Price of Internet on the ships? Do they have pre-paid plans? Going without a laptop..

Microsoft recently moved Windows XP from Mainstream Support to its Extended Support which means it will continue to provide security updates every month for Windows XP through April 8, 2014. Only free technical support, warranty claims and design changes are no longer being offered. So Windows XP-lovers have no real worries for the current generation of computers.

Another good option is Microsoft Windows 7. This stable new OS runs on my netbook (and a few of my desktops) just as well as XP, is not as resource intensive as Vista and is really what the next generation of Windows should have been from the beginning.

As for warranties, my suggestion is to treat a netbook as a disposable commodity and not a computer asset. At ~$300 each, I agree you should "self-insure" and not bother with an extended warranty. Make sure all settings and data are always backed up, buy a new one if and when if fails, and then restore any settings and data.

Thanks Terp. Much appreciated info and advice.

I'm looking closely at the various Acer AO751h models. Has an 11.6" screen. They're sold by Target, CompUSA, Walmart, Staples, and OfficeMax. Want to buy local so I can return it quickly if there's a problem.

The price is ~ USD $350, but I've seen several different configurations:

* The 6 cell battery models tend to come with XP, 1G of RAM and a 160G hard drive; I like and use XP, but I've heard XP support is soon to be dropped (November?). If that means no more security patches from Microsoft, then that means no more XP for me.

* The 3 cell battery models tend to come with Vista, double the RAM (2G) and a much larger hard drive (250G).

My question: what's the better deal if I ultimately want 2G of RAM *and* a 6 cell battery? Couldn't be easier to install RAM myself. But would it be more expensive to upgrade it to 2G of RAM or more expensive to purchase a separate 6 cell battery? The advantage of purchasing the 6 cell battery separately would be having two batteries.

I like the larger keyboard of the 11.6" Acer versus the 10" models I've seen.

Also, are extended warranties for the Acer not worth the paper they're written on? Is the 1 year warranty offered by the manufacturer good enough? I tend to like to "self insure" most purchases except for high-end laptops and large LCD TVs (because if the screen goes, it goes to the dump--or could be run as a "headless" server in the case of a laptop with a dead screen; or could be RDP'ed into).

The only downside of the Acer seems to be that people have had trouble installing Linux (poor driver support). Maybe that's the case with most NetBooks? Not a huge deal to me now, but it may be later as Microsoft operating systems get more resource-intensive over time.

Watch which version of the Atom chip is used in the Acer models. The 11.6" usually comes with the 1.33 Ghz CPU, where as the others have the 1.60 or 1.66 CPU. Probbably not a big deal if you are just reading email, but it could be a problem with video steaming/playback.

As for Vista/XP: If you get something with XP, you will have support till 2014. By then the computer will be pretty obsolite anyways. Vista will be noticably slower, however most Vista systems will include a free upgrade to windows 7.0 when it is released. XP will NOT include a free upgrade, you will have to buy the upgrade.

If you are not in a real hurry, windows 7.0 should be released in late October. I'm sure there will be lots of deals on netbooks & other systems when it's released. That's what I'm waiting for ;)

Watch which version of the Atom chip is used in the Acer models. The 11.6" usually comes with the 1.33 Ghz CPU, where as the others have the 1.60 or 1.66 CPU. Probbably not a big deal if you are just reading email, but it could be a problem with video steaming/playback.

As for Vista/XP: If you get something with XP, you will have support till 2014. By then the computer will be pretty obsolite anyways. Vista will be noticably slower, however most Vista systems will include a free upgrade to windows 7.0 when it is released. XP will NOT include a free upgrade, you will have to buy the upgrade.

If you are not in a real hurry, windows 7.0 should be released in late October. I'm sure there will be lots of deals on netbooks & other systems when it's released. That's what I'm waiting for ;)

Thanks nutso. Good information. Unfortunately, my wife and I are in a hurry--our cruises departs in late September. The free upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 would be nice. Didn't notice the difference in processor speed between the ACERs--thanks for pointing that out.

Played around with a few more models yesterday--decided the 10.1" screen is sufficient if the keys are "near normal size." Tried an 8.9" laptop at Best Buy with teensy-tiny keys. I had a hell of a time trying to type on it as did my wife; so that's absolutely out. Must be good for young kids though.

