Regent History- pre-cruise hotel night

towel-animal

I've just booked my first Regent Cruise and have spent the last couple weeks researching everything I could about the brand. It seems a lot of the older literature I've read about Regent on other travel sites, as well as older posts here, implies that a pre-cruise hotel night used to be included with ALL suite categories. Was that indeed the case? And if so, when/why did that change to only Concierge level and higher? Did that cause a big stink with loyal cruisers? This isn't an issue for us as we've booked a Concierge Suite. I suppose I'm just curious.

WOW - what a great question. You are correct that the pre-cruise hotel night used to be included for all categories. When the "concierge" program went into effect, some of us (especially me) went ballistic. It was not simply about the pre-cruise hotel but also the fact that concierge level passengers can book excursions and dining reservations before passengers in lower level cabins. Prior to the debut of the concierge program, there was a plan to allow upper level cabins to board before lower level cabins.

It is important to know that we are always in penthouse or above suites so it did not affect us. However, IMO, if you are on a luxury cruise ship, everyone should be treated the same once you step foot out of your suite (obviously, in the higher level suite you have the more in-suite amenities you have).

After an outcry from loyal Regent cruisers, Regent did not implement the "special" boarding process but did implement the concierge program. In a way I understood it - even if I did not like it. When Radisson/Regent built their ships, the lowest level suite was the same size as all suites below the PH level (except for the Navigator where the PH suites are the same size as the lowest level suites). For this reason, Regent had difficultly selling the mid-level suites. The concierge program has helped with this.

So, the bottom line for me is that all passengers are treated the same when they step foot out of their suite. The question for me is whether the concierge program is even needed for the Explorer as the lowest level suites are already smaller than what they consider "concierge level". IMO, concierge suites are not necessary on the Explorer. It does bother me that the Explorer is set up the same as on Oceania in terms of concierge suites. As long as Regent does not have special areas that passengers in upper level suites can access, I'm okay with it (note: Oceania does have such places).

This is probably much more information than you were asking for but you obviously hit a nerve with me. Again, thanks for asking the question:)

P.S. I notice that you are a NCL customer. May I ask why you booked Regent and what your expectations are? Thanks:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat, thank you so much for the detailed reply. It's interesting to hear the rationale behind Regent's decision, which does make sense, although I can certainly understand the frustration you felt. A very fair point that the Explorer seems to not have the need for the Concierge program, although full disclosure, a Concierge Suite on the Explorer is exactly what I booked (the early access to excursions and as well as the pre-cruise night without the need bother with air deviation appealed to us).

P.S. I notice that you are a NCL customer. May I ask why you booked Regent and what your expectations are? Thanks:-)

Yes, I was sailing NCL because up until recently, I was both a graduate student and a solo traveler. Due to my tight break schedule, I was limited to week long Caribbean cruises out of Miami (conveniently my school was in Miami). My budget also had single supplements to consider. So lines like Regent weren't really options at the time, as well as any itinerary that involved flying days to get to the ship simply because of time constraints.

Now that I've started my career, have generous vacation days, someone to travel with, and no student loans to pay off (thank the lord!), I'm in a position to broaden my cruising horizons and sail lines like Regent. I am looking forward to the more refined and intimate experience Regent can provide with their service and smaller ships. I also appreciate that the extras I had to add "à la carte" (i.e. drink packages, specialty restaurants packages, etc...) are standard on Regent. It will be nice to leave my key in my pocket and not sign slip after slip.

I'm very fortunate to have parents who filled my childhood with spectacular and elegant land vacations; so it's a wonderful feeling to be able to provide this caliber of vacation for myself.

What a great story! It is so nice to hear a young person acknowledge the wonderful things that their parents have done for them and you also have much to be proud of.

It sounds like you will have a great time on the Explorer -- you definitely picked the right ship to begin your Regent adventures. The only problem that I can see is that you may be spoiled forever;)

Have a spectacular cruise!

Edited by Travelcat2

Actually - that benefit was not always included. It was if your airline flight would not arrive in time to be on the ship at a reasonable time frame and for long haul travel. Then it was eliminated - if you wanted to come in early you needed to pay for it. It was an add on - I remember staying at the Waldorf Astoria pre cruise. Then they brought it back. Then they took it away unless you were Concierge. All the cabins were the same in benefits and size - just location made it a higher cost.