Dress Code

emily1606

We're due to leave very soon, although very excited there are just a few queries I have about the dress code!

What is the suggested dress code for men and women in the main dining room in the evening? Are jeans acceptable?

For gents is a shirt to be worn every night or is a t shirt suitable?

Thank you in advance!

We're due to leave very soon, although very excited there are just a few queries I have about the dress code!

What is the suggested dress code for men and women in the main dining room in the evening? Are jeans acceptable?

Thank you in advance!

We too leave soon, Dress code is a couple of formal nights and the rest smart casual.

To be honest I would not be happy for anyone to wear Jeans and a T shirt too dinner on any night, that should be OK at home, but not on a ship or out for a nice meal and also No mobile/cell phones at dinner :eek:

I would say a smart shirt and trousers and that is what most will wear

My Wife and I are just back from a weeks Med Cruise on the Preziosa. This was our first time with MSC. On all our cruises over the past 15 years, it was the most relaxed dress code we have encountered. There were 2 Formal nights and even on them there were a few in the MDR wearing tee shirts and jeans. Although I always take my Dinner Suit with me, on this cruise I am glad I left it at home and just wore a dark suit instead. It appeared that the majority of women adhered to the dress code, the same cannot be said for the men.

Thank you in advance!

DR on ships is like high class restaurant on shore .Would you wear t-shirt in fancy restaurant and jeans ?

I think its a shame that people do wear Jeans and a T Shirt, a sign of the times and its Lazy I think, its a bit more effort to be smart, The DR is smart and its a night out and so should be smart trousers and a shirt, maybe others would do the same if more showed some effort.

I think its a shame that people do wear Jeans and a T Shirt, a sign of the times and its Lazy I think, its a bit more effort to be smart, The DR is smart and its a night out and so should be smart trousers and a shirt, maybe others would do the same if more showed some effort.

I agree completely. Laziness and a lack of respect. Must be a worldwide problem :mad:

"Manners maketh the man"

I hope so, I not snobbish in any way, but when I go out I dress up, maybe a pair of nice trousers and a shirt, and I just dislike people who are there in Jeans and T shirts.

you will have a great cruise and you will enjoy dressing up a little at night for dinner, I think you will most people do and only a few wont

• 1 month later...
How do you find out about the theme nights on the cruise,white night Italian etc so we can plan outfits

I don't think there is anywhere they are published, so it might have to be an inspired guess.

These were the dress code/themes on my last few cruises, they seem to be at the discretion of the cruise director.

The dress codes are

DRESS CODE

Causal wear is advised for like on-board the ship and for excursions ashore.

For informal evenings, we recommend smart-casual attire, for example a summer dress, lightweight jack, chinos.

For the Gala Evenings and parties, you may wish to dress more formally; we suggest a suit for gentlemen and an evening/cocktail dress for ladies.

It is advisable to have a sweater or shawl handy for changes in temperature between the air-conditioned interior of the ship and the deck areas. For excursions including visits to religious sites we advise appropriate clothing (covered knees and shoulders, no low-cut tops).

And of course there are themed nights

From the information below you could hazard a guess at the number of theme nights on your cruise

my guess's are

3 nights to 7 nights:- 2 themed nights and 2 GALA nights

8 nights to 10 nights:- 2 themed nights and 3 GALA nights

11 nights to 14 nights:- 4 themed nights and 3 GALA nights

14 nights + :- 5 themed nights and 4 GALA nights

It would appear that the 2 most likely nights are red/green/white and white

The third most likely night is 60s/70s/80s.

it would also seem they like to put GALA nights to coincide with a day at sea , if you have any on your cruise.

Other themed nights appear to be lined to the season or the area of the cruise (eg tropical)

So you might be able to have an educated guess at what are the most likely for your cruise, but I'm not putting any guarantees on the guess's made.