And I'm going to "self insure"--thanks Terp. I was on the fence with that one. Will make it a lot easier to buy a netbook when I don't have to figure in an overinflated 2 yr service plan ($60 at Best Buy and over $80 at CompUSA).

What no one has been able to tell me: how much a spare 6 cell battery would cost for the ACERs and the ASUS netbooks. Quite a while ago, I bought an extended battery for my Dell Inspiron 6000--this is a laptop about 5 years old and still meets my needs for home use. Only has ~1.2 G of RAM with a Pentium M 1.6 gHz, single processor core. Wonder if the Atom 1.6 chip is as fast as the Pentium M. Don't know if spec rates (http://www.spec.org) are published for consumer-grade systems. Probably not. "Spec rates" are used to compare the relative performance of differently configured servers, taking into account things like OS version, ram, speed and number of processor cores, etc. Quite nice for system architecture design.

Anyway, I believe it was nearly $100 for the extra battery; but the benefit was that I now had *two* batteries. So, perhaps the 3 cell models will be fine--and if I later decided that's insufficient, I can purchase a spare battery and then have the equivalent of a 9 cell battery. We'll be able to recharge in-cabin, and so we should be ok for this trip--unless we want to work in-flight.

A RAM upgrade for the netbooks, according to the Best Buy guy, should only run between $30-$40 doing it myself (self-upgrading ram is a no-brainer for most people). But he tried to give me some crap about violating the warranty if I opened up the laptop. To put *memory* in? Sounds like utter B.S. to me.

Get a netbook. We take long cruises and do 3-5 days pre and post cruise and there are many free wi fi spots. Netbook is cheap and light (I can easily carry it in my purse).

How do you find the free WiFi spots onboard? Thanks!

How do you find the free WiFi spots onboard? Thanks!
There are no free wifi spots onboard the ship. That post refers to taking your own computer and finding free wifi spots ashore when in port or pre/post cruise.
If I go with a NetBook having only a 3 cell battery, are there power outlets near the WiFi hotspots? We'll be on the Navigator of the Seas, a Voyager-class ship. Never thought about power outlets for passenger use in public ship areas until now.
There are standard AC outlets all over the ship and some very near the wifi access points. As for your earlier question regarding 3 versus 6-cell battery, I know that most of the netbooks have excellent runtimes with their 3-cell batteries and for me personally, the 3-cell is more than sufficient. Some of the Asus netbooks with 3-cell batteries have been tested with 4-5 hours of runtime! My Dell Mini 10v has the 6-cell battery and I regret the cost and weight. Who really needs 7-8 hrs of runtime?

There are standard AC outlets all over the ship and some very near the wifi access points. As for your earlier question regarding 3 versus 6-cell battery, I know that most of the netbooks have excellent runtimes with their 3-cell batteries and for me personally, the 3-cell is more than sufficient. Some of the Asus netbooks with 3-cell batteries have been tested with 4-5 hours of runtime! My Dell Mini 10v has the 6-cell battery and I regret the cost and weight. Who really needs 7-8 hrs of runtime?

Thanks again Terp. Puts things in perspective. With my 15.4 " Inspiron, I use an aggressive power-saving profile when I'm away from outlets. Screen brightness and DVD/CD access seem to be the largest power draws.

Looks like a 10.1" 3 cell netbook will best meet my needs. Now it's time to find a good local vendor. Anyone had better luck purchasing a netbook from Staples or OfficeMax? Didn't know if there was any difference as far as ease of return in case there's a problem--and I don't mean extended warranty (not worth it).

One last thing--on a review of an Acer Aspire AOD250, someone, somewhere, said something about cheaply upgrading from 1G ram to 8G. To the best of my knowledge, both the Acer 10.1" and 11.6" models max-out at a 2G ram upgrade. Wonder what the person meant by 8G when clearly that seems impossible for a netbook.

For anyone interested, I'm seeing prices between $80 and $130 for additional batteries for the Acer Aspire One and the ASUS eee pc netbook. Seen one as low as $60, but that's for a 3 cell. Just passing this along. Haven't seen RAM prices yet.

On newegg.com I saw RAM for my new netbook at $27-32 for a 2g stick

My new one is very fast so for now I am not going to add the RAM.

What kind do you have??? I was out shopping for one this morning. Need something to bring on the Brilliance Med. I know the used to have a cyber cabin flat rate, do they have something like that anymore.

Where were you able to connect, sitting by the computers? by the pool?

