Wheelchair at ports

maxydu

I usually utilize a cane and leg brace but with all the distances involved, I'll probably bring my wheelchair on the cruise as well. Does anyone know if Carnival will allow me to leave my chair at the exit area when getting off the ship onto tenders or different ports? Also, I have never flown with my chair. I take it they put it luggage area after I board and bring it to the gateway when we land? Thanks!

I usually utilize a cane and leg brace but with all the distances involved, I'll probably bring my wheelchair on the cruise as well. Does anyone know if Carnival will allow me to leave my chair at the exit area when getting off the ship onto tenders or different ports? Also, I have never flown with my chair. I take it they put it luggage area after I board and bring it to the gateway when we land? Thanks!

Carnival will allow you to leave your wheelchair at the exit area -- but be sure to securely attach your name/cabin number to it. They'll generally move it somewhere, and bring it back when you return to the ship.

As for flying -- basically yes, they'll put it in the luggage area, and bring it to the gateway..

but you have to tell them that you want it "gate checked" in order for that to happen. They'll put a tag on it, and stow it. Then about 30 minutes before you land, you need to remind the flight attendant that your chair has been "gate checked" and you'll need it up on landing. The attendant will call ahead and make sure that the baggage handlers retrieve it quickly, and get it up to the door of the plane for you.

Be sure to take off any easily removeable parts, like your footrests, seat cushion, anything else. I usually carry a canvas bag, stow all that in the bag and keep the bag with me in the plane (it will fit in the overhead bin.) This stuff is easly breakable or lose-able, and you don't want either to happen when you're on vacation!

If there is room in the passenger area of the plane, by the way -- they may be willing and able to stow your chair right there, in the closet or elsewehre, so be sure to ask for that first.

For flying, if you are the first person on a flight to request it you can get your chair stored in the CABIN in the closet or Rear row of seats depending on the plane assuming the chair folds.

I usually do this since I have watched the baggage handlers let my chair come down the off load ramp and fall to the ground at their feet, while they stood there watching it do so.

Often when you ask to cabin check it they will say they don't normally do that, to which I say you are required by law to "Do that" usually ends the problem.

If you don't know your rights they WILL try to push you around. No need, usually, to get nasty just firm. If you really run into any issue with flying ask for the CRO immediately.

For flying, if you are the first person on a flight to request it you can get your chair stored in the CABIN in the closet or Rear row of seats depending on the plane assuming the chair folds.

quote]

Where do you make this request?

When you are getting the gate check tag, or at the gate or when boarding the plane?

Do they do this for ultra-light travelscooters? Mine folds up like a stroller and weighs 35 pounds.

Thanks,

Marlee

We have flown several times since DH has been in his wheel chair. It is very easy.

• Use the chair to go to the gate. If you can stand to go through security that's the thing to do, but since DH cannot, they push him through and use a wand to scan him.
  • As soon as you get to the gate tell the agent you want to gate check the chair. They will put a "luggage tag" on the chair. But also make sure you have an ID of your own securely on the chair.
  • You will be boarded first. An agent always helps from the time we head down the jetway. DH can use the backs of seats to walk down the aisle, so the chair is taken at the door and put in the hold.
  • We've never had to remind flight attendants about the chair. We simply wait until other passengers have gotten off, and the chair has always been waiting for us, and an agent has helped until we are in the terminal when I take over again.

quote]

Where do you make this request?

When you are getting the gate check tag, or at the gate or when boarding the plane?

Do they do this for ultra-light travelscooters? Mine folds up like a stroller and weighs 35 pounds.

Thanks,

Marlee

Once I arrive at the gate, or more accurately once a gate agent arrives at the gate I go up to the desk and tell them I want to cabin check my chair. At which point they usually tell me they will gate check it and it will be brought up, to which I reply, "No you don't understand I want to CABIN check it" they then say we don't usually do that, and I say you are required by law to do that as long as you don't already have someone elses chair in that closet. At which point they tell me they will notify the flight crew.

Now normally once I arrive at the door to the plane I have to explain again to the crew that I am cabin checking the chair. It often means they have to rearrange their own bags that are stored in the closet. which is why it is good if they DO notify them from the gate before I get there.

Anyway though it sounds like a big hassle usually it is not, but you must continue to be persistant.

If you do plan to GATE check the chair not cabin check it then I strongly advise you to take a WC cover with you and put it on the chair before they take it at the plane door.

and No they will not cabin check a scooter of any kind only a folding WC. If you found someone willing to check the folding scooter it would be a pure exception certainly not the usual case.

Archived