CCL leaves family over medical issue

jleq

Another poster raised an interesting point..who was it on the ship and what qualifications did the land based facility have? (since Carnival directed them to the land based facility). Insurance should have been purchased but Carnival wiping themselves of any responsibility in how all of this played out is in very bad taste. Knowing Carnival and their sleazy underhanded ways of doing business I suspect they were too concerned about a legal issue that could erupt and decided this passenger needs to leave. I hope this family pursues legal action against Carnival and I hope they make it hurt. Carnival needs to be reined in...they are a truely vile company.

You're kidding, right?:confused:

Yes, Carnival will help take care of you. When we had to debark in Grand Cayman due to medical emergency (DH heart attack), our family was able to pack ourselves, but Carnival will help with every detail if you are unable to (they offered to pack us up, get our bags for us, etc.) About 10 of the staff even tendered from the ship to GC with us, taking care of our bags & us until the port authority took over.

And folks, folks, folks who still want to think Carnival is at fault here... as has been posted here several times, it is very clear in the passenger contract & from the infirmary staff themseleves that they are NOT a full blown medical facility equipped to treat such medical emergencies. They will treat you as best they can (as they did my DH) and get you to the nearest medical facility, whether it's an upcoming port, or an air evacuation. Thus, a pretty clear & convincing reason for travel insurncae, but that poor horse has been beaten to death here already. :)

While I've not personally experienced the need for medical care onboard a ship, nor has anyone I've sailed with, I can recall twice when a passenger was transported ashore for medical care at a hospital and was left on the island.

You'll never convince those dissenters that Carnival isn't some monstrous corporate entity that throws passengers off the ship at will. They will never be convinced that the crew on a cruise ship takes seriously the well-being of the passengers. They will ALWAYS belive that somehow, Carnival conspires against them on evrything from food to price to medical decisions; caring not one whit for their safety...and life. Likewise, they will always believe that it's all about money...that Carnival is out to get as much money from them as possible....

So, no need to try.

Leave the flat-earthers to their delusions. You'll never change their mind anyway.

Another poster raised an interesting point..who was it on the ship and what qualifications did the land based facility have? (since Carnival directed them to the land based facility). Insurance should have been purchased but Carnival wiping themselves of any responsibility in how all of this played out is in very bad taste. Knowing Carnival and their sleazy underhanded ways of doing business I suspect they were too concerned about a legal issue that could erupt and decided this passenger needs to leave. I hope this family pursues legal action against Carnival and I hope they make it hurt. Carnival needs to be reined in...they are a truely vile company.

Ok, you can not be serious. Are you suggesting that the hospital in the Grand Caymans was unqualified? The Caymans have 2 hospitals, The George Town Hospital, which is affiliated with the Baptist Hospital of Miami and the Chrissie Tomlinson Memorial Hospital, which is a privately owned hospital but open to all.

How could her doctor, without seeing her, either in person or by way of contact with another doctor, know exactly what was happening to her and suggest that all she needed was an ice pack; and people are questioning Carnival and their medical staff.

How did Carnival wipe themselves of any responsibility, they directed them to the hospital, saw that their things were brought them and most likely, made sure that they were able to contact those they needed to concerning the issue.

Of course Carnival, as well as any other cruise line or entity, would be concerned as to what, if any. legal issue could insue due to them letting the passanger stay aboard and possibly suffer more severe and even possible life threatening issues.

As to anything being underhanded, I can not see it. Carnival did what the ship's doctor, as well as the doctor that saw the passanger thought was in her best interest. If this makes the company "vile", then I am glad they are so.

I find it interesting, when a cruise line, be it Carnival or RC or any other, does that which is deemed to be in the best interest of passangers, if it is not what some want, it is underhanded, vile, a rip off, a lie, and other such things.

I do not believe that a company, no matter how big or small, that has been in business as long as RC and Carnival, is going to do things that would hurt themselves. Yes, there will be mistakes, there will be accidents, there will be acts of god, but in the long run, these cruise lines need us, the cruisers, to stay in business.

Just my thoughts for what little they are worth. Ohh, and yes, I have only cruised on Carnival, but that does not mean I believe that everything about Carnival is "perfect". I live in the real world, unlike some others. ;)

I find it interesting, when a cruise line, be it Carnival or RC or any other, does that which is deemed to be in the best interest of passangers, if it is not what some want, it is underhanded, vile, a rip off, a lie, and other such things.

