Indigenous Trails in New Zealand

SueSails

I find it almost unbelievable. I had wondered why the Indigenous Trails website displayed the Qualmark symbols, yet the Qualmark website doesn't list them as having earned that designation.

Here is the response I received by e-mail from the Qualmark office:

"Indigenous Trails are not Qualmark Licence Holders, we are working with them to ensure that the Qualmark endorsement is removed from their promotional material to avoid any confusion."

There has also been another negative post over on the Trip Advisor forum about them. It is a shame this is still going on.

I too took the 4 pack of New Zealand tours with Indigenous Trails on the September Sapphire Princess sailing. Two of the tours were very disappointing due to the tour guide not being experienced and not understanding the business. I had been in immediate contact with Des to let him know. I did follow-ups with him on email listing in detail the problems. He has also promised a partial refund of these tours to us but I have not seen the credit yet. It has been about 3 weeks since the last "promise" to issue us a credit.

I have to say our tours with Des and Ingidenous Trails were good (everyone in our group enjoyed themselves). I just had a problem with customer service however I finally received a response and apparently there has been some restructure of the company....hopefully this means things will improve.

Just when I thought they were going to take care of my situation, I stopped hearing from them again and it has now been over 3 weeks. I am fed up with them and their lack of service!

Just when I thought they were going to take care of my situation, I stopped hearing from them again and it has now been over 3 weeks. I am fed up with them and their lack of service!

I sure hope things change for Indigenous Trails as our group did enjoy Des and the tours when we were in NZ last year.

• 1 month later...

I had set up tours with Des for all four ports in New Zealand for our Sapphire Princess cruise in October-November 2010. I kept in contact with him all the way up to the time we left home and even on board the ship. Everyone that took the tours had a wonderful time. Des was with us every day. He took us to a lot of places other tours didn't go and the meals he included were wonderful. If you keep in touch with him and he has one point of contact for a cruise tour group like us it works out very well. He told me he had problems with one group because no one wanted to be responsible or act as POC for him to let him know how many people were coming and they were constantly changing their minds. But for us everything went extremely well and if I am back in New Zealand again on another cruise I will definitely contact Des to do our tours for us. You can look him up on Facebook as well.

I had set up tours with Des for all four ports in New Zealand for our Sapphire Princess cruise in October-November 2010. I kept in contact with him all the way up to the time we left home and even on board the ship. Everyone that took the tours had a wonderful time. Des was with us every day. He took us to a lot of places other tours didn't go and the meals he included were wonderful. If you keep in touch with him and he has one point of contact for a cruise tour group like us it works out very well. He told me he had problems with one group because no one wanted to be responsible or act as POC for him to let him know how many people were coming and they were constantly changing their minds. But for us everything went extremely well and if I am back in New Zealand again on another cruise I will definitely contact Des to do our tours for us. You can look him up on Facebook as well.

I have to agree about the tours, however Des and Indigenous Trails made promises to me that they did not honor and for in the past few months have been ignoring my email requests. So unfortunatley, as good as the tours may have been, their lack of service is unforgivable. :(

I have to agree about the tours, however Des and Indigenous Trails made promises to me that they did not honor and for in the past few months have been ignoring my email requests. So unfortunatley, as good as the tours may have been, their lack of service is unforgivable. :(

I'm sorry you had such a time with him not wanting to respond. I hope that is a one-time thing and I can't understand why he won't do anything. Can you go on Facebook and send Des a message that way? I'm sure he'll straighten things out with you if he personally gets the message.

I'm sorry you had such a time with him not wanting to respond. I hope that is a one-time thing and I can't understand why he won't do anything. Can you go on Facebook and send Des a message that way? I'm sure he'll straighten things out with you if he personally gets the message.

I know that he has personally received my message and still has not responded. It is VERY disappointing.

Four of us booked with Indigenous Trails in Tauranga last February. We got confirmations rather quickly and information about when and where to meet them at the port.

We left the ship about 20 minutes early and were on the dock at the appointed place 15 minutes before pick up. No one ever came.

This is the only independent tour we have ever taken that we have been stood up at the port.

We each used our cell phones to call the office number, with no answer. We asked the port security, port workers, other tour providers, and no one had seen them. After 45 minutes, the other couple gave up and did their own thing. We went to the port authority and they had his cell phone number and tracked him down. He said he would pick us up out front of the port authority in 15 minutes. Thirty minutes went by and he still wasn't there. FINALLY, about 1 1/2 hours after the tour should have started he arrived in a car to get us.

To be fair, he gave us a private tour from that point on and the only thing we missed was a drive around tour of Tauranga. Des himself picked us up and was very attentive but not very apologetic.

He said he had changed his pick up time and place, but we never got any notification, even when I emailed to confirm all the arrangements.

So, I would advise anyone to be very careful with confirming and reconfirming all details and ways to get in touch. The tour itself, once we

calmed down, was outstanding. It was all from the Maori point of view and very interesting. Des was wonderful to take our pictures, stop and other places of interest, and to give us a good tour.

