Discovery Walks Tour in any port -- Can I Book on the Ship?

2552phxcrzr

I am reviewing the cruise vacation guide and it shows what is basically a DIY walking tour with audio devices that we might consider doing. For once, the price seems to be less than booking the same online from the company that provides the devices.

Has anyone done one of these ... in any port on an Oceania cruise? Is it possible, in general, to wait and book these once we are onboard ... would rather use my OBC to pay for it since I have plenty and will likely not use all of it otherwise. Also, is it possible to use my own ear pods instead of the ones that come with the device?

Edited by h2so4

Also, is it possible to use my own ear pods instead of the ones that come with the device?

If hygiene is your concern, ours (on a different cruise line) were new, cellophane wrapped and were not given to other passengers at the end. I don't know whether your plug will fit in the device's plug.

Thank you both.

We always have wet wipes to wipe down earbuds and such before using them, even if they come out of a sealed packet. It's more that some earbuds hurt my ears, so I was thinking my own would work better. I'll have them with me anyway, so I can always try.

Thanks for the Rick Steves suggestion; will check it out. We actually have all of our DIY plans in place with lots of notes from TripAdvisor and other sources. The Discovery Walks just sounded interesting since we would be doing it at our own pace with "someone talking in our ear" so to speak.

in 2009, we were able to purchase and download Discovery Tours from their website, to our own iPod before we left home....just looked, but can't find the website now....

Thanks, I looked at their website and it says $60 ... which is why I was considering the option with Nautica as that's only $49. In any event, thanks to another suggestion, we downloaded the Rick Steves podcasts ... not exactly the same, but will work for our upcoming trip.