Price of Internet on the ships? Do they have pre-paid plans? Going without a laptop..

Ok, I know the Internet connections are slow as molasses on the ships. But my wife is doing some online coursework and--as much as we hate it--she may have to log in and get some work done on sea days. There are no "rich media" video / audio lectures to contend with--just forums and articles to read and essays / posts to submit.

We absolutely, positively do not want to bring a laptop; we're doing a 2 day pre-cruise and a 5 day post-cruise tour on our own--so everything we bring with us we must lug on buses, trains, etc. A laptop is too much weight (assuming it's probably cheaper to bring a laptop and pay for in-cabin Internet, but that's not a tradeoff we want to make).

What are the options and are there any good tricks / strategies to know? We do have smart phones; don't know if she could purchase a folding keyboard for her phone and type-up some work, then upload that to computers in the Internet cafe. Are those PCs completely locked down? e.g. can you insert SD cards into them or can you use bluetooth with them?

We'll be on the Navigator of the Seas, a voyager-class ship. Don't know if that makes a lick of difference, but thought I'd mention that in case it does.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

They do have package rates available on the ships. We used the middle plan at 38 cents per minute. There is a cheaper one per minute available, but I don't recall the price.

We didn't have too much trouble with speed on our cruise. It wasn't as fast as home or as slow as on campus.

The cost is $.55 / per minute, plans are available at

$28 for 60 minutes

$38 for 90 minutes

$55 for 150 minutes.

The price is the same if you use their computer or your laptop.

However you´ll be online all the time while reading and typing.

You will have absolutely no hardware access to their computers, no SD, no USB, no disks, no Bluetooth... nothing.

THose machines do not even have a text processing software, so no typing offline and then copy and paste.

Of course no downloading of anything either.

Not bringing your laptop will get you some serious internet costs.

I agree with the poster who said to get a netbook. They are available for as little as $200 if you look carefully. I travel with mine and it's been fantastic. My air travel "purse" is a fancy diaper bag. The netbook fits in it's little sleeve perfectly with room to spare. Mine weighs about 2.5 pounds. If the airport security doesn't ask, I don't volunteer that I have a computer. When they X-ray the purse they think it's a DVD player because of the size. Much speedier getting through security. I did get a little mouse as the tiny touch pad was a problem.

I've used my netbook on Voyager of the Seas twice and in European and American hotels. No problems.

Just wonder if I would purchase the $28-60min plan do I have to use it all at once or can I space it out throughout the trip?

You can use it throughout the trip until they close the accounts sometime the last night. You can´t use it the last morning (debarkation day) anymore. It´s non-refundable.

I agree with the poster who said to get a netbook. They are available for as little as $200 if you look carefully. I travel with mine and it's been fantastic. My air travel "purse" is a fancy diaper bag. The netbook fits in it's little sleeve perfectly with room to spare. Mine weighs about 2.5 pounds. If the airport security doesn't ask, I don't volunteer that I have a computer. When they X-ray the purse they think it's a DVD player because of the size. Much speedier getting through security. I did get a little mouse as the tiny touch pad was a problem.

I've used my netbook on Voyager of the Seas twice and in European and American hotels. No problems.

Another Netbook owner here:)

What kind do you have??? I was out shopping for one this morning. Need something to bring on the Brilliance Med. I know the used to have a cyber cabin flat rate, do they have something like that anymore.

Where were you able to connect, sitting by the computers? by the pool?

Ok, I know the Internet connections are slow as molasses on the ships. But my wife is doing some online coursework and--as much as we hate it--she may have to log in and get some work done on sea days. There are no "rich media" video / audio lectures to contend with--just forums and articles to read and essays / posts to submit.

We absolutely, positively do not want to bring a laptop; we're doing a 2 day pre-cruise and a 5 day post-cruise tour on our own--so everything we bring with us we must lug on buses, trains, etc. A laptop is too much weight (assuming it's probably cheaper to bring a laptop and pay for in-cabin Internet, but that's not a tradeoff we want to make).

What are the options and are there any good tricks / strategies to know? We do have smart phones; don't know if she could purchase a folding keyboard for her phone and type-up some work, then upload that to computers in the Internet cafe. Are those PCs completely locked down? e.g. can you insert SD cards into them or can you use bluetooth with them?

We'll be on the Navigator of the Seas, a voyager-class ship. Don't know if that makes a lick of difference, but thought I'd mention that in case it does.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Doing online coursework as you describe using the ship's computers will consume enormous amounts of internet time and you will likely spend hundreds of dollars for the privilege. And, as others have already pointed out, you don't any way to interact with the cruiseline's computers so you'd be composing posts and essays all while the clock is running and your money is being depleted. Using a smartphone is an option, but you'd better have a darn good mobile browser, an affordable unlimited data plan AND access from whereever you are sailing. This was a workable option during our recent Mediterranean cruise where I had voice/data access using my GSM-enabled Blackberry for approximately 85% of our trip, but not so good say in the Caribbean where you'd probably have access or service for less than 10% of your trip. As for me, I can compose or write short messages or documents using my phone but it is a real hassle to do more than a paragraph or two. Much better to have and to use a notebook or netbook computer. And the mini, foldable keyboards are still not that functional and, for the additional weight, you might as well bring a 2 lb netbook.

