Thank You, just returned from Solstice 17 August Sailing

grotbags

Makes me even more anxious to experience the same when I board the Solstice. I, too, would love to hear about your experience..especially in the main dining room. Can you confirm whether the menus are the old ones or have they started using the new ones..course..if you had pictures that would be even better..lol!!

Thank you for any info that you can provide....

Camelia

We returned from this sailing..... being our 1st cruise I would have to say we absolutely loved the entire experience. Food throughout was fabulous, our really friendly waiter Lazero confirmed that they were trying out a new menu so were interested to hear people's views. Our MDR meals arrived promptly and hot. We had a table for 4, which did seem somewhat close up to the tables either side of us, however the occupants of these other tables occasionally used the alternative restaurants, therefore we didn't always get the feeling of being crowded in. We also dined in Tuscan Grille - this was the only place on the ship where the ships engines and a little movement was noticed - but it was a lovely spot looking out to sea, and the food and service was excellent.

Staff throughout the ship were really nice, our stateroom attendant Urban kept our room spotless (a hard task with our 12 year old DS). Our room was a reasonable size even with the pullman down, only occasionally when the 3 of us were trying to manouver around the bed a the same time did we think it a bit of a squeeze. Storage was fine - all three of us were able to store away enough clothes and more (!) for our 12 day journey.

Ship seemed spacious with plenty of room to spread out on all decks, perhaps the Ocean View grille was sometimes a bit of a scramble to find a table to eat breakfast during the popular time (9 - 10ish), but only one day did we find this a real problem. Talk has been mentioned about the lack of trays here, we personally didnt find this a problem, once you had your table you could easily go back to pick up extras. Food here was again excellent, regularly replenished, and choices for even the most fussiest of eaters. including afternoon tea with light sandwiches and little cakes at around 4 pm, followed by Sushi from 6pm. Pizzas / Pasta seemed to always be available, even when I visited there to get a coffee to go to bed with !!

The pool / sun decks later in the day were the only other crowded areas once people had returned from port or of course on sea days, but there was never a time when we were unable to secure beds, perhaps not always in the best spot (I like the sun). Whilst mentioning the pools - yes they are a little small, especially once it's filled with excited teenagers, but OK if all you want to do is dip in and out again - then of course you have got the Solarium pool which is kid free.

The grass area was also enjoyed, perhaps as others have said the space could be better used, but there was something pleasant about walking about on grass with bare feet. Sunset bar was a popular venue, especially at sailaway, but we didnt have a feeling of being crowded here, lovely spot to enjoy one of the 'Daily Cocktails' at $5.

Whilst talking drinks, a draft beer (440 ml?) would typically be $4.5, but a popular option would be a bucket of beer - 4 bottles Corona / Miller / Heineken, get one free, served in a huge bucket filled with ice - so 5 bottles came to $20. Martini Bar cocktails (being somewhat stronger) $10 +, Glass of wine typically $6 - $8, bottles of wine anywhere from $25 upwards... all these costs need to have their 15% gratuity added. Waiters / Sommeliers seemed never to be too far away, but did not come across pushy.

Our Med ports were as expected - fantastic - if a little hot (what else should I expect for the Med in August !) Once docked we were soon able to be off and exploring. Ships tours seemed costly, but I had done enough prior research for our DIY tours to get us to all of the attractions we had intended on seeing just by using each country's public transport. On returning to ship we had to go through Xray - twice I had bottles of alcohol with me, one time there was someone waiting at the table to take my bottle off for safe storage, the other time I just walked straight past the unmanned table and took the bottle back to my room.

All too soon our 12 days was up, disembarkation was quick and easy, so here we are back home dreaming of our next cruise..... all you guys with forthcoming trips on Solstice / Equinox are in for a real treat !

Archived