The other thing I would mention is that we did not realize that if we had been picked up as promised, it would have been in a bus for 30 people. We didn't realize the group would be that large.

So, I would have to say that Des made it right with us, but it was a whole lot of work on our part, and this experience was still frustrating.

Four of us booked with Indigenous Trails in Tauranga last February. We got confirmations rather quickly and information about when and where to meet them at the port.

We left the ship about 20 minutes early and were on the dock at the appointed place 15 minutes before pick up. No one ever came.

This is the only independent tour we have ever taken that we have been stood up at the port.

We each used our cell phones to call the office number, with no answer. We asked the port security, port workers, other tour providers, and no one had seen them. After 45 minutes, the other couple gave up and did their own thing. We went to the port authority and they had his cell phone number and tracked him down. He said he would pick us up out front of the port authority in 15 minutes. Thirty minutes went by and he still wasn't there. FINALLY, about 1 1/2 hours after the tour should have started he arrived in a car to get us.

To be fair, he gave us a private tour from that point on and the only thing we missed was a drive around tour of Tauranga. Des himself picked us up and was very attentive but not very apologetic.

He said he had changed his pick up time and place, but we never got any notification, even when I emailed to confirm all the arrangements.

So, I would advise anyone to be very careful with confirming and reconfirming all details and ways to get in touch. The tour itself, once we

calmed down, was outstanding. It was all from the Maori point of view and very interesting. Des was wonderful to take our pictures, stop and other places of interest, and to give us a good tour.

The other thing I would mention is that we did not realize that if we had been picked up as promised, it would have been in a bus for 30 people. We didn't realize the group would be that large.

So, I would have to say that Des made it right with us, but it was a whole lot of work on our part, and this experience was still frustrating.

As a tour company that is very unprofessiional. There used to be a member who would always post on these boards promoting this company, and how wonderful they are, I wonder what that member has to say now.

It is very disappointing for people who have travelled so far, to have this happen. When you arrange a tour, you shouldn't have to be treated like that. Did you pay for the tour beforehand?

As a tour company that is very unprofessiional. There used to be a member who would always post on these boards promoting this company, and how wonderful they are, I wonder what that member has to say now.

It is very disappointing for people who have travelled so far, to have this happen. When you arrange a tour, you shouldn't have to be treated like that. Did you pay for the tour beforehand?

Yes, we did pay beforehand by credit card. However, no tip...

It was disappointing, and I was already nervous because this trip was the first time I had taken the lead in planning independent tours. It added a level of stress that isn't there with ship's tours.

We still pursue independent tours, and I have organized a few since then, so I guess it didn't stop me but I am super cautious now and double check and re-confirm everything.

Yes, we did pay beforehand by credit card. However, no tip...

It was disappointing, and I was already nervous because this trip was the first time I had taken the lead in planning independent tours. It added a level of stress that isn't there with ship's tours.

We still pursue independent tours, and I have organized a few since then, so I guess it didn't stop me but I am super cautious now and double check and re-confirm everything.

I hope you didn't tip them. Maybe post something on trip advisor.

I guess you would have felt embarrassed as well. Maybe also in the future only pay a deposit and the balance on the day. Any good day tour operator, should work that way.

• 3 weeks later...

We have recently returned from Diamond Princess Cruise of NZ and Australia. After checking out their website, decided to book with Indigenous Tours for their “6 hour Rotorua Trail” departing from the Port of Tauranga. The tour was advertised as collection from cruise ship at 9.30 am, returning 15.30 visiting Rotorua, Whakarewarewa Village with Cultural Show & Geyser tour, Kiwi Fruit Orchard accompanied by Maori guides and Chaperones. This was just what we wanted and we booked over three months in advance and paid in full.

We arrived on the quayside in good time, found a representative from Indigenous Trails who seemed to know nothing about us. We accepted that mistakes can happen and if they had apologised there and then, we would have accepted this but they compounded the situation by being off-hand and unhelpful. Their representative, Mary, said: she didn’t know our name because she’d “left the list of names on another bus”, then - “our tour had left without us because our ship was in late”. Therefore all she could offer us was to take their free shuttle bus into Tauranga, wait around for 2.5 hours and get on their tour bus leaving 12 noon. We had paid 125 NZD for the pre-booked tour we expected, whilst their non-prebooked tour is 110 NZD. Then we found we would not have a Maori chaperone on the tour, except in the Maori village, (although our guides were very pleasant) and that our advertised “light lunch” would be half of a round of sandwiches and one quarter of a muffin!

Having complained to them on our return, the response by their representative, Mary, is that she suspects “ulterior motives behind our complaints”. We feel insulted by this, as all we ever wanted was an apology. We enjoyed the tour but feel they need to look at their customer service.

I wrote to Des because I was concerned about the bad things I have been hearing regarding his tours. Everyone on my tours just loved them. I have Des's permission to post this response. I hope this will let you all understand that he does respond to any problems you may have.

