Santorini self transport to oia from port

hsbro

Will be on celebrity reflection in santorini in July. I see various tours from the cruise ship tender port to oia by boat and also includes bus from oia to Fira. Is it possible to do this on your own with public transport? If so what is approximate cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Will be on celebrity reflection in santorini in July. I see various tours from the cruise ship tender port to oia by boat and also includes bus from oia to Fira. Is it possible to do this on your own with public transport? If so what is approximate cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, we have just returned from a cruise on NCL Star and arrived at Santorini at 2pm. When you tender into Fira at the bottom of the cable car, walk to the left and look for the sign "FAST LINE TO OIA". We waited about 10 minutes for a boat and the fare was 15 euros per person. The queue for the cable car was very long at this time. We took the boat around the bay to Oia and the scenery was stunning, looking back to the ships in the bay and up to Oia, coming to a berth at Oia which was quite busy with boats as there is only one berth. Saying that we only waited about 10 mins. The total journey time was about 30 minutes. We then got a private coach from this berth to Oia wandered about for a good few hours and returned to Fira on the coach at 6pm, all included in the price. The journey back took about 45 mins. We had something to eat in Fira and got the cable car back down to the tender station. As it was about 8pm by this time, the queue was quieter and we only waited about 30 mins. All in all an excellent experience and definately value for money. Please do not be ripped off by Cruise company excursion prices. What I have described is so so easy and a great experience. I hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise,

Campbell

If on your own, you have a few options. 1. Take a taxi between Fira and Oia...which will probably cost you about 25€ (one-way). 2. Walk to the bus station (about a 15 min walk from the cable car station) and take the local bus. or 3. Rent a car for the day (there are plenty of local rental car places that have fair prices) and drive yourself to wherever you please. Parking is not a major problem on the island...so driving yourself is a good way to explore beyond just Fira and Oia.

Hank

We were in Santorini last week. Three cruise ships in port. I walked up the donkey path (588 steps) and tried to take the bus to Oia. A free for all. No room on the 11:00 am bus. They run every 30 minutes. Decided to share a taxi with another lady, €10 each. Happy, happy. Oia is wonderful but it was a zoo, packed with people. On the way back I shared a van with 11 others, €5 each. Very happy. The driver took some shortcuts and we ended at the cable car. Lines were huge so I decided to take the donkey path back down. It was easier to climb up since the path is worn out and my sneakers were worn out, too. Had to be extra careful walking down. Didn't want to end in the donkey poo. While in Fira I rewarded myself with a caipirinha and a huge baklava that could have fed 3 people. The weather was perfect. We were also rewarded with one of those fiery red sunsets. There is something about Greece.....

Hiltner,

Option 4 -- walk the scenic coastal trail from Fira to Oia.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's what we're doing. Speed ferry to Oia right from the port, hike (6 miles) from Oia to Fira, either cable car or walk down to the tenders.

Hiltner,

Option 4 -- walk the scenic coastal trail from Fira to Oia.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this, and it was fabulous! You need to be fit. It's a decent hike We're doing it again this July.

Not sure if the times in port are similar but we did hike last fall from X Reflection. While we enjoyed the hike, we didn't feel it gave us enough time exploring Fira and Oia. While it wasn't an issue for us because we did a similar itinerary on Reflection a couple of years back and took the bus to Oia, it might not be optimal for first timers. The hike got a bit repetitive too. I suppose another option is hike part of the way and the head over to the road to try to flag down a bus.

Based on what we had read on CC we took option 3 and opted for returning with the boat.The bus which is included in the fare takes you up to Oia and tells you when to meet for the return journey. This gives the longest time there and is less stressful it is a beautiful town.

Based on what we had read on CC we took option 3 and opted for returning with the boat.The bus which is included in the fare takes you up to Oia and tells you when to meet for the return journey. This gives the longest time there and is less stressful it is a beautiful town.

This option does not always work...especially if one is in Santorini early in the season. Two years ago, while on the Prinsendam, we went to Santorini in very late March or early April (I cannot remember the exact date). Some friends decided they would take the boat over to Oia...so when we tendered into the small port below Fira...we all headed over to a guy who had a sign indicating boat transportation. He mentioned the price and said we were welcome to step into his boat. Before buying tickets I asked him when the boat would leave for Oia and he answered, "once we get at least 10 passengers." Since at this point there were only the 4 of us, we decided to hang around for the next tender. We waited for the 2nd and 3rd tender and there still were fewer then 10. By this time it was past 10:30 and when I asked the boat guy to please take us over to Oia he said no...he would wait for a few more tenders. So DW and I split from our friends and went off on our own (we later took the bus over to Oia). That evening we ran into our friends and they told us the boat never did leave for Oia. They had waited until shortly after noon, and finally gave up. By that time they thought it was too late to go to Oia...so they never even left Fira. Does this happen often? We think not. But it does happen. So my only advice about using the boat is do not commit your funds until you have assurances they are actually going to leave.

