Le Havre question

P&O SUE

Morning all,

We are calling at Le Havre on our cruise in October and would like to visit Rouen. The ship does a "on your own" tour which would be something we would like but we seem to be in port quite late so I'm wondering how easy is it to do this ouselves on the train? How far is the station from the port etc? Anyone done this and can advise?

Edited by P&O SUE

Morning all,

We are calling at Le Havre on our cruise in October and would like to visit Rouen. The ship does a "on your own" tour which would be something we would like but we seem to be in port quite late so I'm wondering how easy is it to do this ouselves on the train? How far is the station from the port etc? Anyone done this and can advise?

Hi Sue

I've not done the trip but a quick Google 'Le Havre to Rouen' throws up several articles. There appear to be 13 trains each day and tickets are €13-€14 each - Journey times seem to average about 1 hour 50 mins outwith rush hour.

Rouen is somewhere I'm always driving through/around, rather than stopping at, and my last proper visit was almost 40 years ago! Mrs Marchie is determined that we'll stop there one day - who knows - it might be October!

Thanks all for the input, Tom's guides have lots of useful info.

Not sure where the P&O shuttle drops off in Le Havre, would be handy to know if it was near the station.

Not quite at 60 yet! I thought it should be about an hour on the train though.

Marchie, we have been on a land holiday in the area so been to lots of other places like Honfluer and D Day beaches. Rouen looks like a pictuesque place for a wander! And the Joan of Arc link too of course.

Hi, I deliberated this on our November cruise and reached the conclusion both Honfleur and Rouen were best done via P&O trip. I opted for Honfleur, it happened to be market day and I had no regrets. In the afternoon I got the ship shuttle to Le Harve, I have looked for the port guide showing the drop off, but alas I have lost it - however, it was at a big square near Notre Dame, if you type 'Le Havre' into Google Earth the square it zooms into is where the drop off was for us - I couldn't see the station but you may have better luck. You might find this link useful for trains:

http://www.thetrainline-europe.com/

Edited by Florry

Thanks very much for that Florry :) My DH is happy to just get the P&O "On your own" trip but I thought if it was easy I'd try it. Waiting to find out the cost though as my trips aren't on my personaliser yet.