First Time Cruiser

Shaquara

My husband and I are booked on the 14 day Alaska cruise in May. Since this is the first cruise we have ever taken can anyone give us some ideas as to what to expect? We specifically picked Regent because the the small ship size and the fact that everything is inclusive. We are really getting excited about our adventure!

Without specific questions, it is hard to answer your questions, but here are some things to think about, we have been to Alaska with Regent.

1. Review all the excursions offered before the date you can book them so you have a good idea of what you want.

2. If an excursion you want is full get on the wait list because things change all the time.

3. Be sure to attend the block party that will be scheduled in the first couple of days, that is a great way to meet your neighbors.

4. If not busy with an excursion, go to trivia and join a team.

5. Make sure to meet your cabin attendants and let them know if there is anything they can do for you including what refreshments you want stocked in your cabin.

6. Think about room service while getting ready in the morning, delivery is punctual.

7. The majority of your fellow passengers will be great to be around.

8. Especially if at breakfast or lunch in La Veranda, if you have empty seats at your table and you see someone looking for a seat, don't hesitate to ask them to sit with you. If it is a port day, everyone has a schedule they want to keep and looking for a table doesn't help. You will also meet interesting people.

9. There may be one or two ports where you can do two excursions for a day, depending on the timing. The web site will let you book them if it will work out.

10. Enjoy your dinner, don't rush through it. You can make a main course out of appetizers or order something from the main course as an appetizer, basically what ever you want.

11. As you leave the dinning room look for the bowl of candied ginger which is nice an refreshing.

12. Let yourself be pampered and waited on.

13. Read reviews on cruise critic on both your ship and your itinerary.

Our first cruise was also Alaska and on Regent - 5 years ago. It was a very good experience because as much as my husband and I have done lots of travel - we hadn't done a cruise, because I really don't love being "struck" on the ship or leaving a town at 5pm because I have to. (All of our trips have been non tour, so the only schedule we needed to follow was mine!) We had dinner some nights by ourselves, we met another couple that we enjoyed talking with and had dinner with them, sat at the captains table one night, etc. We were in our 50s but hung out with a group 30 year siblings at the black jack table at night and did karaoke with their mom one night. We also split up for some of the excursions - I went rock climbing with young folks (did just fine) and the DH went kayaking. Don't be afraid to ask for something. My husband likes Hendricks gin and mentioning that at the dinner with captain resulted in a bottle appearing in our room after dinner. The best part was I didn't need to show a badge to get a drink and if I didn't like it - I could tell them try again or go find another person that could make it better. Enjoy your trip.

mj_holiday - what a great list! Wish we could save it somewhere so that others can refer to it. It sounds like you went to Alaska on the Navigator because you mentioned the difficulty finding seats in La Veranda. I'm happy to see the Mariner back in Alaska as the ship is more suitable for Alaska than the Navigator in my opinion. One big plus is that La Veranda is about three times the size of the one on the Navigator.

Regarding item #2 above, agree completely but would like to add that if the waiting list has not cleared for an excursion you want, go to the theater about 20 minutes before the time everyone else will be checking in for that excursion (Passages - your daily Regent newspaper will list the times). Ask to be put on their list. Unfortunately, because the excursions are included, some people do not cancel their excursions and simply fail to show up. After everyone checks in, if there are no-shows, they check in people from the list.

Packing for Alaska can present questions. Most of us find that layering clothing is better than wearing heavy clothes in the morning when it is cold and then being too warm in the afternoon. Your suite will have an umbrella and there will also be umbrellas by the gangway when you exit the ship.

IMO, you selected the best Alaska itinerary of 2016. The weather is generally beautiful in May, children are still in school so there are not many (if any) children on board and you begin and end your cruise in Vancouver (the biggest plus of all). We were booked on your cruise but cancelled due to a conflict with another trip we have planned.

Have a great cruise!

P.S. Shaquara, I noticed two questions that you posted on the “Alaska” board. On our two “May” Alaska cruises, we did not see one mosquito. Still, it may be a good idea to have some mosquito spray on hand – just in case. In terms of “lanyards” – you’re right – no one on Regent uses them – perhaps because the only time your room key is needed is to get onto or off of the ship. I purchased a small Regent shoulder handbag from the Boutique (only about $12 and I used on board credits). It is light and it can hold my I.D., the room card, money, Kleenex and small things like that. Other times I’ve asked my DH to put it in his pocket.

Edited by Travelcat2

We are on the cruise with you. Looking forward to it very much. You need to go online and book your excursions now and wait list for ones that you want but that are listed as full. Excursions have been open for booking for quite a while, so get on that today.

Dining reservations open in about 2 more weeks. Book online as soon as they open up.

Weather in Alaska is unpredictable and very changeable so be prepared with lots of layers. You definitely need waterproof jacket, and I am bringing my waterproof pants too.

You will love the ship, the passengers and the service. One thing that we learned from our 7 Regent cruises - if you want anything just ask your cabin attendants, the Concierge, or the Reception Desk "problems" are resolved quickly! I always recommend asking the Maitre'D to have you at a "share" table for dinner; you'll meet fascinating fellow cruisers.

Have a great cruise.

PS: It will be VERY cold on deck when near the glaciers; knit hats and warm gloves are a must.

Remember that all-inclusive includes room service. Suppose you're sitting on your balcony and get a little chilly, you can order a couple Irish coffees from room service and they will arrive shortly.

It didn't occur to me to do that until midway in our first Regent cruise for some reason, but it's a very cool thing.

Remember that all-inclusive includes room service. Suppose you're sitting on your balcony and get a little chilly, you can order a couple Irish coffees from room service and they will arrive shortly.

It didn't occur to me to do that until midway in our first Regent cruise for some reason, but it's a very cool thing.

Wow - that sounds absolutely divine! I'll have to do that!