Spirit..... Aegean Gems

Anyone on this cruise 1st April ?Has anyone any good tips for trips on the itineries Alanya,Rhodes.Athens,Crete,Kusadarci and Limmosol? Sounds like a good itinery Has anyone been on the Spirit? Is it anything like celebration?What about the dress code is it dressy in the evenings?Do they have a black and white night. Any ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.;););)

Rhodes - great port of call. I'd say just walk off and DiY. Lovely place to explore - doubt whether any excursion would take you anywhere better!

Kusadasi would definitely recommend the half day Ephesus trip. Don't think you gain a great deal from the whole day one other than lunch somewhere but it's a really impressive site. It may not be too hot when you go but if it is make sure you take water, suncream, hat as there is no cover and the heat really does reflect off the marble pavers. Shoes/sandals with a decent tread are also recommended as the surface can be slippy.

Athens I'd suggest you do bit of research and decide what you most want to see then decide on the best way to do it. If you want a guide then consider an excursion or the HoHo bus which you can pick up outside the port - they have headphone commentaries.

In Athens it's easy to adopt a DiY approach using the X80 express bus which stops outside the port, takes about 20 mins to the centre and costs €4 return. It drops you by Hadrian's Arch where the Thomson 'Athens On Your Own' trip drops and collects you - and costs a whole lot more!

My choice for a first visit would be to get a map, plan your route, get off early to beat the crowds, then make for the Acropolis before the tours get there and it gets too hot. It's about a ten minute easy walk from the bus stop along a kind of Boulevard which skirts the base of the Acropolis. You buy your tickets at a booth. There are quite a few steps though up to the entrance to the Parthenon. It's very impressive up there. We downloaded the free Rick Steves' audio guide to the Acropolis onto our phones before we went so we could wander around at our own pace and find out what everything was.

Once you come down from the Acropolis, there is a lot of interest in the immediate area: the Agora (entry covered by the Acropolis ticket iirc), the local, flea and tourist markets of Monastriaki and the Plaka which is the old town with tourist shops and a great atmosphere and cafe culture. All these are close by (do need a map though), are mainly pedestrianised areas and can easily be done in a day. The Parliament and Syntagma Sq are also within walking distance but for me I'd concentrate on the area around the Acropolis. Plenty to see.

Make sure you leave in good time to get back to the ship though if you are DiY. I think the bus runs every half hour. You can pick up the schedule on line. We were on the Acropolis just after 8.00!!:eek: and were ready to be heading back by 2/3 pm.

Sorry can't help with your other ports.

Enjoy yourself whatever you decide to do.

alanya is nice to just to get off and walk around some good shops, and a fort with a ship museam all nearby

ag nik is also a nice port to look around but the ship does a trip to spinalonga, jackanne has done this trip

we are on agean gems on the 15th of april, the spirit is the sister ship to the celebration, but still has the explorers bar and cinema, same locations of bars, entertainment areas, the kids club is on deck 7, there is a formal night on the sea day which will be the thursday

going back on for my 6th time our fave ship

Edited by mtt

Thanks for that. We've been on the Celebration so glad to know the Spirit is a mirror image. Have been to Spinalonga on a previous trip, we just booked from the local quay no problem rather than an official tour - good if you've read the book, definitely worthwhile

Once on the sea front of Limmasol the old part of the town is across the road, not sure where the ship pulls in but think it is at the end where the old town starts.

Most of it is pedestrianised and lot s of streets going off the main street.

If you have full day there as we do as we are doing a back to back cruise boarding on the 25th March, you could head over to Curium where the ruins are there is also a lovely beach with a couple of resturants.

You would probably need to to take a taxi as public buses are few and far between. But you could check that out, we used to live in Cyprus so we know Limmasol well.;)

alanya is nice to just to get off and walk around some good shops, and a fort with a ship museam all nearby

ag nik is also a nice port to look around but the ship does a trip to spinalonga, jackanne has done this trip

we are on agean gems on the 15th of april, the spirit is the sister ship to the celebration, but still has the explorers bar and cinema, same locations of bars, entertainment areas, the kids club is on deck 7, there is a formal night on the sea day which will be the thursday

going back on for my 6th time our fave ship

Thanks for the tips MTT & Kruzseeka, we're thinking of booking this one. My favourite ship too and it'll be our 6th time on her as well. Does anyone know who the CD will be?

Edited by rookery

Thanks for the tips MTT & Kruzseeka, we're thinking of booking this one. My favourite ship too and it'll be our 6th time on her as well. Does anyone know who the CD will be?

cd is katy who was on the majesty, not sure of her surname, and shep is acd who was on the dream, the band will be the top men

Try as I might, I cant find details of this or for that matter, any Thomson roll call. Is there one? Did I imagine it? Has it moved? Was it part of the chancellors budget cuts yesterday? I clicked on a roll call link but Thomson not on the drop-down box. Not a sausage....roll....call.

Try as I might, I cant find details of this or for that matter, any Thomson roll call. Is there one? Did I imagine it? Has it moved? Was it part of the chancellors budget cuts yesterday? I clicked on a roll call link but Thomson not on the drop-down box. Not a sausage....roll....call.

Here is a link to the page

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=818