Carnival Splendor Social Wifi plans

Boomer_Bob

When I buy Wifi, I buy the top tier plan and it's slow.

So I would expect the lower plans to be even slower.

Yup. Just what I figured. I'm not much for standing there waiting for my phone to load something and waiting and waiting .... I think I'll just take a pass. Thanks for the info

• 6 months later...

I was thinking of buying the social plan; we leave in a couple of days. I'd just use it to post pictures from the trip on Instagram and/or Facebook, and maybe message people from time to time. But if it's obnoxiously slow I won't bother (maybe that's why they say no refunds after you've activated it...) Anyone have more recent experience on Splendor's wifi?

It worked well with us on the January Panama Canal cruise on the Splendor. We used FB messenger and could message back and forth without any problem. We used our iPad. It was easy to send pictures and messages. I only remember one message taking a while on the 13 day cruise. We were well satisfied.

I was thinking of buying the social plan; we leave in a couple of days. I'd just use it to post pictures from the trip on Instagram and/or Facebook, and maybe message people from time to time. But if it's obnoxiously slow I won't bother (maybe that's why they say no refunds after you've activated it...) Anyone have more recent experience on Splendor's wifi?

I'm on the same cruise as you, and I already pre-purchased the top-tier plan, so perhaps we can compare speeds for facebook, etc. I expect to have to check emails and perhaps put out some work fires while I'm cruising (and if so I'm going to bill-back my job for the cost of the plan), so I just thought I'd bite the bullet and spring for the top plan, since it was only $4 per day higher than the mid-tier plan that you need for email.

Can you use the "Social" plan for simple emails (or simple texts) ?

I don't use FB or any of that other stuff.

I could be wrong but I thought the social plan (which is the lowest plan) is only for social networking like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc. If you want one for emails that would be the middle plan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We got back on Saturday; I pre-purchased the Social Media plan ($28 for a 7-day cruise versus $35 if buying on board). It allows you to use Facebook and Instagram (and a couple others such as Whatsapp that I don't have). You can't use it for emails, though oddly it would display the number of emails I had on the screen icon (iphone 6s Plus), so you knew how many were building up over the days, but you couldn't see the emails. I could send texts while in the home port with the Airplane mode on, but after sailing, texts no longer worked. So. The wifi worked...okay. I was able to post photos on Instagram and Facebook and send them through Messenger, and it worked fairly quickly early on in the cruise (usually under 10 seconds at non-peak times to post one photo, 30 seconds or so in peak times of 10am-8pm). But as the cruise went on, it get steadily worse, presumably due to more people signing up throughout the week, or even just using the Hub app which also used the wifi. By the second to last day, it was nearly impossible to post anything from 8am-10pm. I tried sending a photo over Messenger just after 8am, and left it on in the background to see how long it would take. It wasn't received till 8.5 hours later. But for most of the cruise, I was able to share photos to people back home without too much difficulty.

Yea I purchased 1 plan to split between my wife and I on the Fascination in May. It will mostly be for her but I can easily check some stuff when she is off of it. Hopefully it is decent enough and I am happy it uses Whats App. I also like that I can use it for airlines as I need to checkin to my Southwest flight on the last night.

Would of likely purchased two plans if the ship we were on wasn’t so port intensive so unlikely to be seperated much throughout the week but this will be a decent barometer for future cruises.