Purell

jbroons

Most people wouldn't bring their own and many don't wash their hands, so there's a slight chance they might use the ones there. The only bad side to all the hand sanitizers is they don't take care of Norovirus.

Most people wouldn't bring their own and many don't wash their hands, so there's a slight chance they might use the ones there. The only bad side to all the hand sanitizers is they don't take care of Norovirus.

Exactly...and, like most drugs, cleansers, etc.., the more you use them the more that they do not work.

Does Carnival REALLY need to have "Purell Stations" outside of every bathroom, buffet line, pool, etc.? Can't people simply take care of themselves?

I like having the sanitizers handy when I am about to eat.

It would make no sense to have them outside of a bathroom because presumably you would have just washed your hands. Any idiot who won't wash hands is not going to use the sanitizer either.

But yes, it is necessary to have the sanitizer in front of every place where food is served. That hand rail you just touched on the stairs could be full of norovirus and then you go and eat a hamburger with your hands, and pretty soon there is an epidemic on board. You have to sanitize before eating, there is no choice.

I like having the sanitizers handy when I am about to eat.

It would make no sense to have them outside of a bathroom because presumably you would have just washed your hands. Any idiot who won't wash hands is not going to use the sanitizer either.

But yes, it is necessary to have the sanitizer in front of every place where food is served. That hand rail you just touched on the stairs could be full of norovirus and then you go and eat a hamburger with your hands, and pretty soon there is an epidemic on board. You have to sanitize before eating, there is no choice.

The problem is there is a false sense of security because the hand sanitizers don't take care of Norovirus.

Actually, you don't know this to be a fact, because there are hand sanitizers that have been shown to be effective against noro. The Purell VF481 is an example, and that may actually be why Carnival is putting the stations out...

Alcohol based sanitizers aren't typically effective in controling viral infections (including the new threat H1N1), as a general rule. That's not to say that it doesn't cut down on the other, numerous bacterial infections possible. I like having them available, but also tend to carry my own antibacterial (Triclosan-containing) hand "sanitizer"...that being said, I am also fastidious about hand-washing, and urge others to do the same.

I love having them there and like to think it's a result of a comment card I dropped on a cruse a few years ago :D.

While I wash my hands in the restroom and LOVE those new door tissues, it's good to be able to sanitze whenever I even stroll pass a restroom.

On NCL a few years ago they were all over and outside every dining room and we were required to use before going in. They actually had a hostess stationed there to "remind" you if you did not use on your own. I have rarely seen them on Conquest, but I do like the tissues at the exit of public restrooms and use them!

Alcohol based sanitizers aren't typically effective in controling viral infections (including the new threat H1N1), as a general rule. That's not to say that it doesn't cut down on the other, numerous bacterial infections possible. I like having them available, but also tend to carry my own antibacterial (Triclosan-containing) hand "sanitizer"...that being said, I am also fastidious about hand-washing, and urge others to do the same.

Wow - I didn' know that some hand sanitizers didn't kill all viruses! I always carry Purell or similar one in my purse. Could you give me the name of a good Triclosan - containing hand sanitizer, please?? Thanks so much. :)

I'm all for the hand sanitizers being all over the place.. personally it totally skeeves me out just thinking about the slobs that don't wash their hands after using the rest rooms... puts the buffets in a whole new light...ewwwwwwwwww

I can only hope that if the cruise line puts enough of those sanitizing stations around the ship then maybe some of those pigs would be more likely to use them since they are too lazy to use a sink.

Source?

Why does the CDC recommend using alcohol-based hand sanitizer?

Take these everyday steps to protect your health:

• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners* are also effective.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
  • Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
  • If you are sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.) Keep away from others as much as possible to keep from making others sick.

Exactly...and, like most drugs, cleansers, etc.., the more you use them the more that they do not work.

That hasn't been true in my case at all. I used to get 2-3 colds between November and March. Since I started using hand sanitizer regularly about 10 years ago, I only get one cold at the most and sometimes not even a cold for two years. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Wow - I didn' know that some hand sanitizers didn't kill all viruses! I always carry Purell or similar one in my purse. Could you give me the name of a good Triclosan - containing hand sanitizer, please?? Thanks so much. :)

Well, honestly, Triclosan is an antibacterial agent also, so wouldn't be that much for effective against viruses than the Purell option. Most alcohol-based hand sanitizer formulations offer excellent initial reduction of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, fungi and multi-drug resistant pathogens such as vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus (VRE) and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Notice, viruses are not mentioned here. Benzalkonium Chloride is another option for topical "santizing"...often used in blood and tissue centers prior to venous puncture, but provides immediate and initial reduction in the above mentioned organisms.

However, as mentioned previously, Purell hand sanitizer with VF447 (a proprietary mix of 78% EtOH, Citric Acid and Polyquaternium) is effective against Norovirus. I don't know about its effectiveness against H1N1 flu, so as a backup, wash your hands as often as possible when on a ship. :)

However, as mentioned previously, Purell hand sanitizer with VF447 (a proprietary mix of 78% EtOH, Citric Acid and Polyquaternium) is effective against Norovirus. I don't know about its effectiveness against H1N1 flu, so as a backup, wash your hands as often as possible when on a ship. :)

See post 17- that is about H1N1.

Source?

Why does the CDC recommend using alcohol-based hand sanitizer?

From the same CDC page. :D

...and alcohols are effective against human influenza viruses if used in proper concentration for a sufficient length of time. For example, wipes or gels with alcohol in them can be used to clean hands. The gels should be rubbed into hands until they are dry.

*What if soap and water are not available and alcohol-based products are not allowed in my facility?

Though the scientific evidence is not as extensive as that on hand washing and alcohol-based sanitizers, other hand sanitizers that do not contain alcohol may be useful for killing flu germs on hands.

Keeping in mind that people rarely use health care products such as alcohol-based hand sanitization products as labeled AND there are many factions out there against alcohol-based product use pushing for the non-alcohol-based alternatives, I am giving advice based on my medical knowledge in the clinical research industry and work with the S. Texas Blood and Tissue Center, which is regulated by the CDC .

I love the idea of having all the hand sanitizer dispensers available. It will definitely help to reduce the chance that I will run out of the Purell I will be bringing with me. Even if it only kills a few germs, it's better than nothing, IMHO... I did not see the dispensers on my past cruises, but it has been about 3 years since my last one. I hope to see them on the Freedom in November... ;)

From the same CDC page. :D

Keeping in mind that people rarely use health care products such as alcohol-based hand sanitization products as labeled AND there are many factions out there against alcohol-based product use pushing for the non-alcohol-based alternatives, I am giving advice based on my medical knowledge in the clinical research industry and work with the S. Texas Blood and Tissue Center, which is regulated by the CDC .

No disrespect, but the quote you cited from the same page also supports alcohol based sanitizer- it says use the other non-alcohol type IF the alcohol based type is not available or permitted.

If that information is incorrect, and you are affiliated with the CDC, then perhaps you should work within your chain of command to have those statements removed from the H1N1 guidance.

Archived