Transportation from Southampton to London

moses0

We are taking our first QM2 voyage on the 4th of September from NYC to Southampton. Then 2 weeks in UK. Our first stop is London for 2 nights. Any advice on transportation from QM2 at Southampton to London Westminster area would be greatly appreciated. There are four of us traveling onto London. We are all over 65 and will have plenty of luggage. I understand that although we may dock around 6:30 am we probably won't disembark till between 9-11 am. We booked this trip long ago even before we knew CSN were onboard. What a bonus! So looking forwrd to this trip. Thanks for any help.

Hi

Basically, you have three choices; train, bus or car.

There are several options on the train when it comes to pricing. Whichever you choose it needs to be booked in advance as buying a ticket on the same day is extortionate.

The problem is, when you get to London, you will need a taxi, or have to cart all your luggage up and down to use the Underground, bearing in mind that not all stations have escalators or lifts that go all the way.

The bus is possible, if you like buses.

A car/mini van would cost about £150 and go from door to door.

http://www.tmr-executive-cars.co.uk/ or http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html will both provide an excellent service, and if there are four of you, it will probably work out cheaper than all the other alternatives.

Good luck.

Stewart

There is also the option of hiring a self drive car, dropping your travelling companions at the hotel and then returning the car to a nearby depot.

You can hire one to suit your requirements and it allows you to stop and explore as and when you please en route.

This will be cheaper than having a driven car.

Thanks for that.

I see there is a train right to Victoria for $28 first class

It leaves at 11:15 is that enough time to get off the ship and in taxi to train station?

The station is no more than a 5-10 minute taxi ride, so yes. There are regular trains to Waterloo from Southampton which run direct too.

Thanks for that.

I see there is a train right to Victoria for $28 first class

It leaves at 11:15 is that enough time to get off the ship and in taxi to train station?

That's plenty of time, but you will still need a taxi to the railway station.

$28 seems a bit cheap, are you sure about the price? When I checked it's £66 (that's over $100) each.

yeah it's for real and that is first class $9 second class

RailEurope

11:13AM Southampton

1:46PM London Victoria

2hr

33min

SN130902;HRH;SN130901

from

$9 View

from

$28

We have taken that service and must advise you it is basically a commuter train. Unlike the mainline trains which have excellent First Class seating (and in many cases complimentary meals and drinks) this First Class is no big deal. There are double seats on both sides of the aisle - just like Standard Class, but with a bit more leg-room. There is very little luggage space on those commuter-type trains. A kind station attendant in Southampton put our two cases on empty seats. If there hadn't been empty seats I don't know what we would have done.

As a keen user of rail services it pains me to recommend you take Cunard's coach transfer or hire a car service from Smiths. We have been doing that for the past six crossings and have found it to be convenient. Once we get settled in a hotel, however, all our travel is by train:).

I agree with david,mississauga. Do not take the train if you have a lot of luggage. They don't have checked baggage on these trains you'll have to find space for it all. Once you get to Waterloo, you'll have to get a cab (or two) to take you to the hotel. Not worth the stress.

We always use smithsforairports.com. Go there and get a quote, no obligation. You'll be picked up at the pier, get help with your luggage and be dropped off right at the door to your hotel. It's worth every penny.

We usually have them pick us up at about 9:30AM, but they'll do it anytime you want.

Well I guess I'm stuck with the train. We are going to Victoria and being picked up there so that's not a problem. Hopefully we will meet that kind attendant with seats to spare. :) Thanks for the come back guys I guess i jumped the gun:roll eyes:

There are 2 train services from Southampton to London. The first goes to Waterloo Station on South West Trains and takes around 1 hour 30 minutes, the second goes to Victoria on Southern Trains and takes an extra hour.

Depending on which bit of London you need to be in it might be worth it.

We are on the train to Victoria takes 2hr 33mins. Where we are staying is 5 mins away from the station and we could walk if need be but we are being picked up by family. Our friends traveling with us are at the Double Tree a short taxi ride away.

You folks are so helpful thanks

If you take the train to Waterloo the taxi rank is right outside the station, it's an organised affair so you don't have to go and hail a cab yourself. The Black Cab drivers help with your luggage and will have you to the Victoria area in no time at all.

We used the Waterloo train (in the opposite direction) earlier this month and the train was modern, punctual with place for luggage storage.

cool we have booked train into Victoria hopefully it also has room for bags

You should be alright, the early trains into London (especially during the working week) are crowded but if you're on an 11.15am one you'll be fine.

cool we have booked train into Victoria hopefully it also has room for bags

The train we took with luggage was mid to late morning and it worked out all right, even though I'm reluctant to try it again. I guess we are getting too old to fret over luggage:). We have since used this line on mid-day trains to or from Southampton without any luggage and, although only three carriages, they weren't full.

On previous discussion about taking a taxi from the ship to the station, it has been mentioned that taxi drivers will usually ask you whether you are going in the direction of London or Bournemouth so they can drop you at the more convenient side. In my experience these Victoria trains have always used the centre platforms (2 & 3) so it won't matter which side you arrive at. Here is a map of the station.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_SOU/plan.html?rtnloc=SOU

I highs recommend smith. We use them every year. For the convenience the price is great. I do not want to Be transferring trains with all my luggage. They are totally worth it - friendly , reliable and reasonable :). Enjoy your trip.

We are taking our first QM2 voyage on the 4th of September from NYC to Southampton. Then 2 weeks in UK. Our first stop is London for 2 nights. Any advice on transportation from QM2 at Southampton to London Westminster area would be greatly appreciated. There are four of us traveling onto London. We are all over 65 and will have plenty of luggage. I understand that although we may dock around 6:30 am we probably won't disembark till between 9-11 am. We booked this trip long ago even before we knew CSN were onboard. What a bonus! So looking forwrd to this trip. Thanks for any help.

Have not read all the posts but go with Big Mac next post

Car Service beats anything else door to door I have used Smiths for many years just email them tell them whats happening and they will sort you out.

Enjoy they even stop on the way if you want to see something, extra cost obviously.