Sinfonia Dec 2014 (11 nights)

day 1 CASUAL

day 2 theme:- red/green/white (Italian night)

day 3 GALA (FORMAL) *(AT SEA)

day 4 CASUAL

day 5 theme:- 60s/70s/80s

day 6 CASUAL *(docked all day and over night)

day 7 GALA

day 8 theme:- white *(AT SEA)

day 9 CASUAL

day 10 GALA

day 11 theme:- costume *(AT SEA)

day 12 disembarkation

Opera Oct 2014 (21 nights)

day 1 CASUAL

day 2 INFORMAL (overnight in port)

day 3 INFORMAL

day 4 GALA *(AT SEA)

day 5 CASUAL

day 6 INFORMAL *(AT SEA)

day 7 theme:- costume

day 8 CASUAL *(AT SEA)

day 9 theme:- 60s/70s/80s

day 10 GALA *(AT SEA)

day 11 INFORMAL *(AT SEA)

day 12 INFORMAL

day 13 CASUAL *(AT SEA)

day 14 GALA *(AT SEA)

day 15 INFORMAL *(AT SEA)

day 16 theme:- red/white/green *(AT SEA)

day 17 theme:- white *(AT SEA)

day 18 INFORMAL *(AT SEA)

day 19 GALA *(AT SEA)

day 20 theme:- tropical

day 21 CASUAL *(AT SEA)

day 22 disembarkation

Sinfonia Oct 2013 (7 nights)

day 1 theme:- 60s/70s/80s

day 2 GALA

day 3 theme:- white

day 4 theme:- Halloween

day 5 CASUAL

day 6 GALA

day 7 CASUAL

day 8 disembark

Opera August 2013 (10 nights)

day 1 CASUAL

day 2 CASUAL

day 3 CASUAL

day 4 GALA *(AT SEA)

day 5 INFORMAL

day 6 theme:- masquerade

day 7 GALA *(AT SEA)

day 8 theme:- white

day 9 GALA *(AT SEA)

day 10 CASUAL

day 11 disembark

Pete

Edited by Skier52

• 4 months later...

Completely agree. As an early 30s male (i like to think i still represent the younger audience lol) even I think dress code should be followed. I always wear my tux on formal night, and shirt and trousers on other times. If i want to wear jeans one night then i will do so in the buffet. Where else and how often does anyone have the chance to get all 'dolled' up like this?

Personally all ships should crack down on this more and turn people away from the MDR. I hate seeing people who actually make an effort sat amongst others who look, quite frankly, a mess.

On Divina, i noticed someone attempt to enter the MDR in shorts. SHORTS????? Thankfully he was turned away.

Thanks both. We have our formal outfits however were more concerned about the other nights. Is the dress code more relaxed? What type of trousers are recommended for the men on the other nights? Thanks

Chinos or dress pants.

it depends on your personal choice of wearing something on dining, as far as i know there are two dress codes in total, men formal with black tie and female depends on treditions

There are 4 dress codes on MSC , all suggested rather than must wear, other than themed dress codes.

Casual :- anything goes, but NO shorts after 06:00pm, no swimwear and no bare feet.

Informal ;- suggested men wear shirt with tie

Formal; - suggested jackets for men with shirt and tie

Gala.;- suggested Dinner jackets ; dress shirts and bow ties

themed nights on my recent 28 night cruise included;-

60s, 70s, 80s:- 3 nights

Tropical :- 2 nights

Green, Red, White (Italian night) :- 2 nights

White:- 3 nights

costume:- 1 night

total themed (party) nights :- 11 nights

Gala :- 7 nights

Casual ;- 7 nights

informal:- 3 nights

formal :- 0 nights

Hi Skier did you have a god time?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

:D I certainly met Neptune, who was a Roman God, at the crossing the Atlantic ceremony.

Neptune is the god of the sea in Roman mythology, a brother of Jupiter and Pluto. He is analogous but not identical to the god Poseidon of Greek mythology
:D:D

But in answer to the intended question

We had a very GOOD time and thoroughly enjoyed the cruise(s) and when I've completed my review I'll post a link to it,.

I write them on a UK forum which allows as many images per post as you like and so make it easier to do.

Besides I'm a moderator on that site so I am able to produce a better laid out review.

Pete

Hi - with the themed nights, do people actually wear red, white and green? And I can't imagine the husband in a white outfit!! Thanks

On Italian night:- Some people wear clothes which have all three colours others wear clothes with predominantly one of either red or green.

As for white nights some go for all White while others wear a white shirt with light coloured trousers.

The women seem to follow the colour scheme more than the men.

Pete