Has anyone ever gotten a Cabin Upgrade in Europe?

uromac

Hi!
Question of the day: Has anybody ever requested a cabin upgrade at the port of embarkation? If so, what was the cost, how difficult was it to obtain and how did you do it, were you a frequent cruiser &/or captain's club member, etc.? We are going to be on the Galaxy 7/2/04f from Civitavecchia in a family ocean view cabin and were wondering how it will be for 10 days even though it is a larger cabin. Las year we were in a Royal Suite which was lovely, and the year before a Family Ocean view cabin on the Millennium, so we have experienced both types. I do not feel we are going to feel claustrophobic but one never knows.

Please understand we are happy with the size and cost of our trip currently, but you can always dream can't you?

Thanks,

Melissa [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

First of all, availability depends on, well, availability. And European cruises are fairly heavily booked for 2004. That said, when I have tried upgrading at embarkation I have consistently been told I could do so by paying the difference in brochure price. I have had better luck upgrading a few days prior to embarkation. If there are unbooked suites left, you can often make a deal through your TA at the last minute. (I'm talking here specifically about upgrading to suites, since that seems to be your question.) If you are talking about a free suite upgrade, I doubt those are available.

I don't know if it holds for all cruise lines but DO NOT select a cabin on X thinking you will get an upgrade, paid for or free. I got my first upgrade after 8 cruise and was delighted. But as with all things seldom do you get what you are not entitled to.

I am very grateful for the upgrade I got and if I never get another I will still be delighted to cruise X.

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04
Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

Hi-just back today from Galaxy.Wonderful ship!!!!We had cat 2 booked.Inquired at the pier about upgrade to cat 1 suite and was quoted total of 700 dollars for the cabin.We declined and were very happy with the cat 2.Does not matter if you are cc members.Just get to pier early and ask about upgrading as soon as you register to board.enjoy!

ppppqqqq

Last year, on the Millennium cruising through the Med, our good friends upgraded from a sky suite to a royal suite for about $1000 as I recall.

I think Danno has good advice though!! Book the room you know you'll be happy with.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. Right now on the Galaxy we have a FO aft 8234 (cat.3) on the Panorama Deck and we debating to change that to 2 rooms 8134 (inside 10) and 8140 (cat.5). What is everyone's opinion on this change? The rooms are diagonal from each other and seeing that we have 2 kids ages 15 and 11 (boy and girl) it might be better to have the extra space. If all things work out price wise I figure it will be $100 more approximately to change cabins and go from 210sqft. to 172sqftx2 inside and outside cabins with sitting area in the midship area.

So we are looking forward to everyones opinions.

Thanks again!

Melissa [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hi Meilisa

I would go for the two cabins. Two bathrooms would be worth the extra $$ IMHO.
Have a great time whatever you decide.

Stefanie

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;08;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Cruise on the pride

Hi Melissa !

If the whole deal will cost you 100.00 more, then by all means, go with the 2 cabins. You wont feel like sardines (being in 1 cabin), and it is worth it just to have the 2 bathrooms.

No matter which way you go, you will have a wonderful time !

Regards,
Andy

Days Until Celebrity Summit 4/30/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;4;30;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]

Days Since Celebrity Millennium 11/30/03
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;11;30;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Archived