So unless you are made of money, you should prioritize bringing a notebook or netbook computer so she can do most of her work offline -- something you can't do with ship's computers. So I would leave 3-4 pounds worth of non-essentials such as books, clothes, shoes or toiletries, and make that notebook or netbook computer your top priority! And make sure she knows how to browse the internet, compose/write and manage email mostly offline. If needed, you can check out my blog for more details on how to do this. :)

What kind do you have??? I was out shopping for one this morning. Need something to bring on the Brilliance Med. I know the used to have a cyber cabin flat rate, do they have something like that anymore.

Where were you able to connect, sitting my the computers? by the pool?

Hi Sue,

it wouldn´t do you any good if I´d post you the brand of my netbook, as it´s a local noname brand purchased at a discount store. However they always get good ratings in tests.

So I rather give you some details:

10" screen

1.6GHz Intel processor

160GB Harddiskdrive

Integrated Multicard reader, WLAN, webcam, Microphone, Speakers, USB 2.0

it came with Windows XP and weighs about 6 pounds

The one thing I read you should pay attention to is to buy one with a 6 cell battery pack vs. only 3 cell battery pack.

CyberCabin unfortunately is a thing of the past. WiFi is only available at HotSpots on Brilliance. Not sure if it will work at the Pool. Connecting with WiFi is no problem though at the Hotspots.

I really like the little netbook.

Hi Sue,

it wouldn´t do you any good if I´d post you the brand of my netbook, as it´s a local noname brand purchased at a discount store. However they always get good ratings in tests.

So I rather give you some details:

10" screen

1.6GHz Intel processor

160GB Harddiskdrive

Integrated Multicard reader, WLAN, webcam, Microphone, Speakers, USB 2.0

The one thing I read you should pay attention to is to buy one with a 6 cell battery pack vs. only 3 cell battery pack.

CyberCabin unfortunately is a thing of the past. WiFi is only available at HotSpots on Brilliance. Not sure if it will work at the Pool. Connecting with WiFi is no problem though at the Hotspots.

I really like the little netbook.

thanks Gunnar,

I was looking at the Gateway, 11.6 screen, 6 hour battery(6 cell) 2gb memory 250gb harddrive, or a Samsung with similar specs.

Okay, I admit to being a bit technology challenged but will need to access the internet on our next cruise.

It sounds like the investment of a Netbook would almost wash with the cost of the onboard internet charges for as much as I would need it. What I'm not clear on is how you save money if you are still paying the onboard internet access charges? I understand how you can save if you can find a free wi-fi spot but I'm unlcear on the onboard part.

Terpnut, it sounds like you address this in your blog. Can you provide me a link to that? Also, does the issue of European plugs versus U.S. plugs come into play when you want to charge it?

Thank you in advance.

Sally

Okay, I admit to being a bit technology challenged but will need to access the internet on our next cruise.

It sounds like the investment of a Netbook would almost wash with the cost of the onboard internet charges for as much as I would need it. What I'm not clear on is how you save money if you are still paying the onboard internet access charges? I understand how you can save if you can find a free wi-fi spot but I'm unlcear on the onboard part.

Terpnut, it sounds like you address this in your blog. Can you provide me a link to that? Also, does the issue of European plugs versus U.S. plugs come into play when you want to charge it?

Thank you in advance.

Sally

RCI ships have both European 220V and US 110V sockets.

The cost point comes into play, as with your own computer you can do some work offline without being connected to the Internet nd paying the minute rate vs. using their computers where you have to be online all the time paying the per minute charge.

You can use a portable/folding bluetooth keyboard with most phones....check to make sure that it works with your model. Also, make sure it has wi-fi, as you may not be able to use the phone's data connection.

Thank you in advance.

Sally

Terpnut link to his cruise blog is at the bottom of his posts.

On our last cruise, 15 night reposition from SA, was the first one I used my own laptop on. I bought the 60 minutes package and I was able to download and upload emails twice a day with one minute of time used each time (min. time billing unless you could do in less than 15 seconds which there was no charge for). It was so efficient since I did 90% of work, like typing, offline than I had almost half of the pkg time left near the end of the cruise so I went on Cruise Critic to use the time up since, as previously mentioned, there is no refunds for unused time.