I do not believe that a company, no matter how big or small, that has been in business as long as RC and Carnival, is going to do things that would hurt themselves. Yes, there will be mistakes, there will be accidents, there will be acts of god, but in the long run, these cruise lines need us, the cruisers, to stay in business.

They apparently bought into the anti capitalist idea that corporations cannot have their customers interests at heart.

The truth is companies have to make money to stay in business. To stay in business they must sell a product people want at a price people will pay, creating value for both the company and the customer. If they didn't take care of their customers they wouldn't have lasted as long as they've lasted, nor grown as much as they've grown.

I think the travelers were trying to generate pressure on Carnival to pay them for their mistake of not buying insurance. The news media was only to happy to help.

This guy is nothing but a Carnival basher. A great many of his posts do nothing but bash all things Carnival. He is an expert on nothing but BS as far as I can see.

This guy is nothing but a Carnival basher. A great many of his posts do nothing but bash all things Carnival. He is an expert on nothing but BS as far as I can see.

Yes, after posting, I went and read some of Savoia's posts and realized that they are so set against Carnival, that nothing short of them actually owning and running Carnival, would satisfy them. Each person is entitled to their opinion, would be nice if there was some basis of actual facts to back up said opinion.

Just my thoughts and opinions of course.

But thier are port agents in every single stop and one is assigned to you right away to help you through any issues. I am going to guess Carnival is no different from Princess in that a cruise rep on land also watches everything going on and helps make arrangements as needed. The cruiseline, although you are not longer on the ship, does not leave you high and dry, trust me, I know this from first hand expereince and makes me think that this article left out some very important facts after being taken off the ship. Our cruise rep made arrangements to get us over the border once released from the hosptial, made hotel and flight arrangements, everything.... We had no travel insurance and we were charged just thier cost for all these things. She did not stop checking up on us until I was home. Actually, the last phone call I got from her I was back home in my living room.

I am relieved to know that they don't leave you stranded with no one to help you if something happens because I would not know what to do or how to go about doing it. We do however always buy insurance as soon as we book our cruise so that any pre-existing conditions are covered. You never know what might happen. Anything can come up at the last minute or during the cruise. You can shop for insurance and it is not that expensive and it gives me a lot of peace of mind knowing I have it.

In 2006 we were on the Conquest. My sister-in-law got a bladder infection she started to run fever. This was on Sunday we were to be in Cozumel Tuesday the ship doctor wasn't sure if it was a bladder infection. She was sure and my mother in-law was sure because, they get them enough to know the systems. My sister-in-law is 50? so she didn't tell her mother she felt bad she went to ships doctor. He gave her something for the fever and told her if she wasn't any better when we got to port she would have to see a doctor. My sister-in-law did not have any meds for a bladder infection but, thank goodness my mother-in-law did. I know you never take anyone else meds. But by time we reached port Tuesday she was feeling alot better. Her fever was gone. She did stay on the ship and did not go into Cozumel only because she was tired. Carnival 's med staff did not bother her the rest of the cruise. And she had a great time. Carnival just does not take a risk. Oh, by the way she had insurance.

I just do not understand people:confused:

People say they save for months, can't wait for their cruise, etc. etc. Spend hundreds if not thousands but don't spend a little more to get insurance.

They were even traveling with kids. Anything could happen with kids.

Can't you buy insurance right up until you cruise? If they knew she had an injury (issue) why not get the insurance just in case.

"......and people are crazy"

I just do not understand people:confused:

People say they save for months, can't wait for their cruise, etc. etc. Spend hundreds if not thousands but don't spend a little more to get insurance.

They were even traveling with kids. Anything could happen with kids.

Can't you buy insurance right up until you cruise? If they knew she had an injury (issue) why not get the insurance just in case.

"......and people are crazy"

The time to buy insurance is very shortly after BOOKING the cruise. Policies have a "pre-existing condition" clause that eliminates coverage for ANY condition that a person has received treatment or medical advice within the 90 or 120 days before the purchase of the insurance. BUT if the insurance is purchased within a week or 2 weeks of BOOKING the cruise, the "pre-existing conditions" clause is WAIVED.

There are a few, more expensive policies, that will allow purchase up to the final payment date and still waive the "pre-exist"

In the OP's case, insurance purchased just before the cruise date would not have covered the bleeding as it would have been as a RESULT of a 'pre-existing condition.'

The basis of most insurance complaints is that people want insurance companies to be understanding or flexible. But, by law, companies must follow exactly what the actual words in the policy state. No more, no less!

Archived