~*~ Silly Me With Newbie Questions ~*~

I am planning our first cruise (NCL Epic 3/31/18) to the Western Caribbean. It's a graduation gift for our son, so we're all excited. (When he was 4, he begged to go on a ride on a "boat house", which took us forever to figure out what he was talking about, lol).

I've been perusing this site for about a week now, jotting down notes about port calls & excursions. A few questions have popped into my mind, so I figured I'd ask - I've used the search feature a bit, but I think I can get better answers directly.

1) Are the ships pools/hot tubs open 24 hours? I love a late night dip, so I am hoping they are....

2) Does each stateroom have its own temperature controls? I am always cold, hubby is always hot. I sleep with about 5-6 blankets & quilts, he barely sleeps with 2. If the rooms stay pretty chilly, can I get a pile of extra blankets?

3) I've heard that most of the stops take the USD - is that accurate? Even Ocho Rios & Cozumel?

4) Here's the biggie - SHARKS! I am a fanatic about sharks. I love them & am just stupid over them, lol. What are the chances of seeing a shark on our trip? I don't care if it's a Great White, Reef, Nurse or Dogfish! Has anyone ever actually seen one, either from the ship, or while in port? That would just make my life! Due to ear issues, I am unable to SCUBA dive, but I could snorkel.... I've never done that, but it'd be worth the try!

Thanks for any & all input! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.... I've only got 383 days left to plan! :D:D:D

I am planning our first cruise (NCL Epic 3/31/18) to the Western Caribbean. It's a graduation gift for our son, so we're all excited. (When he was 4, he begged to go on a ride on a "boat house", which took us forever to figure out what he was talking about, lol).

I've been perusing this site for about a week now, jotting down notes about port calls & excursions. A few questions have popped into my mind, so I figured I'd ask - I've used the search feature a bit, but I think I can get better answers directly.

1) Are the ships pools/hot tubs open 24 hours? I love a late night dip, so I am hoping they are....

Can't say for certain what the hours are on NCL but most cruise lines have late hours with the hot tubs but may limit the pool hours.

2) Does each stateroom have its own temperature controls? I am always cold, hubby is always hot. I sleep with about 5-6 blankets & quilts, he barely sleeps with 2. If the rooms stay pretty chilly, can I get a pile of extra blankets?

Yes - room temperatures are individually controlled.

3) I've heard that most of the stops take the USD - is that accurate? Even Ocho Rios & Cozumel?

Yes - US$ is pretty much universally accepted in the Caribbean. Martinique is one exception preferring the Euro but also accepting US$. However if you want US$ change v local currency with cash purchases it is best to specify US$ in change before your transaction to avoid the possibility of local currency instead.

4) Here's the biggie - SHARKS! I am a fanatic about sharks. I love them & am just stupid over them, lol. What are the chances of seeing a shark on our trip? I don't care if it's a Great White, Reef, Nurse or Dogfish! Has anyone ever actually seen one, either from the ship, or while in port? That would just make my life! Due to ear issues, I am unable to SCUBA dive, but I could snorkel.... I've never done that, but it'd be worth the try!

Have seen dolphins, sea turtles, and flying fish, but never a shark either at sea or in port.

Thanks for any & all input! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.... I've only got 383 days left to plan! :D:D:D

See my answers above in red. Enjoy your cruise.

There should be at least 1 pool or hot tub open almost all the time. Lots of folks like "late night" dips!

Yes..you can get more blankets, if needed!

ALL of the Caribbean ports accept USD...no worries...but do take smaller bills ashore, or you might get local currency as change.

If you do some sort of snorkel excursion, you may see small sharks...they are, after all, everywhere!

Get a guidebook and start researching your ports...it's always good to know something about where you're going, and you might find you won't need to pay for excursions, if what interests you is easy to do on your own. A guidebook is very helpful!

It depends. Most have at least one of the pools closed late at night and they clean the pools at night so there's no guarantee. There will more than likely be a hot tub, but it's hard to swim in a hot tub...lol.

There's usually an extra blanket in the closet. If not, the cabin steward will get extras for you. All cabins have their own thermostat and controls.

Most take U.S. $. We pay for anything substantial with a credit card and for small things, we use small bills, which we keep in more than one location on us, just in case.

Never seen a shark (and I'm grateful). I have seen some locations/ports that offer a shark experience but I don't remember which island(s). Check your shore excursions for the different itineraries and cruise lines to see if any are offered or go to TripAdviser and look at the islands you are considering to see if there are any shark related excursions.

Helllo!!

I agree with the rest :)

1) I like a late night swim too, rarely closed unless it's bad weather.

2) Never had any problems with the temperature in the cabins :)

3) Think so yep!

4) Never seen a shark either... sorry! I agree with griffy maybe look for an excursion.

I hope you have a fabulous time. I really liked the epic, the bathroom is a little weird (shower on one side and toilet on the other) but apart from that I really liked it.

383 days is a really long time but if you fancy a bit more research this post may help: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-cruising-with-ncl/ (just the quirky little bits I think you should know before cruising with NCL. Got tons of photos of the epic on there too.

don't forget to try the big water slide!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just to clarify some of the comments regarding US$ as acceptable currency in the Caribbean. It is definitely the currency of choice everywhere that I am aware of in the Caribbean, and where it is not the first choice, it would certainly still be accepted. I am not aware of any Caribbean island where it is not accepted. If someone knows of any for certain please advise so that I can be corrected.

We have been to 15 different Caribbean islands and US$ is the primary accepted traveler's currency in all, with the exception of Martinique (as previously noted) where the Euro is preferred, but US$ is also accepted. And to the OP, absolutely in Jamaica and Cozumel. Just be sure to request US$ as change with your transaction if preferred.