Kia ora,

This was my response to the aggrieved which I posted on Trip Advisor. Des

Dear Mr (JayBee),

Indigenous Trails has offered to refund you the difference for what you considered you were agrieved. You appeared not to acknowledge this, instead. We referred to your threats in anticipation. However, we maintain that the tour you refer to was not that which you booked. Our records show that. Furthermore, this tour was not a private tour - it was a "shared" service and is clearly stated so. We stand by our emailed response to you and find your comments extremely dissapointing, given your alleged protests were never voiced on the day of the tour and you even had the nerve to request the photo gallery provided by us from the very same tour you appear to "rubbish" for your own archives after returning to the UK. Interviews with our stafff relating to your comments suggest that these are not totally warranted. If you felt so strongly aggreived by what you now claim - why did you not bring this to the attention of the staff on the day given you appeared to be in discomfort at the start of the day. We would have happily refunded you on request but you chose to follow through and extend your "displeasure" by continuing to "slander". You booked the wrong tour and that is fact. In defence of the "lunch" - please note this was always a "snack lunch". Previous years we have provided a "Buffet lunch" on this same tour - the ONLY tour company in Tauranga that does this. After feedback from passengers, they suggested that this not be included because of the amount of food accessible on the ship. We chose to still provide a 'light lunch" or something to eat. If you had have booked the right tour you would have gotten that a full lunch! During the current season, Indigenous Trails has been responsible for upward 10,000 visitors to Tauranga and are quite aware that we have become the focus of attention especially from 'nasty' competitors and their associates. We are used to this type of behaviour and have staved off unwarranted attacks even by mainstream tourism entities whose intent is only to monopolise a market. You were asked if you wanted a partial refund, you have not responded other than by posting in this and other forums, therefore your intent and purpose has clearly be shown.

Indigenous Trails

P.O.Box 11356

Palm Beach Post Office, 3151,

Papamoa, Mount-Maunganui

Aotearoa-New Zealand

Here is another response from Des. I am posting these because I plan to use ITrails again. They were the best tours I have ever had in any port.

We had our biggest cruise season ever this year. In total we serviced 12587 cruise guests for the 2010-2011 season. This compared with 4233 for the same period 2009-2010.

Our tours have acclaimed a 98.85% satisfaction rating according to the surveys done.

As you can see the growth factor within the current and the past season have three doubled, though satisfaction of the tours has remained high.

Of course there are those that will fall through the ‘cracks’ and that is what we will endeavor to improve on.

As mentioned earlier, we are appreciative of your promotional reviews and I wish to advise that there are still many that have booked private tours from cruise critic and other sources because of these, both during the current season and for coming seasons.

We are experiencing a large growth factors and next season will be even more exhausting. We understand that growth needs to be managed and because of this our team on the ground has and will be ready to handle this.

I am not selling tours for Des and ITrails but I hate to see some of the things I have seen on this thread about his company and tours.

We have never sought a refund (we've always stated it was a good tour) and we have not threatened you. You clearly had no record of our booking made three months in advance and we voiced our protests immediately on the quayside. Your response to us at that time was poor, off-hand giving poor customer service. This is the reason for our complaint.

John and Janet Bowers

• 2 months later...
Here is another response from Des. I am posting these because I plan to use ITrails again. They were the best tours I have ever had in any port.

We had our biggest cruise season ever this year. In total we serviced 12587 cruise guests for the 2010-2011 season. This compared with 4233 for the same period 2009-2010.

Our tours have acclaimed a 98.85% satisfaction rating according to the surveys done.

As you can see the growth factor within the current and the past season have three doubled, though satisfaction of the tours has remained high.

Of course there are those that will fall through the ‘cracks’ and that is what we will endeavor to improve on.

As mentioned earlier, we are appreciative of your promotional reviews and I wish to advise that there are still many that have booked private tours from cruise critic and other sources because of these, both during the current season and for coming seasons.

We are experiencing a large growth factors and next season will be even more exhausting. We understand that growth needs to be managed and because of this our team on the ground has and will be ready to handle this.

I am not selling tours for Des and ITrails but I hate to see some of the things I have seen on this thread about his company and tours.

Wish I could say the same thing...we did enjoy our tours with Indigenous Trails, but due to their lack of service and follow-through on promises made (since October 2009)...I would NEVER use them again or refer them to anyone. It is really a shame because had they come through on their promises, I would have been referring many people to them. :(

Must admit this is the first time I have heard such reports about this company. When we were looking we considered booking with them, and do know that others have been more than happy. However, we decided to go with Carlton Tours for Tauranga. We had a great day, and the tour covered more than was listed. I for one would use Carlton Tours again....very happy.

Jen

• 1 month later...
We used this Company in 2008 and their tour was one of the best. I can only say good things about Des and his team. We always confirm our tours again before we leave home just in case.

Des and his team were the ones who made promises that they never kept and that was in 2009! The tours were good in 2009 as well. it is just very unfortunate that their level of customer service has diminished to a very low standard. :(

Archived