Hank

We did this, and it was fabulous! You need to be fit. It's a decent hike We're doing it again this July.[/quot

Hello, we are planning to do this hike as well. Can you tell me how long it took you from Oia to Fira? We are also trying to avoid the cable car so if we can do the boat over that would be great.

Thank you!

Janine

We were in Santorini in April on a cruise ship. We took the ships included tour to Oia had a quick look around and then walked back to the cable car. The walk took us three hours which included stops for photos (numerous) and a stop for a picnic lunch we took with us. We still had time for a well deserved beer and a walk around before having to get back to the boat.

The walk was one of the highlights of our holiday and the views and scenery majestic. You wont regret it.

Janine,

We let our guide know we were leaving the group and she was cool with that. She had not had anyone do the walk before and was very accomodating and pointed out exactly where we should go.

Go do it and enjoy!

Janine,

We let our guide know we were leaving the group and she was cool with that. She had not had anyone do the walk before and was very accomodating and pointed out exactly where we should go.

Go do it and enjoy!

Fabulous! We had really wanted to do it so looking forward to it now. Thank you so much for the information.

Janine

We did the hike from Fira to Oia on a previous trip and it was awesome, but we were really tired by the time we got to Oia and didn't really make the most of it. I think this time I'm going to use the boat and go straight to Oia and then hike back later in the day. We will miss the sunset in Oia, but I think it will make for a great day. Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, we have just returned from a cruise on NCL Star and arrived at Santorini at 2pm. When you tender into Fira at the bottom of the cable car, walk to the left and look for the sign "FAST LINE TO OIA". We waited about 10 minutes for a boat and the fare was 15 euros per person. The queue for the cable car was very long at this time. We took the boat around the bay to Oia and the scenery was stunning, looking back to the ships in the bay and up to Oia, coming to a berth at Oia which was quite busy with boats as there is only one berth. Saying that we only waited about 10 mins. The total journey time was about 30 minutes. We then got a private coach from this berth to Oia wandered about for a good few hours and returned to Fira on the coach at 6pm, all included in the price. The journey back took about 45 mins. We had something to eat in Fira and got the cable car back down to the tender station. As it was about 8pm by this time, the queue was quieter and we only waited about 30 mins. All in all an excellent experience and definately value for money. Please do not be ripped off by Cruise company excursion prices. What I have described is so so easy and a great experience. I hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise,

Campbell

Hi Campbell,

My husband and I will be cruising on the NCL Star this October and would like to see Santorini on our own. What you've described sounds perfect for us. Did you have this coach/tour pre-planned, or was it spontaneous upon your arrival in Oia? What was the price you paid for the coach? We're trying to avoid the exorbitant cruise line excursion prices, so any and all advice helps! Thank you!

Hi Campbell,

My husband and I will be cruising on the NCL Star this October and would like to see Santorini on our own. What you've described sounds perfect for us. Did you have this coach/tour pre-planned, or was it spontaneous upon your arrival in Oia? What was the price you paid for the coach? We're trying to avoid the exorbitant cruise line excursion prices, so any and all advice helps! Thank you!

Hi, in answer to your questions, no it was not pre booked, we just walked off the tender at Fira, walked to the left and bought our tickets spontaneously. The coach return is included in the 15euro price. When you arrive in Oia, the organisers will tell you when the return bus will be. If your cruise is the same timings as us (arrive in Santorini at 2pm) we returned on the 6pm bus from Oia to Fira. I hope this clarifies and as I said 15euro return trip per person. C

• 2 years later...
On 6/6/2017 at 9:33 AM, Hlitner said:

If on your own, you have a few options. 1. Take a taxi between Fira and Oia...which will probably cost you about 25€ (one-way). 2. Walk to the bus station (about a 15 min walk from the cable car station) and take the local bus. or 3. Rent a car for the day (there are plenty of local rental car places that have fair prices) and drive yourself to wherever you please. Parking is not a major problem on the island...so driving yourself is a good way to explore beyond just Fira and Oia.

Hank

Hello.  My wife and I will be in Santorini in May 2020, and we are interested in renting a car or scooter.  I was curious if you could recommend a rental company that you had a positive experience with?  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Flyahul said:

Hello.  My wife and I will be in Santorini in May 2020, and we are interested in renting a car or scooter.  I was curious if you could recommend a rental company that you had a positive experience with?  Thank you.

The company we used is out of business.  I am sure that some others will suggest companies, but we normally just look online for whoever has the best deals and an office in Fira.  You do not want to use an office at the airport since that would involve using taxis.  Many of the best deals are generally from smaller local companies.

Hank