Like Gunnar said, RC and most other cruise ships have both 110V and 220V electrical sockets and all computer chargers have a variable voltage rating thus can be connected from 100V to 240V so all you need is a plug adapter (no transformer) to change your two flat blades NA plug to the European two round prongs plug to use off the ship in Europe. It also enables you to utilize the 220V sockets while on board if you have several items to charge or want to use a hair drier or curling iron in the 110V socket.

DSC02922.jpg

Hi all,

My DH is planning on bringing his computer to try and keep up with his emails so he isn't bombarded when he returns to work after the cruise. Someone mentioned that each room has wireless? How much will it cost to use?

:eek: I hope that is a typo because most Netbooks are 2 to 3 lbs. Even with a 6-cell battery, most netbooks are under 4 lbs.

As for the 6-cell battery, I wouldn't recommend it unilaterally. If you want extended battery life for watching movies on a plane or for working several hours, then it might be handy. But many people don't need the extended run-time when considering the extra weight (it probably makes the netbook almost 40% to 50% heavier and that's HUGE!). Some Asus netbooks, for example, with just a 3-cell battery have been tested at 4-5 hours of typical runtime--more than plenty for most people.

Thank you in advance.

Sally

I do have a write-up on working offline and recently reposted to my blog (the link is in my signature below). If you have questions, please post back here. :)

As to power, most computers support 120V (US) and 220V (most of Europe and Asia). As to the plug, modern cruise ships all have North American-style three-prong plugs. You would likely however need an adapter for European hotels or cafes, for example.

Hi all,

My DH is planning on bringing his computer to try and keep up with his emails so he isn't bombarded when he returns to work after the cruise. Someone mentioned that each room has wireless? How much will it cost to use?

Each line and each ship has different wireless coverage so you will need to be more specific. As to pricing, there have been many threads on this subject so please do a search, but expect to pay between $0.25 to $0.75 per minute depending on the plan you purchase.

Thanks for all the information.....much appreciated.

Next step is to start shopping for a Netbook. I think I'll sign up for the Consumer reports online service for a month and take a look at what they have to say. We're also shopping for a new washer and dryer (to trade in our 20 year old clunkers!) so I can get good info on that as well.

Found your blog, thanks again.

Sally

:eek: I hope that is a typo because most Netbooks are 2 to 3 lbs. Even with a 6-cell battery, most netbooks are under 4 lbs.

As for the 6-cell battery, I wouldn't recommend it unilaterally. If you want extended battery life for watching movies on a plane or for working several hours, then it might be handy. But many people don't need the extended run-time when considering the extra weight (it probably makes the netbook almost 40% to 50% heavier and that's HUGE!). Some Asus netbooks, for example, with just a 3-cell battery have been tested at 4-5 hours of typical runtime--more than plenty for most people.

I do have a write-up on working offline and recently reposted to my blog (the link is in my signature below). If you have questions, please post back here. :)

As to power, most computers support 120V (US) and 220V (most of Europe and Asia). As to the plug, modern cruise ships all have North American-style three-prong plugs. You would likely however need an adapter for European hotels or cafes, for example.

Each line and each ship has different wireless coverage so you will need to be more specific. As to pricing, there have been many threads on this subject so please do a search, but expect to pay between $0.25 to $0.75 per minute depending on the plan you purchase.

The prices are above, in post #3. Thank goodness, RC's internet use is not as expensive as Princess'.

Hi all,

RC ships have Wi-Fi that sometimes is usable in cabins near a hot spot but there isn't service, wireless or cable, in all cabins. Cost is as indicated in post #3 for either Wi-Fi using your own computer or if using a ship's computer. We had a cabin just under the Windjammer on our last cruise and my laptop would pick up the Wi-Fi from that hot spot when on our balcony but it was usually weak since our cabin was under the round overhanging section thus had a extensive overhang over it so it was much better to go to the centrum or the WJ itself to use the Wi-Fi service.

RC ships have Wi-Fi that sometimes is usable in cabins near a hot spot but there isn't service, wireless or cable, in all cabins. Cost is as indicated in post #3 for either Wi-Fi using your own computer or if using a ship's computer. We had a cabin just under the Windjammer on our last cruise and my laptop would pick up the Wi-Fi from that hot spot when on our balcony but it was usually weak since our cabin was under the round overhanging section thus had a extensive overhang over it so it was much better to go to the centrum or the WJ itself to use the Wi-Fi service.

On most RCI ships, the locations of the wifi access points are well known. So if you need or want the convenience of in-room wifi access, then book a stateroom near one of the access points. For example, on Radiance-class, access points are located in the Windjammer, Solarium, library, RC Online, and guest relations. There are several other spots but I just can't recall off the top of my head (do a search if anyone is interested in the specific locations as this was discussed before).

Hi all,

Only Freedom class has WiFi in cabins. All others HotSpots only.

Archived