Wine and the Internet

festus

I have heard mention of a 'wine card' that you can purchase on HAL..........can anyone provide info?

Also what are the charges for using the Internet cafe? Can one purchase a block of time?

Thanks ahead!!!

Wine cards are $41.40 for 10 glasses, $77.63 for 20 glasses, including the 15% service charges. Good for house wines anywhere on the ship: Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, White Zinfandel, "sparkling". Purchase in any bar or dining room (not sure about in Pinnacle Grill) or HAL site Onboard Gifts, or by calling Ship Services at 800-541-1576. Can be "shared". Did I miss anything?

To set up an Internet account there's a one-time charge of $3.95, then

$0.75 per minute, or

100 minutes for $55. , or

250 minutes for $100.

You will also likely come across some internet "specials" at different times during the cruise...

If you buy a certain amount of minutes, get bonus time etc...

Also, if you have problems with the connections, be sure to bring it up with the computer staff as they have the ability to re-credit the time...

:D:D:D

On some ships/itineraries on embarkation day they may have an offer of 10 free minutes when you buy the 100 minute package. And 20 free minutes if you buy the 250 minute package. Ask the internet manager on embarkation day about this.

We have not had too many specials offered during a cruise. A couple that were offered were during dinner - if you eat early -- like from 5:30 - 6:30 only.

Fees:

$3.95 one time activation fee.

Plan 1 -- $0.75 per minute.

Plan 2 -- 100 minutes for $55

Plan 3 -- 250 minutes for $100

On some cruises/ships -- on plan 1 you can may get 10 free minutes on embarkation day. On Plan 2 you may get 20 extra free minutes. Ask your internet manager about this.

Look in the program for specials during your cruise -- sometimes they have them.

There are lots of hot spots around the ship.

I purchased my wine card at the Crow's Nest bar first night, no problem. The only place they were not instantly familiar with it was our first night in the Pinnacle Grill. I'm afraid the wine steward looked a little shocked. Nonetheless, i persevered with a smile on my face and asked for a glass of red, which was quickly delivered, though they had to get it from "another bar". Our next PG night the same wine steward greeted us and said "Hello Wine Card Lady, another glass of red?" so all was forgiven. ;)

I purchased my wine card at the Crow's Nest bar first night, no problem. The only place they were not instantly familiar with it was our first night in the Pinnacle Grill. I'm afraid the wine steward looked a little shocked. Nonetheless, i persevered with a smile on my face and asked for a glass of red, which was quickly delivered, though they had to get it from "another bar". Our next PG night the same wine steward greeted us and said "Hello Wine Card Lady, another glass of red?" so all was forgiven. ;)

Oringially the wine cards were not excepted in the Pinnacle Grill.

But as the years have passed -- slowly they are being accepted.

JMO -- the Pinnacle is one place I would not use our wine card as we consider this an upscale restaurant like at home -- and we prefer to buy either a glass of their wine or a bottle.

We have found that the wifi differs on location on the ship as well as the ship you will be on. We now take our laptop with us and on the upper floors of the Eurodam and Westerdam the reception in the rooms was fine but there are some who had some reception issues. I usually log on to the HAL site from my room to see how quickly it loads - have found it to be a pretty accurate as to how good my room reception is. I found the computer lab pretty busy most of the time and am not patient about waiting - hence lugging the laptop. Last time we were on the ship for 28 days so we used the internet quite often and although the speed is a bit sluggish - it was not bad.

Archived