Alaska in June!

bebop bonnie

We will be, with other family members, on the Mariner this June! I'm appropriately excited to go back to Alaska (first trip was 25 years ago!) and just as excited to be back on the Mariner. We've been on all the Regent ships, going back to the Diamond....but it's been a while since we've done a Regent cruise, and Mariner was always our favorite.

I've been reading the Regent board for years, but now it's time to pay better attention! In Prime 7, Sette Mare and Signatures are the tables for 6 round? We'll be flying home from Anchorage. The train from Seward sounds fun...but at the ANC airport are there are any first class lounges? Seems Delta doesn't have one and the Priority Lounge closed. The Taku Glacier Lodge Flight and Feast and the Sea Otter excursion both sound terrific. Any thoughts about those two in particular? I've somewhat surmised that first night in CR can be a bit chaotic with service. Is that a valid assumption? I'm certain I'll have more questions as we get closer. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experiences!

Sorry I can't answer your specific questions other than to say that we prefer to dine at one of the specialty restaurants the first night; just seems more relaxed. We save our reintroduction to CR for the second night, when actually things are just as crowded, though not if one skips the Captain's Reception beforehand and goes to CR earlier.

There are lots and lots of reports on Taku and Sea Otter: Just use the "search" function at top. (We loved Sea Otter; didn't do Taku.)

I did a long (way too long) report on our Mariner Alaska trip from some years ago. (The title was something like "Yes: an Alaska cruise is pretty cool despite not-so-great weather" The first post was Aug. 16, 2009, so quite a while ago.)

Remember to do a "Search" on the Alaska board as well, for specifics about various excursions.

Enjoy!

Edited by poss

Like Poss, we prefer to dine either in P7 or Signatures the first night of a cruise. It just seems to set a special note for the start of the journey. I know there are 6 tops in all the restaurants, not sure about 8 tops though.

Make sure you sign up for the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion. Sea Otter excursion is also really good.

American, United, and Delta do not have lounges at ANC, but Alaska does.

Yup, we'll most likely eat at P7 the first night.Thank you all for confirming that thought! And skipping the Captain's Reception to arrive at CR before the crowds is a great idea! We are flying out of ANC on Delta in (barely!) first. Unfortunately the Alaska Board Room no longer allows Delta or AmEx Platinum...but we can obtain day passes. Even the Priority Club Lounge closed :-(

Searching back over older trip reports has been really helpful. Thanks poss, and everyone for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, wavefairy. I think Delta and Alaska Air have some internal issues currently...Delta first class can not use the Alaska Board Room now!!I'm told we can buy a day pass, which may be the only option. I also believe Regent will provide a day room at the Hilton or Sheraton. Our flight is early evening so this isn't a big deal, but we'd like to be comfortable!