Mine is a Asus EEE PC. It runs on Linux which takes up less memory than Windows, but you can get netbooks that run windows, too.

All of the software is open source. It has Firefox as a browser. I use Firefox on my home PC. It uses Open Office for word processing, spreadsheets, etc. It is fully compatible with Microsoft Word. I have Open Office on my home PC, too. It also has Mozilla Thunderbird as an email and newsreader program, though my email is internet based so it's not a problem getting it anywhere.

It has a built-in card reader and picture tweaking program, a built-in web cam and preloaded Skype (I've not used them. Satellite internet on cruise ships has too much lag time)

When I went to Europe last year, I kept a daily diary. We were gone about 7 weeks. When I got home I transferred it from the netbook to my PC and got everything into the format I wanted.

You can probably score a used one on E-bay for under $200 if you watch for it. Mine is the 4G and it is plenty of space for my word processing and communication needs.

;)

This link below says Vista Home Basic does not qualify for the free Windows 7 upgrade, at least for the Acer netbooks:

http://www.acer.com/windows7upgrade/

Same is true for ASUS netbooks evidently. Must buy a computer with Vista Business or Premium:

http://event.asus.com/2009/windows7/

So I guess most people with Vista Home on a netbook are SOL for the upgrade.

The first time they find it you will spend twice as long in line as you would if you just put it through the xray on its own. Then you hold up the entire line for trying to sneak it through.

I NEVER sneak it through. If they ask, I take it out. If they don't ask, I don't.

I travel with a disabled spouse who can't go through the electronic screenings and needs a wheel chair in the airport. I have to get through security the usual way, gathering all of my stuff AND his stuff while they are patting him down. He travels with a bag that is ALWAYS searched because it has a "blue ice" in it to keep his medication cold. It does not go through X-rays without a check. He also has an extra bag with a breathing device that I often have to show paperwork for.

I have enough to do and hold up the line too long as it is without volunteering to schlepp out a netbook, too.

The next time you want to be nasty, think before you type. There may be mitigating circumstances.

Mine is a Asus EEE PC. It runs on Linux which takes up less memory than Windows, but you can get netbooks that run windows, too.

All of the software is open source. It has Firefox as a browser. I use Firefox on my home PC. It uses Open Office for word processing, spreadsheets, etc. It is fully compatible with Microsoft Word. I have Open Office on my home PC, too. It also has Mozilla Thunderbird as an email and newsreader program, though my email is internet based so it's not a problem getting it anywhere.

I don't want to buy used, but wish local stores sold netbooks with Linux; would probably shave USD $100 off the price. I'm going to run Firefox and Open Office on it anyway.

There are no free wifi spots onboard the ship. That post refers to taking your own computer and finding free wifi spots ashore when in port or pre/post cruise.

On Voyager there are several AC outlets in the library you can use, but with the Asus netbook I have (the one with the little battery) I have never needed to plug it in. I just get email and maybe check a few other things.

This link below says Vista Home Basic does not qualify for the free Windows 7 upgrade, at least for the Acer netbooks:

Same is true for ASUS netbooks evidently. Must buy a computer with Vista Business or Premium:

I don't think I've ever seen a netbook with Vista. It uses up too much memory. Those that come with a Windows OS are using a version of XP which takes up a lot less memory.

I'm content to use mine with Linux. It's super-fast without all the Windows junk. JMHO

I NEVER sneak it through. If they ask, I take it out. If they don't ask, I don't.

I travel with a disabled spouse who can't go through the electronic screenings and needs a wheel chair in the airport. I have to get through security the usual way, gathering all of my stuff AND his stuff while they are patting him down. He travels with a bag that is ALWAYS searched because it has a "blue ice" in it to keep his medication cold. It does not go through X-rays without a check. He also has an extra bag with a breathing device that I often have to show paperwork for.

I have enough to do and hold up the line too long as it is without volunteering to schlepp out a netbook, too.

The next time you want to be nasty, think before you type. There may be mitigating circumstances.

You may want to look at getting one of the new TSA approved laptop bags. With them you don't have to take your machine out ever.

I don't want to buy used, but wish local stores sold netbooks with Linux; would probably shave USD $100 off the price. I'm going to run Firefox and Open Office on it anyway.

I bought mine used on E-bay. It was no problem to wipe off anything on it. The booklet that comes with it is very helpful for non-Linux users and there are Asus and Linux forums on the Internet to answer any questions you may have.

