Just off Triumph - any questions?

Glassmcr1981

Frequent lurker here who just got off the Triumph today. Figured I'd try to answer any questions folks might have as I've heavily relied on feedback here myself in the past.

All in all the cruise was great. This was our 5th overall cruise, but our first with our kids (7 and 4). We've sailed Celebrity the last two times, but this was a great choice for the kids. They loved the Seuss at Sea activities, and adored the pool and slide (and watermelon!).

We had an aft balcony, which was nice, but nowhere near as nice as we've had in the past on Celebrity. The food was just fine, the entertainment OK - our focus was on the kids and they absolutely had a blast.

Cheers program was money well spent. Guy's burger are indeed fantastic! We stayed on the boat in Progresso and let the kids play in the much much less crowded pools, and it sounded like a great decision based on others reviews. We did Mr Sanchos in Cozumel, and it was a great time. Highly recommended!

Any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks!

What brands of beer are on tap?

Seemed to depend on the bar. I know I had Dos Equis at one of the pool bars, and Bud Light and Miller Lite could be found too. With the Cheers package, we were more inclined to get mixed drinks to make sure we got our money's worth. One note there...even though they say you can't get double shot drinks with it, the EA Sports bar has $8.95 double shots which are indeed covered :)

We are taking the same cruise in August. Was it easy to get to Mr. Sanchos? How much did it cost to get there? What were the reviews about Progesso that were bad? Any tips about the ship? This will be our first cruise..thank you!!!

We are taking the same cruise in August. Was it easy to get to Mr. Sanchos? How much did it cost to get there? What were the reviews about Progesso that were bad? Any tips about the ship? This will be our first cruise..thank you!!!

Mr Sanchos was quite easy to get to via cab. It was a bit of a cluster getting one, but only due to 4 ships letting people off at the same time in Cozumel. They herd you right to the taxis, just a decent line. Cost was $25 each way, and it was about a 10 minute drive.

Progresso...it's a peculiar port. The pier is crazy long, but they do have shuttle buses to take you into town. The big draw is Mayan ruins, but it just wouldn't have worked with our kids. Reviews here before the cruise warned of a massive amount of pushy sellers on the beaches, and in talking to others late one night in the comedy club that seemed to be almost an understatement.

The ship itself was in pretty good shape for its age and past "issues". The late night outdoor movies, adult comedy, and pizza were always a hit. Enjoy your cruise!

We are sailing on the Triumph in September. I am very concerned about disembarkation. How long did it take for you to disembark?

They made us be out of our rooms around 8:30. I believe it was around 9 when the first group of those doing self assist could leave, which was slightly ahead of schedule. Of course, everyone madly rushed the gangway and things got a little behind. Lots of announcements to please stay off of Deck 3 until it was your turn. Our scheduled time was 10:20, and our group got called around 10:30. Everything moved quickly from there.

Seems to me the street vendors in Progresso are not as aggressive as they are in Cozumel. Usually a polite "no" and they will leave you alone. The city bus tour is pretty interesting and really cheap.

You could well be right, we didn't go off so I can't speak authoritatively on it by any means. One guy on the boat told stories from Progresso of frequent and aggressive selling though, the kind where when you said no thank you, they'd push hard and not give up without insulting you. I believe this was at one of the beaches. I'd love to go back and do the Mayan ruins tours when the kids are older!

Did your kids enjoy any Camp Carnival activities? Going on Triumph in October and it will be my kids' first cruise as well! :)

Camp Carnival (now rebranded Camp Ocean) was hit and miss. They went the first sea day early and loved it. From there our youngest wanted to stay back with us, and the oldest wanted to go sporadically. It was very structured with activities, which is certainly a good thing, but being just out of school I think they would have liked more free time to play whatever they wanted (and it is hard to top the pools and slide :) )

The Seuss at Sea activities were cute. Depending on the age of your kids they might really enjoy those.

Also - it showed rain every single day last week in both Progreso and Cozumel - how was the actual weather?

What movies did they show during your cruise?

The outdoor movies I recall were SpongeBob, Night at the Museum, Hunger Games, Big Hero 6, Home - there were a few more as well. In room, I watched Taken 2 late one night. Kids watched Alvin and the Chipmunks, Rio, and the Croods in the room too.

The weather was great. Extremely sunny all week. There was a quick popup shower in Galveston on the way back, but that was it. Sounds like we were quite fortunate!

Seems to me the street vendors in Progresso are not as aggressive as they are in Cozumel. Usually a polite "no" and they will leave you alone. The city bus tour is pretty interesting and really cheap.

We did this schedule on the Elation last year, and we're doing it again in October on the Triumph. There were 6 of us in tow last year (me, hubbs, son (15), daughter (12), mother-in-law and father-in-law). We went into Progresso just to see for ourselves. We walked the streets and ended at the beach. I was approached twice by two different people and said "no thank you." I was on the beach for about an hour and that was all that approached me (who knows, I may not look approachable! :D).

We did not have a bad experience with Progresso at all. It's just an old Mexican town that is not all touristy like Cozumel. While walking back to the place where you catch the bus to the boat, we walked by a school letting kids out for the day. I thought it was a friendly town and we felt very safe (unlike the Bahamas where I did not feel safe at all).

Do you by any chance have a copy of the Daily Sheet showing the bands playing in the

evening, we are dancers and I know the ones on board for our last trip have changed:)

How was the piano bar? Was there a pull up bar in the gym? Thanks!!

We were on the the 5 nighter before this one, here's your answers.

1. Pitiful

2. Yes

Edited by BallFour4

Do you by any chance have a copy of the Daily Sheet showing the bands playing in the

evening, we are dancers and I know the ones on board for our last trip have changed:)

Actually was sitting right next to the Fun Times when you asked. Bands and DJs appear to be...

DJ Chef Shur

Jesse Alan playing guitar

Benjamin Byler with variety music

Music Highlights with party music

Latin Flavor and Latin Sugar with Latin music

Mike in the piano bar

Rick Lopez and the Triumph Showband with dance mixes

We usually cruise on Royal Caribbean, but decided to try the Triumph for a short cruise to see what its like. We're only about 20 miles from Galveston so it's a hop, skip and jump away.

Do you have any suggestions for a first timer on this ship? We are also in an aft cabin. A first for us. I usually like a Jr. Suite on the hump.

Thanks,

Gloria