Need recommendations for sites not to miss

Grammar Goddess

Hi,

Although this is our second visit to St. Thomas, we didn't really see much of it before. We took the ferry to St. John and spent the day there. This time, my husband wants very much to shop at the camera store where our driver took us last year and then tour St. Thomas.

Do you think we could just grab a cab at the cruise dock, have him take us to the photo shop and wait, then drive us around to see the sites? :confused:

I'd need recommendations for places we'd want to be sure to ask him to take us. Any idea what taxi drivers charge? Does anyone know of anyone we might book in advance for this private tour?

Thanks so much. :)

GG

As previously noted in a related post about jewelry, shopping can be tricky in the Caribbean. As far as cameras or other electronic gear the shops in St Thomas really can't beat the prices available on the internet.

Their are two products that are hard to beat in St Thomas, liquor and tobacco. Linens used to be great buys but not so much anymore. As for camera prices in St Thomas you won't get ripped off if you stick with the two main dealers but you can often do better with a simple google search.

Thanks for the tip. My husband wants to spend time in a camera shop he found last year on our way to the ferry dock. Other than that, we're probably not interested in shopping. We would, however, like tips on historic sites, interesting architecture, or beautiful places. We've used Cruise Critic for a long time to help us plan our cruise ports. Lots of good advice here. Anybody have any tips for us?

GG

Lot's of interesting history and architecture in CA. i suggest picking up a copy of Franko's guide map of the USVI. They sell it at several shops in Havensite. It lists most of the points of interest and historic spots. I don't think you can really see them with a taxi tour. IMO you would be better off getting a cab into CA and planning your own walking tour of CA.

There are several places that you'll have to take a cab to see. Most notably Drake's Seat by Megan's Bay and Smith Bay (called Lindquist by the locals). St Peter's Great House over by Hull Bay is a great place to spend an hour or two but you'll need a car or taxi to get there.

As far as beautiful places just pick any beach. Some are better than others but they are all great. Paradise Point Tram is right across the street from Havensight. I've never been up there but the views are pretty nice from the photo's I've seen.

One more note. If your husband likes to take pictures be careful of the local residents. Some of them really don't like their picture taken. If you ask them to move or ask if they don't mind being in the picture they are usually gracious and accommodating. If you snap away without thinking like I once did at Emancipation Gardens you'll like find yourself being chastised in a most abrupt manner.

Have a great time!

Jim Freeman

Archived