Castaway Cay Snorkeling

MelMazz

We'll be traveling on Magic next week and visiting Castaway Cay. We own snorkel gear, but not the vests. I've seen that they rent equipment on the island and am wondering if we'll need to rent vests- if it's just part of the package, so we'd have to rent the whole thing either way. Just trying to decide if I'm okay bringing ours or if I should save the space and just rent when we're there.

This is our first Disney cruise and we booked last minute, so looking over this board has been SO helpful! Thanks to all of you who've provided so much amazing info! :)

Vests are mandatory, but there is no charge for them. They can be obtained at Gil's (where you get snorkel gear) or at most of the lifeguard stations near the snorkel area. You do not have to inflate them, but you must wear them.

While it isn't generally advertised, you can rent fins only--great for people who have their own mask and snorkel but don't want to take suitcase space for the fins. And of course you can rent the entire package.

You can get a vest there free of charge. I just got back from a trip there on the Disney Magic (Jan 11 sail date) and found the water to be a bit chilly for snorkeling. I bought some snorkeling equipment before we left for our trip but decided last minute not to take it and just rent there if we decided to snorkel (the cost would have been the same). I'm glad now that I decided not to lug it along! We did end up renting one set of gear for our group but didn't use it much. I'm not an experienced snorkeler, and the cool water made it difficult for me for some reason to not breathe through my nose. Coming from New England, however, the warm (although slightly cloudy) weather we had was more than wonderful for lounging around the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last time we were at Castaway Cay, I brought my own gear to snorkel...including a short wet suit. It was a November trip and coming from South Florida the water seemed kind of cold to me, so I put it on, along with a beanie cap that I wear when diving in cooler water. We were out in the water for over an hour and I was fine. My son lives in Michigan and he was fine too (used to the colder water up-north I guess) but my SIL from south Florida was suffering a little bit with the water temperatures.

"cold water for swimming" is a very subjective term .....

I live near Port Canaveral which is a bit north of Castaway Cay ..... I see people swimming in the ocean today and I call them tourists

on the other hand I grew up in Chicago and when in HS we took an annual trip to the Michigan Dunes State Park every Memorial Day .... and we SWAM. Wanna guess what the water temp was?????

Water temp at the Cocoa Pier today is 74 ....

I went for a spring dive trip to Cayman last year and the water was in the 80's .... I wore my wet suit

Living near the port now, I do not even think about getting in my pool unless the temp is above 85 .....

dd after a dive at Cayman ... water 80+ and air too ...... but not 90!

100_0125_zps90d2ea40.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

So true about the water temp- we're in VA and my kids would probably at least attempt a swim even right now! ;) We'll see how it goes.

I have to ask- any chance your Cayman trip took you to the Brac? My father in law just retired from the dive shop there. :)

So true about the water temp- we're in VA and my kids would probably at least attempt a swim even right now! ;) We'll see how it goes.

I have to ask- any chance your Cayman trip took you to the Brac? My father in law just retired from the dive shop there. :)

Most recent trip was not to Brac, but have been there many times staying at Brac Reef Resort since the mid 80's

Most recent trip was not to Brac, but have been there many times staying at Brac Reef Resort since the mid 80's

Ha! That's awesome. My FIL is Ed Beaty. Not sure if you'd remember him but he's been at Brac Reef since the early 80s!

Always fun to bump into people who have been to that little slice of paradise!