, pricing and styles of tours that Silversea sets up and does. Many cruise lines use the same local tour guides and companies, but what's the Silversea philosophy/approach on the value and types of tours conducted, etc.? Is Silversea just looking on these efforts as just another profit-center to push or are they more focused on the quality and making customers happy?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry, my experience with the excursions is that they are very well run and every effort is made for the comfort of the passengers. For example, on every bus, there is a staff member there to make sure of the quality of the experience and to also make sure that the guides stick to the rules. One of these rules is not to ask or hint for tips.

On a Norway excursion, they came up one bus short. Everyone got a seat, but the buses were full, which is not the way it usually works. At the end of the day, the tour director refunded everyone's money, just for the inconvenience of having a packed bus.

My opinion is that Silversea is focused on providing a quality excursion.

To follow up on my last comment regarding the full buses on an excursion: as far as I know nobody was complaining about the full buses -- the decision to refund everyone's money was made independently by the Silversea tour director because, as he said to me, "This is not the way we run things here, people should not be crowded into every seat on the bus."

Terry, my experience with the excursions is that they are very well run and every effort is made for the comfort of the passengers. For example, on every bus, there is a staff member there to make sure of the quality of the experience and to also make sure that the guides stick to the rules. One of these rules is not to ask or hint for tips. On a Norway excursion, they came up one bus short. Everyone got a seat, but the buses were full, which is not the way it usually works. At the end of the day, the tour director refunded everyone's money, just for the inconvenience of having a packed bus. My opinion is that Silversea is focused on providing a quality excursion.

THANKS for the background and your excellent experiences! Keep the "good stuff" flowing. It's very helpful. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Two questions:

If a shore excursion says "it has reached the maximum on line bookings", is it your experience that you can usually still book it on the ship, or are these truly "sold out"?

We had this exact question on our excursion in Yalta last week. We embarked early and made a beeline to the Excursion Desk. We were told that the excursion was sold out.

However, the day before the excursion date, we were confirmed on the excursion. They added a second bus when they worked out the excursion difficulties (a small restaurant had to add a second seating for lunch). This is not the first time a last minute confirmation occurred. To help yourself, phone SS and request that you be added to the wait list for the excursion. Then pursue it actively on board.

Good Luck.

Archived