Question about the Fantasy class ships...

momof4girls

This is probably directed more at families with preteens. My girls have always enjoyed the Dive In movies on cruises. We are going on the Elation in October, and they are wondering what there is to do after dinner? We have done shows before so I know we will have that option. They don't enjoy the kids clubs as they like to hang with mom and dad.

I'm nervous for them since they've only been on Dream class ships. I personally love the smaller ships, and I just don't want them feeling disappointed. I'm also nervous it will be a total "booze cruise" since it's a 5 day cruise.

Even during peak times I would not call it a "booze cruise". In October Schools and Colleges are in so it will be a little more of older and families. Definitely pre-planned. Not to say there won't be some partiers. I have been 2 years in a row on July 4th week on the Elation. All good. BUT, it has less food options and NO Dive In movies. Just typical dining rooms and buffets. I am not sure if it is dry dock by October. They may or may not be adding some of those like Guys Burgers, Blue Iguana, etc. Others here likely know more.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

October on the Elation might be closer to a snooze cruise than a booze cruise... lol... but seriously, october is generally a quieter crowd... it will have some of the 2.0 upgrades... preteens might miss the dive in movies but hopefully they find some other kids to "hang out" with...

We cruised Fantasy in January when my girls were 13 and 14. We hit horrible weather, it was cold, there weren't many teens on the ship and unfortunately because of the weather, the upper decks were only open two out of our 5 days. They went to the teen club a few times, but there was hardly ever anyone in there.

I love a quiet ship with few people. Unfortunately, preteens/teens get bored on a quiet ship. They DID have some good shows though. And they also joined in on the dance lessons that were offered a few times.

October on the Elation might be closer to a snooze cruise than a booze cruise... lol... but seriously, october is generally a quieter crowd... it will have some of the 2.0 upgrades... preteens might miss the dive in movies but hopefully they find some other kids to "hang out" with...

Unless it's during Fall Break. They might show movies during seadays in the aft comedy lounge. That's where we've seen them on the Inspiration.

Unless it's during Fall Break. They might show movies during seadays in the aft comedy lounge. That's where we've seen them on the Inspiration.

I agree. It definitely could be fall break. We always cruise in October for that very reason. There is usually quite a few kids on those cruises.

I didn't even think about it being fall break since we have fall break here the weekend before. :o I know it will have some of the 2.0 upgrades but I've read numerous threads about the waterworks being done after drydock. What that exactly means, I don't know. Really don't want a bunch of construction going on when we're cruising though...

We have sailed a number of times on the Ecstasy and the Fantasy with our two teenage boys. I frequently see in the fun times a scheduled movie in the evening in the main lounge. You might keep an eye out for that. My boys are fairly easy going and always find something to do. If they don't feel like participating in anything, they will go back to the cabin and watch one of the daily movies on the TV. Have Fun!

Thank you for your replies! I'm sure they won't get bored, but it will be a different cruise for us since we will have to rely on other things to fill our evenings (which is ok for me, I like some change).

Now I just have to cross our fingers and toes that HMC doesn't get missed!

My kids didn't really like to hang out at the kids club either. We sailed on the Elation with a 10, 14, and 16 year old. At night, the kids enjoyed night time swimming. The pools only had a few families and there was still bar service. They also liked to go to the shows in the main lounge. One night, they stayed in the cabin to order room service and watch the incabin movie together and we went to the adult comedy show. If they wanted to do something together, we would have but they were excited because it was a movie they were dying to see. (cant remember what it was). All in all, the kids found things to do and they had a great time. It was their first cruise though. Make sure to give them a heads up before you go so they have their expectations in the right place. I love the Fantasy class ships myself.

Thank you for your replies! I'm sure they won't get bored, but it will be a different cruise for us since we will have to rely on other things to fill our evenings (which is ok for me, I like some change).

Now I just have to cross our fingers and toes that HMC doesn't get missed!

On the Fantasy Class ships, we always pack a Tablet/DVD player, HDMI/AV cables (to connect to the TV). We take array of DVD's, just in "case" we have bad weather or need to take a break for a while. And don't forget to pack headphones....:)

The in room movies, although OK, are not usually new releases. (nor are our DVDs recently:):cool:) In a pinch, we break out a "Bond" movie, always a hit...:)