On newegg.com I saw RAM for my new netbook at $27-32 for a 2g stick

My new one is very fast so for now I am not going to add the RAM.

]If you want my opinion on RAM, most netbooks are so performance-constrained by their combination of slow/sluggish CPU, hard disk and graphics that you will not get much (if any) value from additional RAM so 1G RAM should be sufficient. As most people use a netbook solely for word processing, web browsing and such, and almost always one at a time (i.e. no multi-tasking), I just don't think upgrading the RAM is worthwhile. Again, I treat the netbook as a cheap, light and small disposable commodity dedicated to lightweight, single-tasking uses. Put another way, if you truly need to upgrade the netbook's RAM to 2GB or more, then you should seriously consider using a true notebook instead.

I don't think I've ever seen a netbook with Vista. It uses up too much memory. Those that come with a Windows OS are using a version of XP which takes up a lot less memory.

I'm content to use mine with Linux. It's super-fast without all the Windows junk. JMHO

As for a netbook OS, running Linux would be ideal only but only if you don't need to run many native Windows apps. If Windows is a must, then I like Windows 7 over Vista because it seems to be less demanding of resources. Of course if you don't want to spend the extra bucks, I think the OEM Windows XP is good enough. And FWIW, if you do get stuck with Vista and can't "downgrade" to WinXP, Vista wasn't that bad on my netbook for the time I ran it.

Anyhow, it all depends on what applications you need the netbook to run.

I checked out all the TSA-friendly bags. None of the ones I saw could hold all I need to travel with as the bag that carries my netbook is also a "purse" that holds travel documents, ipod, Nintento DS (in it's fat case with all the extra games), a paperback and the slim but necessary looseleaf notebook that has all my travel notes and information in it.

The netbook and its booklet, mini legal pad, AC cord and mouse are in its own case that I made. I can whip out the case and open it up to show the netbook, it's just that I am so busy with his stuff and my stuff and his shoes and my shoes (neither of us can travel in flip flops), etc., that not having to open an extra bag is a plus. As long as they don't ask, I don't tell. If they ask, I take it out.

• 4 weeks later...

We purchased a 60 minute plan on the Navigator of the Seas for $28 (if I recall correctly). The 90 minute plan, I believe, was $38. Should have purchased the 90 min plan as the Internet was a bit slow; but our NetBook itself was a bit slow, so hard to say for sure if we can blame the ship's WiFi.

There was no WiFi in our cabin--only at selected hot spots (about 5) throughout the ship. Guest Services, I believe, told us that there used to be WiFi in the cabins and/or ethernet cable plug-ins. If I were of a conspiratorial mindset, I'd say that change occurred because if you can only use WiFi largely in bars, then you're more likely to spend money on drinks. Of course when you sit in a bar to do WiFi, you're always accosted by staff asking for your drink order. But a polite "No thanks, just using WiFi" works fine.

A few places I remember being hot spots:

* Cafe Promenade

* The Cosmopolitan and 19th Hole bars (the two bars on Deck 14)

* Schooner Bar

* Pool side (either the Solarium only or the whole pool area; we never used it there)

Guest Services will give you a list of WiFi hot spots on request.

I do *not* recommend purchasing a NetBook with Vista. We got an Aspire One with full-size keyboard, 11.6" screen, and 2G of RAM. It's slow as molasses. People who tell you that you'll get a free upgrade to Windows 7 if you buy a NetBook with Vista are most probably wrong--to get a free upgrade, you need something higher than Vista Home (the version of Vista most often shipped with NetBooks).

If I had to do it over again, I would have purchased a NetBook with XP.

One other thing--in our Gold member Crown and Anchor booklet, one of the few things left of any value is the $5 Internet credit. Between me and my wife, that was $10 of Internet credit. But you have to use that credit first at the regular per-minute rate; you cannot, unfortunately, apply the $10 credit toward a pre-paid plan.

Completely unhappy with the gold member C&A booklet. They removed the Johnny Rockets meal coupons and replaced that with a "2 for 1 milkshakes" coupon. Note to self: don't bother ever trying to become Diamond. Seems as soon as you reach a higher status, they've in the mean time reduced whatever benefits used to be offered. No worries though, as I had $400 of OBC from combinable stuff that can no longer be combined. I see these RCL loyalty programs now as promoting disloyalty due to the reduction in benefits.

Archived