Leaving New York(Manhatten) on a cruise. Which side of the ship to book?

BRC

What side of the Carnival Miracle cruise ship should I book my families balcony room to ensure we are facing the statue of Liberty and the manhatten skyline on the way out of port?

When you sail out of NY, Manhattan will be on the port side of the ship and the Statue of Liberty will be on the starboard side. Coming back it will be reversed, so the answer is that it really doesn't matter you'll have a chance to see what you want at some point no matter what side you're on.

Best views for sail a way will be up on the top decks IMO.

They are on opposite sides.

However, you don't want to be in your cabin for sailaway. You want to be up top for all the panoramic views, capped by the squeeze underneath the VNB.

And regarding sides of the ship, what you don't see coming, you will see going, so it really doesn't matter, even in the ports. And even there, you are not guaranteed what side the ship docks.

Actually, Pete, I'll respectfully disagree on "you won't want to be in your cabin for sailaway". DH and I love it and that is the highlight of sail away for us. We love sitting on the balcony (with espresso and cake from the coffee bar) and relaxing and enjoying the view and the beginning of the cruise.

JMHO though.....all depends on what experience you are looking for!

Actually, Pete, I'll respectfully disagree on "you won't want to be in your cabin for sailaway". DH and I love it and that is the highlight of sail away for us. We love sitting on the balcony (with espresso and cake from the coffee bar) and relaxing and enjoying the view and the beginning of the cruise.

JMHO though.....all depends on what experience you are looking for!

So now I'm curious......do you pick NY or NJ side?

Always same cabin - Starboard.

I know...totally OCD of me. Each class of vessel, only will take the same cabin or will switch weeks to get it. :eek: My PVP laughs about it all the time.

Also, it's sort of tradition, when we leave - we call my parents while passing the Statue - and when my parents leave, they do the same. It started as a joke years ago, and now cruising just wouldn't be the same without that call....

Besides, hard to see the "new" NYC skyline for me....so, personally, I'd rather see NJ and then be 1/2 asleep on the way back in.

In July we were on port side, my wife and enjoyed sailing past Manhattan with a bottle of champagne on our balcony. After we passed Manhattan we went upstairs and watched as we sailed past the Statue of Liberty and then under the VNB. Coming back I sat on the balcony and got a terrific view of Lady Liberty.

385377384_CCPic.jpg.8bb66c09a1b6d7aae2f7eda59daa72a2.jpg

My own favorite was "neither" - it was the aft wrap balcony we had on Victory last year!:D (Okay, it was actually the port side, but we loved sailaway overlooking the stern.)

We were aft on the Pride and the Legend (wrap as well).

I like that location on the way back in.

350471644KNtZIn_th.jpg

click to enlarge

PS....we'll be up your way starting Monday for a week!

We were aft on the Pride and the Legend (wrap as well).

I like that location on the way back in.

350471644KNtZIn_th.jpg

click to enlarge

PS....we'll be up your way starting Monday for a week!

Is that Zenith in your photo? Nice to see her in her original garb!

Thought you might be on your way up here this week - pack a jacket, it's getting cool at night. However, the weather's supposed to be nice.

Take one going and one coming..

Both beautiful.

I have some great aft shots from the distance sailing away from NY / NJ , looking back NJ on the left and NY on the right with the wake right in the middle.

Awesome views.

So now I'm curious......do you pick NY or NJ side?

Cast another vote for aft wrap/balconies.. You get the panoramic view with the wake..

Can anybody say coctails on the veranda..;)

Bulldog

Any opinions on aft balcony wrap room #'s I should book from anyone?

Archived